Advice needed for HDTV purchase

Mal
Unregistered guest
Hi all,

I've been lurking around for a few weeks and I feel ready to buy a new HDTV.

I've narrowed my choices down to the 46" Samsung HLP4663, 44" Toshiba 44NHM84 or 52" LG RU52SZ61D. I've also tried looking for the RCA Scenium and Mitsu 525 sets but can't find them locally.

I was ready to go buy the Toshiba today but am still uncertain about PC connectivity. At the store, I made a tentative deal with a salesman to get the LG set for the same price as the Toshiba (roughly $3100 CAD including stand, delivery and 5 yr warranty). Needless to say, I was very tempted but decided to do some more research on them.

I would use the TV for SD programming at the moment (until I get a HD tuner), watching DVDs, and PC surfing/gaming.

Is the LG a good deal, or should I go for the more humble 44" Toshiba? Or something else? Please help, thanks!

DLP for Me!
Unregistered guest
This one has the best quality picture and the price is the best I've ever seen. It's $1997.76 including a three year extention of the manufacturers warranty. It's a total of four years of coverage including lamps. (That's fantastic) I'm not sure what shipping will be, but at that price, who cares! Digital 1234 is reputable. Good reviews!

[link removed]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mal
Unregistered guest
I've been reading up on the HLP4663 and I'm quite shocked at the amount of hardware defects reported on the boards. Also, doesn't it have the inferior HD3 chip? If anything, it's at the bottom of my list.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 479
The 44" Toshiba is made by LG, so I guess your top 2 choices are both made by the same company. Have you considered the 52" JVC Dila?

Anonymous

Again, the debate rages on. My DLP's been awesome. Maybe the problem lies with the operator? oh, well.

Bustnchops
Unregistered guest
Need advise? Get a hobby! Preferably outdoors!

Mal
Unregistered guest
Mr Lynch, I can't readily find the JVC dila locally. Does anyone have experience with the LG set?

and Bustnchops, go spam elsewhere thanks.

Bustnchops
Unregistered guest
You have dismissed the best two display technology brands out of hand for someone's experience with LG. That makes you a complete f&cking idiot! Let your local salesman make you feel more comfortable about your trash purchase and quit wasting our time.

Mal
Unregistered guest
Buddy, whats your malfunction? I'm *asking* for user opinion on the LG models because I can't find any. I haven't "dismissed" anything, except bumping down Samsung because of the prevalent user reports of hardware failure on this very board. I simply can't find a JVC DILA, Mitsu 525 or RCA Scenium locally to view with my own eyes. If my questions offend you and you have nothing to contribute, piss off. I think *you* should find a new hobby besides randomly attacking strangers on the internet.

Bustnchops
Unregistered guest
Read, read, read then, about JVC D-ILA and Samsung DLP. If you had done your homework with this forum you wouldn't be asking about trash brands and your journey would be closer to an end. Don't settle for less than the very best display technology for the thousands you're spending to set up a killer home theater. Negative posts represent a very small fraction of the entire market and are not an indication of what may be your experience. All brands have a problem set in certain runs and models. That doesn't mean you bump them to the bottom of the list or call one inferior to another. You just might piss someone off that happens to own and swear by that model. Oh...and it won't hurt you to thank someone for taking the time to recommend their ideas and opinions to you either. I tend to insult when I've been insulted!

Mal
Unregistered guest
Since when is Toshiba a "trash" brand? LG's reputation as an electronics manufacturer is very good. I deal with them directly in my workplace as they make high end Apple Cinedisplay LCDs and I've observed excellent product quality from them.

If you want credibility, don't come into my thread telling me I need a new hobby or namecalling. You have provided no supporting evidence that Samsung DLPs are worth the money, you have provided no links to any source that would. What about the contradicting evidence? Can you explain the frequency of posts about the 3 lights of death and power-on failures for the Sammy? There seems (to me) a disproportionate amount of these posts in comparison to other brands. Though forumdwellers here represent a small minority of Samsung owners, a random sample of user feedback would indicate some quality issues with Samsung units that are likely to arise if I *were* to purchase one.

Also, if you're taking my preference of other brands as a personal insult, you might want to relax a little. You're nobody to me worth insulting, and I'm just a guy asking for some good advice. I understand everyone's opinion is biased but I don't need to hear you defend or justify your purchase decision.

