Splitting cable to tv and pc

ZuniGypsy
Unregistered guest
i would like to split my internet cable to a tv in the same room. i pay for both services. i'm wondering if this will compromise either my tv's reception or my internet connection. if so, will an amplifier help? thanks for the help!

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Depending on your initial signal strength it might degrade the signal to a point where you are unhappy. If this happens and you feel the need to purchase an amplifier be sure to buy a two-way amp since an STB needs two way communication to work properly.

If you have a splitter you need to understand that one leg out of the splitter will have a signal half as strong as the other. The strongest leg will have a 3.5 db loss and the 2nd will have a 7 db loss. This is why you need a very strong initial signal when using splitters.

xvxvxvx

ZuniGypsy
Unregistered guest
i appreciate the help xv........ any suggestions on a quality amp? and by the way; what does STB stand for?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
STB=Set Top Box=Your Cable Box

This term originated in the days when the cable box set on top of your TV.

Radio Shack sells a good two way amp but I got mine from my cable company (Cox) for $35 installed and tested. That way if any troubles develope you don't pay a service call charge if the amp causes any troubles although if you are careful to purchase one made for cable TV usage it should work just fine.

xvxvxvx

ZuniGypsy
Unregistered guest
the tv i want to connect to does not have a cable box. it would hooked directly to tv with coax cable. is there such thing as a amplifier for internet connection? thanks again!

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
You most likely won't need an amp, just the splitter with no cable box.

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
I have a cable internet and television connection. There was initially a splitter between the wall and my modem and TV 1. I have now additionally split the line between the first splitter and TV1 and added a line to a TV2 in the next room. In doing so I find I lose one channel on TV1 and many on TV2 - this is due to the loss of signal strength, correct? If so, would purchasing an amp (or a stronger second splitter - mine is only 5-900 GHz) aid in getting full reception in both? Thx

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Try buying a 3 way splitter before you invest in an amp. Replace the two 2 way splitters with one 3 way.

xvxvxvx

KD DC
Unregistered guest
I tried a 3-way splitter and it has the same effect (everything's fine for the internet and TV1, but I only get a third of the channels - in different order - on TV2). Is there another approach I could try?

KD DC
Unregistered guest
Is the amp the answer, then?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Yes, but the symptoms you describe sound more like either poor connectors on your cables or crimps in the RF cables. Mighty unusual to only lose certain channels otherwise.

xvxvxvx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us