RCA Scenium 50" DLP
Explorer 8200 HDTV/PVR Cable Box
Samsung DVD
Denon DVR1905 Receiver

My current setup is as follows:

Cable Box to TV direct using Monster Component Cables
DVD direct to TV using Monster Component Cables

Questions?
Is there any benefit to using DVI cable from Cable box to TV for video? I asked this to my local Home theater store, they said use Component. I do not run it through my receiver because the cable box is right under the TV, the audio/DVD is about 6 feet away, does not make much sense to run cable all the way over...

Should I connect my DVD video to my Denon AVR1905 for upconversion? Does it improve image Q?

I personally think the image from HDTV is mind blowing, but DVD image is not as good (for obvious reasons). I see "lines" when an image is bright red.

M.A.
Unregistered guest
From what I have seen, you will see very little improvement using DVI over component. Some people like the component better because they say it looks smoother. Besides that DVI cables are expensive. However, I have heard that with some TVs it can make a noticable improvement, so I would buy a DVI from a place that will take it back (like Best Buy) and hook it up. That way if you don't see an improvement, you can get your money back. If you had a DVD player with DVI or HDMI output, it may make a difference, but with cable tv, I highly doubt it.

Username: Dommerdog

Post Number: 8
What about DVD, should I use the Denon to upconvert the signal? Does it make a picture difference?

Bronze Member
Username: Lampright

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 63
I have a DLP as well and HD via comcast. I connected my HD DVR through both DVI and component at the same time and I could definitly see an improvment with DVI. Biggest difference is that component was chopping off the top of the picture, DVI was not. There was also a quality difference I could see in favor of DVI.

Technically, especially with DLP, DVI is superior because it's 100% digital from start to finish. DLP is a digital technology, so a digital signal is by far the best method to deliver the content in. Otherwise your receiver is converting your digital HD signal to analog, sending it to your TV, and then your TV is converting that analog signal back to digital before it gets displayed. Anytime you do a conversion you loose quality.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us