So far, no one has provided me with any factual reasons why one model is better than another. The LG unit is attractive to me for its size and price, but I know I'm getting an inferior HD2 chip. In contrast, the Toshiba 44NHM84 is smaller but has a seemingly better HD2+ chip. At the store, I didn't notice any vast PQ differences.

Bustnchops
Unregistered guest
Nobody wants to re-invent the wheel here fella. There are excellent links on so many posts with so much evidence that you could discover if you would look past the whiners. But, you have become a whiner and offender yourself.

Read, read, read!

You will find out that LCD is a "throw away" technology.
You will find out that LCOS/D-ILA is a major improvement on LCD technology.
You will find out that DLP and the DMD chip is a 30+ year technology.
You will see that the 63 series of Samsung has three production issues that are addressed under warranty and resolved.
You will see that the 74 series doesn't seem to have any production issues.
You will read about the fan noise and power supply hum in RCA's.
You will find all the Mitsu CableCard whiners crying about their glitches.
You will find out that cable sucks and sat rules, especially when it comes to SD signal. And on...and on...and on...
You didn't invent these questions of yours.
You're just the FNG here asking them again.

Read, read, read!

"You're nobody to me worth insulting, and I'm just a guy" ("providing") "some good advice."

Mal
Unregistered guest
1) I'm not buying a set that may or may not require servicing out of the box. Also, the 74 series is not available to me.

2) I seriously don't think I'm keeping any tv for more than 10 years.

3) You're a hypocrite and an idiot. Learn to read, I asked if anyone had comments on LG sets and also expressed a need for PC connectivity for surfing/gaming. Neither of these oncerns have been addressed so far.

You haven't provided any new information that I don't already know, nor have your provided any "good advice". I've been reading this board for about two weeks now and I've yet to come across the info I need. So instead of flaming the "FNG", why don't you actually try to help or stfu.

Bustnchops
Unregistered guest
Alright...try this on!

Look down the list of threads. Do you see any LG threads? No! You don't! So, two weeks ago you could have started an LG thread. In a few days of no participation by anyone, you would have had your answer. Instead you name some brands of interest to you, then proceed to bash one when somebody comments on it, based on your very limited research of a few bad posts. You must be a NYer. You have a northeastern mentality at any rate. You are a self-proclaimed member of the "throw away" society. If ten years is all you're looking for, LCD must be for you! If you would get over your offending attitude, you would see that I have been helping you. I don't get paid for this, you know.

Bustnchops
Unregistered guest
Oh...if you're gaming and surfing you may not like the slow refresh rate of LCD, even if you do want to pitch it within 10 years. You may have problems out of the box with anything you go with. These are all new inventions and we are the test ground. Get the extended warranty!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 480
I've seen the LG set at Fry's in Seattle. I was very impressed with the PQ and all the features it offers at a great price. I definitely trust LG more than I do Samsung. I also feel the Toshiba 44NHM84 is probably one of the best DLP sets I've seen. It is tough to find, but I don't think any other DLP set out there can touch it. I guess I would go with the set that fits your area best. For the 52" you should be at least 10ft away for optimum viewing distance. If you sit any closer, go with the 44".
LCD/DLP/LCoS all have there +/-, but no matter what set you set it will look damn good when you get it home.

Anonymous

10 YRS? LOL

DLP ZEALOTS need to get off their high horse

1080p will replace it all within a few years for the videophiles, and HOME IMAX after that

Mal
Unregistered guest
Bustnchops, I didn't bash anything. I merely stated that I'm *shocked* to see a high frequency of hardware failure reports from Samsung. I generally trust Samsung products, having owned two 900NF CRTs and also recommending them as good workstation LCDs for my office. I personally don't feel comfortable buyign a Sammy DLP right now. I don't know how you go from that to flipping out on me about bashing Samsung. Chill bro.

I do agree with you about HDTV LCD's slow refresh rate /response time for gaming and I only discount CRTs because of size.

My intentions are to buy a tv that will last me at least five years (5 yr extended waranty) by which time I'll be able to afford/desire a new set. Whether or not 1080i becomes standard is of no consequence to me, I've been watching my parent's crappy old Zenith 19" from the late 70s for the past 20 years lol

I think I'll go watch the LG 52" a bit longer today, to see if the HD chipset really sucks compared to the Toshiba. Thanks for everyone's help.

