Question regarding new 1080p sammys coming in Feb '05 and June '05

Username: Visual_insanity

Post Number: 1
I was planning on buying the HLP5085 then read horror stories about audio sync problems and delays when playing video games. I love movies but I'm a big gamer and want to obviously avoid these problems.

Will new sets like the HLR5688W and HLR6768W solve these problems?

http://www.audioholics.com/ces/CESdisplays/SamsungHLR5688W1080pDLP.php

Curious1
Unregistered guest
Folks using component cables and activating "progressive scan" don't have the sync issues with gaming. I haven't seen a thread about sync issues in the 74 and 85 series. A few folks complained about the 63 series. The best thing to do is to take your game player to the store and try it.

Post Number: 2
I'm surprised people haven't really talked about the new 1080p sets. Is anyone else looking to purchase one?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
I'm surprised people haven't really talked about the new 1080p sets. Is anyone else looking to purchase one?

Nope! At least not the first generation, I learned my lesson on both first Gen LCD and DLP. At least 18 months after the original release for me from now on.

My exception to the rule will be purchasing a Blu-Ray HD recorder/player when they are released. Now that I cant wait to get my hands on. :-)

xvxvxvx

Anonymous

Any idea what'll be the release date for the HLR5087W. So far alot of online merchants don't list the set at all even though it should be available sometime this month.

Anonymous

Any idea what'll be the release date for the HLR5087W. So far alot of online merchants don't list the set at all even though it should be available sometime this month.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
It has been delayed till at least April 2005, in Samsung-Speak this likely means October 2005.

Here is a link to a pic till then:

http://www.pbase.com/jsjames/image/38440295/original

xvxvxvx

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 518
Don't forget that the initial 1080p DLP sets using the Xhd3 chip will not be true 1080p. It is a 960x1080 chip that uses "wobblation" to create a 1920x1080 image. Basically 2 modified HD3 chips are used to creat the xhd3 chip.
The "REAL" 1080p chips are still in the works, and will prbably be know as HD4. TI hasn't announced a name for it, but they have comfirmed they exist, and they are a true 1920x1080.

Anonymous

This is good information to know, guess I'll hold off for later in the year when a true 1080p HD is released.

Post Number: 3
Mr. Lynch where did you hear about this wobblation effect?

rio de rio
Unregistered guest
I don't think a person would need to hold off buying a 1080p set because of its newness. If the processor driving it is radically different, then I could maybe see waiting. 1080p is a resolution, a higher resolution is an improvement in quality, not necessarily a bad or radical change in the hardware. However, I wouldn't rush out and buy the first one I see without doing some research. Like one of the posters above, I'm also excited about blu-ray. I can't wait to see it in person.

For those wanting 1080p right now, it can be achieved on newer computers with newer video cards. I have an older system, but I still watch all of my movies on my pc and I'm getting better better picture quality than I'm seeing on the hdtv's in electronics stores.

FYI
Unregistered guest
I agree with rio,

Nothing is being broadcasted in the 1080P format and won't be for quite some time. People who purchase a native 1080P display will be scaling a 720P or 1080I HD signal up. Some broadcasters have already invested in these two formats, which are considered "the standard" right now. I would wait for the price to drop and the native 1080P programming to hit the scene before I would ever consider buying one. Besides, 720P is stunning and better than anything we have ever seen. Folks can get one for under 2k these days.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch where did you hear about this wobblation effect?

Allow me to answer if you will. It is not exactly an "effect" it is the term used by TI to describe the technology in their latest chip. They "wobulate" (vibrate) the mirrors to simulate 1080p.

xvxvxvx

FYI
Unregistered guest
I don't want one of those! I don't think it's a good idea to vibrate tiny mirrors on tiny hinges.
I'll wait for the newer one they are developing that will deliver a true 1080P from a stationary DMD chip. By then they will be implimenting the 3 chip color prism module (no color wheel) in RPTV's. Now, I want one of those!

Post Number: 4
So FYI, are you saying that because 720p and 1080i are the standards in broadcasts that a 1080p HDTV that would have to scale up wouldn't look as good as a 720p HDTV that wouldn't have to do any scaling?

Please forgive my ignorance if this is a stupid question. It's just that I'm new to this HD stuff and I'm trying to get some information before I invest in a HDTV.

FYI
Unregistered guest
TCC,

Well... in theory that's correct. Of course, not ever having seen a 1080P display using the xHD3 chip with a 5000:1 contrast ratio it's hard to be sure. The 720P format is so good that scaling it up might not matter all that much. I lean more toward the economic factor. Anything new costs the most, has been tested the least, and those with deep pockets don't care anyway. So, let them test'em out. I'll wait for the reviews and the price to drop significantly before I get too interested. My eyes are fooled quite well at 720P on a 50 inch screen from 10 feet. Water scenes are so wet, I keep a mop handy! Discovery HD is like a window on reality! For 2k you just can't beat that for a first timer to this stuff. There's just enough programming to justify a reasonable expenditure, but not enough to lay out the big bucks as far as I'm concerned.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us