Samsung HL-P0563 Screen Size Issues

Username: Cypha999

Post Number: 1
Recently bought a Samsung HL-P0563 and I'm very happy with it. I connected my Time warner cable box to the tv using component cables (couldn't get a box with DVI). The HD channels look great, but the non-hd channels a cut off on the sides. When I try to change the screen size on the TV, it only gives me two options, wide(current setting) and 4:3 (i think). I know there are other screen size options, why cant I choose them? Do I have to use a different connection for viewing non-HD channels to avoid the screen size issue? PLEASE HELP

Post Number: 2
After further review, it seems as if the problem is my old Sa-3100 HD box. Time Warner never has the 3250 is stock, so I guess I'm stuck with the grey bars. Customer support at Time Warner is no help. Guess its time to switch to satellite.

FYI
Unregistered guest
That SA-3100 has got to have a menu. There is a way to get the box to pass the signal through for sizing by the set. I saw this post:

Sci-Atlanta HD box from NJ cablevision/IO. Not sure of model off hand, but it's identical in front/top/side appearance to the one it replaced, only has different connectors in back for HD support.

berockin1
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 01:55 pm:

you have the 4200HD , what connection are you using DVI or Component ? You have to run the HD setup Wizard. Try this. With the TV on and the STB off. Simultaneously press "info & guide at the same time. On the STB NOT the remote. use the advanced set up button "B" I think. When it asks you to save resolutions. You have to save 1080i,720p and 480p "STD" only. Exit out to save that. Press settings one I think and select picture size normal. exit out again. Then press settings twice and scroll up until you see picture format, If it doesnt already say AUTO-DVI then change to Auto-DVI and you should be all set.
This feature lets the TV do the 720p conversion and stretches the 4:3 content way better than the STB could ever do... Report back that it worked for you.

Good luck!

Post Number: 3
Hooked up an S-video cable as a secondary input to view non-HD channels. This eliminates the vertical bars, but the picture is HORRIBLE. Any idea why?

FYI
Unregistered guest
It's S-Video! It's analog cable signal. It's most likely an internally split and thus weaker signal as well. Any luck with accessing the cable box menu?

Post Number: 4
No luck with the menu. Tried pressing info&guide at the same time with the box off and the TV on, no luck. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help.

FYI
Unregistered guest
Yea, call Cox Cable and ask for a field technician or technical service supervisor to call you back. If they don't know how to handle this, ditch the worthless cable company and get yourself a Samsung SIR TS360 Direct TV HD/Terrestrial HD receiver. It's fantastic!

The TS360 is my choice for a Direct TV HD/Terrestrial HD receiver. It combines off-air digital signals gathered by your old fashioned Radio Shack VHF/UHF antenna with the DTV regular and HD programming into one guide. For instance, I have four different ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, etc. channels to choose from by using channel up-down. Meaning I have a SAT ABC, an analog VHF ABC, a digital UHF ABC, and because cable rides in with my Internet service, a Comcast ABC. This comes in handy during a heavy rainstorm as I can take my pick and not miss anything. This receiver is fantastic. It takes the place of the one you have now and requires an eliptical dish made for receiving the 110 HD satelite along with the others. You may have heard that some receivers, like cable boxes, limit your sizing choices. This receiver gives them back to you. Direct TV will activate this receiver as if it were an additional or replacement receiver. It has it's own card. DTV has been offering 6 months free HD programming. Call 1-800-DIRECTV and ask for it. Set up was easy for me, but pro installation may be free right now. Here is one link with more info.

[link removed]

I have the optical audio feeding an Onkyo 602B Dolby Surround Sound receiver pushing my Cerwin Vegas that rock the house. I'm in Home Theater Heaven.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us