Bustnchops
Unregistered guest
What planet are you from?
You need to go back!

Bustnchops
Unregistered guest
Not you...Mal! I was talk'n to Anon!

Bustnchops
Unregistered guest
Ok Mal....I see your point. I just don't get why you posted my set in the first place.

I'm with Mr. Lynch then. The Toshi 44" has the HD2+ chip with 2500:1 contrast ratio. It's a very good choice if it has the PC connection you need. I don't know beans about LG, but it's probably the same stuff inside. Good luck!

Anonymous

Hi There

1- I am a "newbie" in all electronic things, writing here is free and if you dont want to read from a newbie, go to the next post. Moreover, I am a french canadian: my english quite sucks so i am sorry if my post is stupid and written in bad english.

I am also willing to buy DLP and my choice is restricted to the tosh or the samsung (same models as yours) I've read a bit on both models and there was a lot more good comments on the tosh and a lot more bad comments on the samsung.

I'll probably go with the tosh... with extended warranty cause i also feel i am a "tester" instead of a customer... even if it's 3k$ out of my pocket...

Bustnchops
Unregistered guest
You posted under "Advice needed", you say "my choice is restricted to the tosh or the samsung", but then you say "I'll probably go with the tosh".

You're exactly right...your post is stupid!
Go buy your Tosh.
Hope you avoid the "black vertical lines of death".

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/119924.html

oldtimer
Unregistered guest
LG is owned by samsung,and they have never made
a toshiba product.If they are telling you they
do ,their lying.

get your sh!t straight before you pass off
misinformation.

I worked for toshiba for 16.5 years as a
engineer. I would advise buying a hitachi product anytime ....over all other brands.

they make most of their competitors parts.

lg is over priced samsung korean sh!t.

no quality control and the worst solder joints
on pc boards I have ever seen.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 545
Old timer-

LG is NOT owed by Samsung. They are a seperate enity out of Korea. They own Zenith and have a joint venture with Philip in the US.

The Toshiba 44NHM84 is an LG made DLP that has been rebranded by Toshiba. It was orignally for the Canadian market, but some can be found in the US.

oldtimer
Unregistered guest
WRONG!!!
"SEC" is (samsung/LG/daewoo) this ia a group of
electronic companys and r&d reseach labs labled
as the "indauda group" owned by the korean
presidents 3rd son.

the philips venture is only as you state a
"venture" inwhich information of agreed
technology is shared, there is no ownership.

you have the zenith part is right .

call toshiba they'll tell you the same thing.

Username: Berta

Post Number: 4
Just another datapoint for this thread: Because I am interested in getting the Sammy 5063W, I asked around work and my neighbors if anyone has had experience with Samsungs. Of the 5 people who have Samsungs (63W's or earlier) all have been happy with them. Personally, in the store at least, I preferred the Samsung picture.

chinese poet
Unregistered guest
Do your neighbors work on tv's? no .....o.k.

they only see whats outside

not inside where the junk is.

like sub-standard parts and bad engineering.

if you want problems buy a samsung.

by the way their customer service is

worst then their product.

good luck.

Bustnchops
Unregistered guest
The Samsung DLP picture is unmatched and unsurpassed by anything I've ever seen! True blacks, vivid colors, crisp, sharp, clear and fabulous! I wouldn't trade my 63 for anything.

No wonder the LG looked so good Mal, it's Sammy technology. Imagine that! And you are so freaked out about Samsung, yet you were scoping the LG hard and heavy. How incredibly ironic!

Username: Berta

Post Number: 5
Glad to hear you love your Sammy, Bustnchops. Everyone I have talked to, does as well. No, they don't work on TV's, but they like what they see on the outside and haven't had problems.

Some people on this board are very sensitive.

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
I have to question why a real tv tech would comment negatively on any sub-standard brand. While it would be incredibly honorable of them, it would also take warranty work away from them and bread off the table. There is certainly nothing dishonorable about them, either. After all, they need to eat too and they didn't make the sets!
A grain of salt would be advised!

chinese poet
Unregistered guest
roberta,

really I could care less what you buy,it's
your money.

I think samsung has a great picture when they
function ,but they have a horrible track record
for reliability.

It's just a shame they cut so many corners
in their engineering and charge people the
amount of money they get for their product.

