Please help me with this DLP purchase

Newto DLP
Unregistered guest
I am almost ready to buy the Samsung hlp4674 for 2690 +385 for a 5 year warranty. Samsung is offering a $200 gift card with this set, provided I purchase new HD service by 2/15/05 (8-days away). The store that is offering me this price does not stock the 74 series, it will take them 30-days to get it to me.

Here is my qustion. The store will loan me a loaner HD set (not nec a samsung) for the cable guy to hook up service to. I will return the TV the next day. Apparently a HD set is required when installing HD service for the first time.

This is all an atempt for me to save $200 (gift card). Is there anything wrong with doing this, will the cable guy have to return when my set arrives. Will the cable tv work with my older non hd set while I have HD service and await the arrival of the 4674 set?

I have this Thursday reserved for the install.

Thanks,
CS

DLP for Me!
Unregistered guest
Is this still Hawthorn? I think it's mighty nice of them to do that for you. Seems like they should let you keep it until your 74 comes in. But to answer your question, no...the cable guy won't have to come back. Yes...it will work with non-HD set in the mean time. Now, that being said, does it have to be "cable" HD service? I hate cable tv myself. Can it be a Sat HD service? I love my Samsung SIR TS360 Direct TV HD/Terrestrial HD receiver because the unit combines all signals. It's really nice! Just thought I would ask.

NewtoDLP
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your response. Yes it is the Hawthorne deal, and I do appreciate their help. I asked if they could help me, and I imagine they will give me a small floor model HD CRT.

The samsung reads: "a copy of the first month's cable bill showing activation of the applicable HD cable video servicee with participantin cable company between 10/17/02 and 2/15/05".

DLP for Me!
Unregistered guest
Darn the luck! Worth the $200 I guess. Hope the analog standard def signal is up to par. If it isn't, make the tech fix it. Ask to see the signal level. He may split the signal and take one side into a set top box and the other into a second input on the tv. This procedure drastically reduces the standard def analog signal quality. Don't settle for grainy or snowy anything. It's not right until it looks right to you. If he trys to slide out, tell him you will escalate to his supervisor. Demand a sufficient analog signal before he leaves. Most people don't.

Unregistered guest
Hello DLP! I'm considering purchasing the HLP5674w from Onecall for @ $3780 with the three year warranty and delivery to LA (lower Alabama). I have Direct TV now. Do I need to have a different antenna system for HDTV reception? I told the fools I was gonna purchase this set soon, but I'm not sure about the sys I have. How do you tell?
Thanks for your help!

Unregistered guest
DLP, Tell me about the SIR TS360. Would it be suitable for for the Sammy with my Direct TV setup? email me, jnthames@mchsi.com

Unregistered guest
DLP, Tell me about the SIR TS360. Would it be suitable for for the Sammy with my Direct TV setup? email me, jnthames@mchsi.com

DLP for Me!
Unregistered guest
jnthames,

I think that's a fair price for the 56 delivered with warranty. Wish I had the 5674, but my 5063 is stunning. The best deal I could find to compare was at this link.

[link removed]

The TS360 is my choice for a Direct TV HD/Terrestrial HD receiver. It combines off-air digital signals gathered by your old fashioned Radio Shack VHF/UHF antenna with the DTV regular and HD programming into one guide. For instance, I have four different ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, etc. channels to choose from by using channel up-down. Meaning I have a SAT ABC, an analog VHF ABC, a digital UHF ABC, and because cable rides in with my Internet service, a Comcast ABC. This comes in handy during a heavy rainstorm as I can take my pick and not miss anything. This receiver is fantastic. It takes the place of the one you have now and requires an eliptical dish made for receiving the 110 HD satelite along with the others. You may have heard that some receivers, like cable boxes, limit your sizing choices. This receiver gives them back to you. Direct TV will activate this receiver as if it were an additional or replacement receiver. It has it's own card. DTV has been offering 6 months free HD programming. Call 1-800-DIRECTV and ask for it. Set up was easy for me, but pro installation may be free right now. Here is one link with more info.

[link removed]

I have the optical audio feeding an Onkyo 602B Dolby Surround Sound receiver pushing my Cerwin Vegas that rock the house. I'm in Home Theater Heaven.

Unregistered guest
Hello. I just bought a Samsung DLP HLP4674W, however I am not too happy with the digital signal I am getting from DirecTV. I get some ghosting and grainyness, however when I connect my upconversion DVD player, the picture is awesome. Not Familiar with DirctTV HD or Comcast HD and was wondering if anybody had any advise. I just don't want to change to comcast, or buy a $350.00 system from DirectTV if it is not going to clean up the signal. I did notice however that with DirecTV you can now pull local channels in HD without the antenna, kind of like what you can do with Comcast. Can anybody confirm? This is my contemplation. Can anybody give me some advise? Thanks All! - Mike - San Jose, Ca.

FYI
Unregistered guest
Which DTV converter do you have?
RCA or Component hook-up?

You don't want to change to Comcast.
I don't think you are receiving true digital local channels on that converter.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us