Help~I got the "U99" message~

Bronze Member
Username: R1t1joby

Post Number: 20
On my Panasonic DMR-E85H machine, I was "Dividing" a title and the Dividing message stayed on and on and on for 2 or 3 minutes until I determined something was wrong. I had been using the machine for hours so it was indeed hot. So to get the "Dividing" message off and in order to get the machine to do something, I unplugged it. I waited a few seconds then plugged it back in. It goes through all of the "Please Wait" then "Self Check" process then after about a minute of "Self Check" the machine says "U99".

During the "U99" period, not a single button works except the Power Off button. It won't even switch from HDD to the DVD drive. I can't even get the DVD tray to open.

I cut the machine off & let it cool for about an hour. Now the machine is completely cooled down yet when I cut the machine off, then cut it back on, it still does the entire "Please Wait" then "Self Check" process all over again.

I have even unplugged the machine and waited a few minutes. I've done everything I can think of.

Does anyone have any clue what to do?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Have you tried this procedure?

1. Hold the POWER on the front of the unit to force the unit to turn off
2. Press STOP twice on the front of the unit
3. Press the OPEN/CLOSE once on the front of the unit.
4. When the tray opens, remove the disc, if one was inserted, and do not use that disc again.

xvxvxvx

K2SMN
Unregistered guest
You need to read the document regarding this error - it's on my web site. It discusses why this has happened, and how to prevent it in the future. If you have very important video files on the hard drive. the best thing to do is remove it and install a new 120GB hard drive. Then, upgrade your firmware (read the document). I am working on a possible way to be able to put the old drive back and be able to recover the data, but I haven't finished it yet. I'll let you know - on that web site - when it's done. Good luck.
Here's the url: http://www.dxcc.com/dmr-e85h.htm
Roger.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
I am working on a possible way to be able to put the old drive back and be able to recover the data, but I haven't finished it yet.

Pretty simple really: When you reinsert the old hard drive connect it normally, turn the unit on. It will ask you if you wish to reformat. Before you select YES carefully remove the power cable from your drive. Then click yes, you will get an error, turn unit off, reconnect and reinstall your hard drive then turn unit back on. The data is saved and you are good to go.

Another poster on this forum figured out this procedure so no credit to me.

xvxvxvx

William C.
Unregistered guest
I have a brand new DMR-E85H and it seems to work fine although the unit often displays a "U99" message on the front display even when the unit is off and hasn't been used.
Does anybody know what causes that to display?
The book says it was a power failure but I know that's not the case.
When I push power on the remote the "U99" disappears and the unit goes into standby mode.
When I push power again the unit powers up and goes into the "self check" mode.
What is this all about?
Thanks in advance.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us