HDTV: Built-In or Set-Top Box???

Username: Chee2828

Post Number: 1
I'm a newbie and I'm looking to buy an HDTV... Question is, should I buy an HDTV with a built-in tuner or an "HDTV ready" and purchase additional HDTV tuners? Does one have better quality over the other? Please help!

Thanks,
Chee

Anonymous

Key question is whether you have hi def cable available or plan to have hi def satellite

For 90% of people an integrated tuner w/b redundant, a waste of the typically extra 400 to 500 dollars the manufacturer is charging. This is because their cable system - e.g Comcast is going to have hi def boxes available

Quality is approx the same for both

Now sometimes you can almost get an HD tuner for free like the Sanyo 30" widescreen HDTV (with integrated tuner) that Walmart sells for around $650.00

Sometimes integrated tuners come with cable cards, however these card tend to create far more problems than they solve, and you end up often missing 1/2 the features typical hi def cable boxes offer, along with potential use of hard drive HI DEF recorders such as the excellent Motorola model offered by Comcast

Bronze Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 57
One other consideration: if you live within a reasonable distance of television stations, with the appropriate indoor or outdoor antenna, an ATSC tuner will receive free broadcasts, including those in HD. Otherwise, I tend to agree with Anonymous.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 173
I also agree that the built-in tuner is redundant. If you use cable or satellite, you'll be going through a box anyway and their is really no need to pay extra for a built in tuner that you'll never use. Plus, there is an included input for off air signals that can be plugged into your box. At least the satellite boxes do. With my TV, it was $1500 more for the built in tuner....:laugh:

If you live out in 'the sticks', you had better hope that your elligible for the East/West coast local channels provided until the new local channelHD satellites get launched later this year if you're a Sat customer. Luckily I have access to all my locals HD programming. Doing without would really stink.

Username: Chee2828

Post Number: 2
Thanks alot guys!

I live in the NJ (very close to NYC) and I have Comcast as my cable provider. And yes, it does seem redundant to have a built-in tuner, when I'll be utilizing the cable set-top box for my HD cable & over the air channels. So thanks again!

OK, one more question... if you had a $3000 budget, which brand/model of an HDTV would you lean toward? Sharp? Sony? Pioneer?

Thanks!

Anonymous

rock bottom practical best buy in the below 3000 dollar level for REAR projections using the safety in numbers theory w/b a Sony 50" LCD, just avoid the ripoff warranty and use the standard free warranty, and set aside some money for a replacement bulb in the future

however those with semi-dedicated theater rooms and for example hard core NFL and sports fans and hi def movie viewers, if you also have a partially light controlled room and can protect it from small children and have a solid shelf approx 9 to 18 feet from a large wall, and want a mega impact super sized picture - the choice is very easy, its the new generation model Panasonic PT-AE700U LCD hi def(720p) FRONT PROJECTOR, currently the world's best selling front projector at 2200 dollars and about 200 dollars for a 92 inch (16:9) (or thereabouts) standard professional screen

They classify this as a "budget" projector, however its only in terms of price, as the AE700u has very advanced features, including the 2.0 lens (unlike any other in its class) and will produce a picture equal to CRT FRONT PROJECTORS from merely 3 yrs ago costing 20 to 30k

note ideal HD viewing distance is actually 1.0 to 1.3 times screen diagonal distance for any high quality HD signal, as the old non-HD ratios are now obsolete

in any case, even with a 50 inch sony for example sitting about 5 to 7 feet away, you will get a knockout picture with a Comcast hi def tuner/dvr

see projectorcentral.com

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 194
That sounds close enough.....

I use the twice the screen width theory, but in reality, I sit a little further away for decorating reasons. With my 65", my eyes are just under 12 feet from the screen.

Unregistered guest
I'm happily surprised with the "over the air", free, ATSC DTV broadcasts I get in my apartment in Pasadena, CA. I had poor reception of only a few analog channels, but with digital, I get more channels than I expected and, with digital, I get a very good picture, or none. (I got the Sharp LC-26D7U which also serves as my computer monitor).

Anonymous

I am looking at the Panasonic TH50PX50U, it carries ATSC, QAM, & NTSC, but doesn't really say if it does or does not have a HDTV Tuner, although it is CableCard ready, I don't know what all that means. Do I need a separate box even with the CableCard or not? Please help.

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 192
Keep in mind there are plans for making a newer version of the CableCARD DCR's. If you buy one now, cause you just can't wait, you might be buying something you're going to regret later. If you want to be attached to a STB then don't worry about that factor. To be honest, as much as the technology with the CC is new, it's got a lot of promise, better PQ then with a STB...just need to get a two-version out there so you can pretty much eliminate the need for a STB and use the TV the way it was designed to be used.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us