TV squealing

Username: Bdkrazy

Post Number: 2
SO I turned on my 32" Sanyo flat screen TV today and it was making a horrible high pitched sound. So I turned it off for a couple hours hoping it would be okay and it is still making the noise... any ideas??

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
The high voltage flyback transformer is going out. You really need a service call on this one.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 117
I concur!

Bronze Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 62
Kill that pig!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
To be fair, what I've noticed is - a lot of times, it's just a matter of cold solder joints under the flyback transformer.

For some reason, these flyback solder joints like to crack. And, you can only see the cracks with a lupe magnifier. So, if it was me, I'd break out the soldering iron and go to town on the circuit board.

If you have a magnifier, all the better. At the risk of showing my geekyness, this is what I use:

2.x OptiVisor w/OptiLOUPE Option

Worth it's weight in gold - no kidding! :-)

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
I agree with your analysis about potential cold solder joints. However usually someone who posts a question like the original poster will generally not be able to even identify the flyback transformer much less own a soldering gun and be comfortable performing the task.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
Oops!

Um... Cameron (and others), please don't mess with flyback transformers unless you know what you're doing! They produce about 25,000 volts, and they'll 'bite you' if you aren't careful.

Besides making nice hissing noises, they're excellent at creating heart attacks...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us