Only one HDMI input... what should I plug into it???

Bronze Member
Username: Chrisinyork

Post Number: 28
Hi everyone,

I just bought the Sony KDF-50WE655 RP LCD TV. It only has one HDMI input. So my question is... should I use it for my high-def cable box or my DVD player and WHY?

I'm going to buy a new progressive-scan DVD player either way, so if I should use the HDMI input for the DVD player, would you recommend an "upconverting" DVD player or not and WHY?

If I use the component input for the DVD player, I don't think any DVD players support upconverting via component, right?

Thanks.

Chris

FYI
Unregistered guest
Get some good component cables for your HD cable box and your DVD player. HDMI is over-rated. Most people have problems with standard def signal from cable boxes using HDMI. Some report strange artifacts too. If you must use an HDMI cable, because you already own it, put it where you want and experiment, but know that you don't need to.
Your tv probably has better scaling capability than an upconverting DVD. Don't bother getting one that upconverts. Progressive scan will be fine. By the way, component cables will carry all analog signals, progressive, upconverted, whatever. Just make sure the DVD player has an optical audio out for your surround sound system. If you don't have one, get one. It's worth it.

Klaus
Unregistered guest
Chris:
Use it for the cable box. Utilize component for your DVD player. Wait 6 months to a year to buy one of the new HD DVD players in whatever standard wins out. Or if you need a progressive scan player, get a good but inexpensive one for now. I think that once they are out, hd dvds will be the best source for HD content available. The networks, cable , satellite (with possible exception of VOOM) are really dragging their feet on content for HD, (besides who cares if most of the broadcast crap is even broadcast at all, much less in HD). HD DVD content will be directly driven by the consumer as are all dvd sales.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us