Please help with a few new DLP guy ?'s

Username: Westie7

Post Number: 1
I will be buying a DLP in about 2-3 weeks and just had a few questions. Sorry for the new guy questions. I've searched and looked at past posts and gathered most of the information I need. Thanks

1. Toshiba HM84/HMX84. Whats the difference. I compared them and it seems just the remote and extra HDMI connection.

2. Toshiba 52HM84/HLP4674W. Aside from tuner/cable card is there any reason why I would get the smaller sammy over the larger Toshiba. I've seen the Toshiba next to the previous gen Samsung and I prefered the Toshiba. Cost is a factor and why I would just not get the HLP5674.

3. With DLP being so thin, where do you DLP guys put your center channel?

Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 6
1. Toshiba HM84/HMX84. Whats the difference. I compared them and it seems just the remote and extra HDMI connection.

That and the black bezel instead of gray.

2. Toshiba 52HM84/HLP4674W. Aside from tuner/cable card is there any reason why I would get the smaller sammy over the larger Toshiba. I've seen the Toshiba next to the previous gen Samsung and I prefered the Toshiba. Cost is a factor and why I would just not get the HLP5674.

Sorry, I don't know anything about the Sammy but maybe if you needed DVI input or planned on connecting a PC you might.

3. With DLP being so thin, where do you DLP guys put your center channel?

Some people use a stand with a shelf for the channel under the display. Some people mount shelves over the display.

Anonymous

JD,
Your making a mistake! I just received my HLP5674W on 2/18. It's far superior to the Tosh! The cable card is junk. Get the Sammy with the Direct TV SIR-TS360. The future holds Voom for myself. SD TV is history after one week of the Sammy on my deck.
I bought from One Call, but I wouldn't do it today! I think you should check out Digital 1234. I would have purchased from them, but One Call gave me the 5yr warranty with the bulb change covered for $400. But, the price dropped $300 at Digital1234 since. I'm still scared of them (digita1234) because you can't talk to them. All the ratings I see are good though. So go figure!
Good luck!
Norman
jnthames@mchsi.com

Jim777
Unregistered guest
JD

I have had the Toshiba 52HM94 for 2 months and frankly don't think the HD quality can get much better. Some of the broadcasts seem virtually 3 dimensional and some sporting events look as though you have a window right onto the arena. SD is actually very good also once you ensure a strong signal (I use a Motorolla signal booster) and calibrate the TV properly. (Used Sound and Vision Home Theatre Tune Up DVD bought at BB and then trial an error to my own taste which took time). I have the Cablecard slot and after some intitial problems (the installer put it in backwards) it works fine now and provides a better PQ when compared to a box as I had both for a time. My center channel speaker is right below the T.V. on the top shelf of the matching stand which is quite attractive. (Speakers are Polkaudio RM 6800 series). You can compare it other sets at BB. But also be aware that the store sets are on the factory settings which are not correct and also many times have poor quality signal input hence its hard to make a true comparison.

Klaus
Unregistered guest
JP:

Check out the Samsung HLP 5674 set. It is HD2+, with a shelf at the top for your center channel. Tons of inputs, and setup options. I have the 46 inch and it is wonderful.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us