I really see no harm in speaking the truth

It's really not sensitvity,Im just a forward
spoken person .

hope it didn't offend you.

DLP:
thanks for being concerned about my income....
that was very generous of you.

my main staple is not in repair or warranty
work that's only a part time hobby.

my bread and butter comes from engineering
and designing, electrical circuits for major
audio/video manufacturers,for both commercial
and consumer applications .

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
Cool...one of the good guys!
Have a great weekend!

Anonymous

my Samsung HD 27" which I have owned for several years can produce a nice hi def picture, however it didn't take much for one of the component inputs to fall apart by falling into the TV

fortunately i have one good component input still functioning

Samsung's workmanship does appear questionable on this set

on the other hand my Hitachi conventional 50" CRT rear proj has never had one problem of any kind over its 7 yr use period

chinese poet
Unregistered guest
ANONYMOUS,

can I get an amen!!!!!!!!!

I really am not here to try and push opinions,
nor do I want to come across as a know it all.

because believe me ,I know that there are alot of things that I have yet still to learn.

even as a electrical engineer for many years
in this field and a /tech (as a hobby).

I still learn from this post from time to
time mainly about problems I have not heard of.

I have helped many notorious and main stream
companys design and engineer late breaking technology..and I have strayed from associating
myself from others,because I don't believe in cutting corners.

I really hate seeing people believe that because
a great marketing effort and a good sales pitch=
high quaility products.

I know that the average consumer or most
enthusiastic audiophile ,probably don't
look for imperfections the same way a
engineer or experienced tech would...most
people may read some info on a product
maybe do aliitle research ,look at the
picture and ask a bigstore sales rep questions
who has never fixed or designed any equip
their life, and use that to decide their
purchase.

sometimes it's not even a picture issue it
may be how well and secure a jackepack
is placed and installed onto/into a product
or how sloppy the solder joints are inside
the set.

I just give people information based on
what I have seen inside ..where most people
don't even get to look.

I really don't like seeing people get
robbed ..hook..line and sinker.

after all look at a house falling down and
breaking apart....put some vinyl siding on
it and it looks good again.

having said that ,you will never have a componet
input fall off your hitachi ...and there are
other brands equally as well that are great
products.

Anonymous

on my 27" Samsung hi def metioned above, note the broken component input plug appeared only several months after I bought it -well within the one year Samsung guarantee. However, when I called the local authorized Samsung repair shop, the owner told me that various inputs and outputs on SAMSUNG TVs were NOT covered under the warranty. I believe he said Samsung deemed them "cosmetic" or something like that, which of course is hardly true

Its just an extra set now anyways, however I make sure I always leave the remaining component plug in - no matter what I am adding on the other side such as cable boxes or dvd players etc

chinese poet
Unregistered guest
"cosmetic"

what the hell?!?!

cosmetics do not interface another componet
enabeling it to work with the tv..like a dvd player needs the componet jack ,it's not for
looks.

that's the kind of p00p im talking about with
certain companys.

stick with hitachi..jvc..pioneer they are not
fly by companys they are deeply rooted in this business.

Unregistered guest
I'm thinking on buying a big Sony HDTV. Do you know when it may be the best time to purchase it to get the best deal?

Username: Cshq177

Shawnee, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1
I have been in the Retail side of the TV industry for about 11 years-so my opinions are based on what I experience on a daily basis. DLP, LCD,CRT,D-ILA.Plasma-WOW! These are all fine technologies each having their pluses and minuses. At the end of the day YOU are the person who will use/enjoy the television that you purchase,find the technology that is within your budget,have the salesperson show you the television on an SD signal(HD looks great on all TVs),play around with the remote control and explore the menu system(some can be complicated) and make sure that everyone in the home can operate the set. If you live in area which offers HD from your cable company and you would like to eliminate set-top boxes,look for Cable Card technology(Mitsubishi,Sony,and Toshiba offer this in their MMD sets)and ask the store if there are any software upgrades you will need to perform to use the card. With all the choices in brands and technologies it seems daunting-just ask lots of questions in the store,stick with a name brand Tv and you wiil be fine!

Peas
Unregistered guest
"I'm thinking on buying a big Sony HDTV. Do you know when it may be the best time to purchase it to get the best deal?"

Easy question, after the store is closed.

Peas

bustnchops
Unregistered guest
Peas...you're kill'n me! ROTF-LOL
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us