Samsung DLP and black bars on DVDs

Username: Pooger

Post Number: 1
Hi, I know similar questions have been asked before in the middle of other threads, but I am still not completely sure what the answer is to this subject.

I own a Samsung 4674 DLP television and I am trying to use a ~5 year old Sony DVD player. Once in a while in "wide" mode, the black bars around the wide screen look correct. However, most of the DVDs that I play, the black bars look too wide so I use the "zoom" setting to see these movies.

My question is, is this a problem caused by an old DVD player at all? I've noticed most of the responses so far have been that it's because the DVDs are at a higher ratio 2.35:1 than 16:9.

Now my real question is: if it's due to the ratio, is it just something that I will have to deal with forever because that's just the way DVDs are created or can I do something about it? (like buy a new DVD player)

Am I going to have to switch back and forth between wide and zoom1 for the rest of my tv's life?

Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 491
a 16:9 TV is equal to about 1.78:1. Some movies like you said, are 2.35:1, so you will still get a good size black bar. The DVD player has nothing to do with it.
One thing you can do is look for is anamorphic DVDs. They will fill the entire screen, but not all movies are offered that format.

Other than that, there is not much that can be done other than what you do now with the zoom1 feature.

FYI
Unregistered guest
The DVD player has a menu. Have you accessed the Sony DVD player's menu and set the output to 16:9 yet? Same goes for a cable or sat box. You have to tell those devices to output 16:9 format. The 2:35.1 "widescreen" format will always have small black bars top and bottom. The 1:35.1 "fullscreen" format will always have slightly larger black bars on the sides. The 1:85.1 format, also known as "anomorphic widescreen" is the sweet 16:9 that fills the screen. I don't like zoomed, panoramic, or stretched 4:3 images. My sat box menu is set to display 16:9 when available and "pillar box" black bars on sides when the signal is the old 4:3 format. You get used to it after a while.

Klaus
Unregistered guest
I agree with FYI that 4:3 stretch modes all basically suck. When watching my 4674 in 4:3 mode it is basically like watching a 36" TV. All the other modes also blow up already low quality pictures adding to poor PQ. About the only time that I use the TV zoom function is for SD broadcasts of widesceen material such as ENTERPRISE. My 4674 recognises the 480p from the DVD player and reformats to the proper aspect.

Username: Pooger

Post Number: 4
FYI, Thanks for your tip. That was exactly my problem. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us