Panny PT-xxLCxx series Bulb problem petition

Closed: New threads not accepted on this page
  Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through March 31, 2005leerose100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

Unregistered guest
HOORAY!! Finally found people with the same probs. PT-50LC13..1st 4 weeks of owning, power supply, balast, and lamp were replaced. Am now on 4th bulb in less than 2 years. Plugged into UPS for product protection. I agree LC means LOAD of CRAP!! Furious Bandits will Never give in! Panasonic Product support is awful. Located in CA. Wish I had paid for extended war.

Username: Leerose

Post Number: 1
The Latest:

Got a call from Repair Group yesterday. They returned my repaired PT-60LCX63 today. The service report says "Repair Ballast" but the part number is a "Service Kit" not the ballast part number. Well it's working for now. Have 1171 hours on bulb 2 and the set is now under the extended warranty. We'll see what Panasonic has to say when this bulb goes.

Unregistered guest
I own a Panasonic PT-50lc13. Replaced first bulb within first two months of purchase(2/22/04). Had a horrible time getting new one from Panasonic, and had a nasty time with Ultimate Electronics service department too(Fast Trak). Anyhow, its time for a new bulb(4/1/05). Not happy at all and would love to be involved with any kind of suit to compensate for our problems. Get a hold of me please chris_d_werner@yahoo.com.

Unregistered guest
Bought a 50lc13 in December of 2003. Bulb went yesterday (4/2/05). I also hear an intermittent buzzing in the lower left of the set. My question is how do I know if the ballast is bad as well? Anyone else hear the buzzing? I signed the petition and would love to be informed of any developments. gyoskin@mbcnet.com

Unregistered guest
Called Panasonice today (4/4/05) to plead my case (stated above). They basically blew me off as I am out of warranty. Bought a bulb for $289 here: http://www.projectorlampcenter.com
Figured I'd try a bulb first and hope the ballast is still functional. Now I'm just worried that this one won't last long either. Why would it?

Post Number: 3
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=283780#POST283780

Chris;

At least on the PT-60LCX63 if the ballast is bad, the green power light will come on for a while then it will go out and the red "Lamp" led will flash once or twice every 5 sec.

Unregistered guest
Hi I have PT-50LC13 and the set will work for about 30 sec and then it will shut down. Tipical... I saw couple of post like mine here. Did anybody find what has gone wrong in my case? Is it the ballast and/or the bulb?
Please respond to ted_ge@yahoo.com
Regards, Ted

Silver Member
Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 172
how many bulbs went bad with
aux fans. Ive been running a fan
since day 1. so far 12 months.
I live in los angeles mike.

Unregistered guest
Installed the new bulb yesterday. It worked, so the ballast wasn't shot. Whew! Looked brighter and more vibrant than ever. I did notice a slight difference in the new bulb, though. The face of the new bulb has a blue coating on it. The old one only had the coating in part of the cone of the bulb. Maybe this slowly burns off. Maybe they've improved the bulb. I dunno.

Post Number: 4
Re: Class Action Suit

I spoke to lawyer friend of mine today and she told me that class action suits are not inexpensive to get involved in. She did say that lawyers who do them look very carefully at how "defined" the class is. When I explained the bulb issue and how it would effect those people who bought a range of LCD Projection TV's she seemed to think that it was a well defined class.

For those of you who would like to persue this further, please email to pannybulb@leerose.com so that we can start to get a list together

Lee Rose

Username: P123hil

15 Mo on ballest bulb still lights 5 sec red flash is ballest.

Anonymous

Is there any way to modify or fix this ballast/bulb problem? My first bulb lasted 8 months and looks like it is out again after 3 months! The repair place is coming to get it in 2 days. What can I do? If you know of anyway to fix or extend the bulb life email me at bill.a.asendorf@intel.com.

Username: Microdot

PANASONIC pt50lc13 14 months 1st bulb.lucky i bought circuit city 2 year extended warranty.definately recommend to new buyers of lcd tvs to get the extended warranty.also signed the petition.but in the manual there is a disclaimer about the bulb lasting 11000 hrs.the manual also recommends keeping one on hand to prevent downtime,kind of funny they would say that. good idea though,should have supplied an extra in the first place.circuit city was very good about sending me a new one.

Bronze Member
Username: Cyco

Post Number: 18
I know lamps don't last forever, but they also don't cost $300 to replace. If they are going to state 10,000 hrs then god damnit the bulb should last at least half to two thirds that time. Yes each bulb is different and some may not last as long, but ALL BULBS in the 13 series.... there is something wrong and it's not because I turn my tv on once per day. I'm getting sick of holding my breath everytime I turn this tv on!!!

Saying "you should have another bulb on hand" well when you buy something you sure hope it last at least ONE YEAR!!! So, another words you need about a bulb a year and if your a lucky one maybe once every two years.

The disclaimer reads, blah blah then may shorten lamp life.. well 1000 hrs from 10,000 is pretty F*cking short!!

We have over 200 signitures, I'm sending this portion into Panasonic and stating that we are on the verge of a lawsuit. I have also had an attorney contact me (who's tv also just blew a bulb) and he said his company is willing to go ahead with the suit. I still need to contact him back to discuss some issues. There is another attorney from California that is also looking at the case at this time. Nothing is in stone as of yet. What I'd like to see is what do you people expect if this would happen?

I'm thinking a total upgrade to the 14 series (by this I mean either a new tv or the "guts" of the 14 series circuitry, ballast, etc), also money back from anyone who had repairs after warranty.

Anyway this is what I thought we'd shoot for...

Post Number: 5
[B] "We have over 200 signitures, I'm sending this portion into Panasonic and stating that we are on the verge of a lawsuit. I have also had an attorney contact me (who's tv also just blew a bulb) and he said his company is willing to go ahead with the suit. I still need to contact him back to discuss some issues. There is another attorney from California that is also looking at the case at this time. Nothing is in stone as of yet. What I'd like to see is what do you people expect if this would happen?"[/B]

Mike: I'm with you. I'm using the email pannybulb@leerose.com to collect email address' to start a mailing list for people who would like to be involved. Would have sent you a message but you didn't list an email and your username on this BBS doesn't accept private messages.

Unregistered guest
Hey Mike,
I'm not sure I would simply ask for an upgrade to the 14 series. Have they been out there long enough to determine whether or not the 14's have the same problem?

Anonymous

You may be able to fix the problem cheap as I just did.

I bought PT-45LC12 in 2002; the first lamp blew after about 16 months. Two weeks ago, the power light blink green but nothing turned on. I thought maybe the 2nd lamp need to be replaced again after 12 months. So I ordered a new lamp but it still does not work. Called a local Panasonic authorized repair shop and they said it maybe the ballast power supply went bad, and they won't repair mine as they only do warranty repair.

Figuring I don't want to spend $1000+ to fix this still relative new LCD TV. I ordered the service manual and wanted to give it a try myself, but the manual is high demand and it's on back order.

I went ahead opened the back cover and surprisingly noticed it's pretty dirty inside after 2.5 years of usage, and there is a thermal fuse to protect the ballast power supply. Spend 99 cents replaced the thermal fuse and the TV came back alive. I am surprised that it's such simple to fix the problem vs many others frustration.

LCD TV is more fragile than the traditional TV as it uses expensive HID lamp. So the cooling system inside is very critical to prolong the lifetime of the lamp and the special power supply. Dirt collect inside is probably the major cause to degrade the cooling system. Make sure you clean them (two fans and a lens) whenever you have a chance.

John
semitech2k@yahoo.com

Anonymous

You may be able to fix the problem cheap as I just did.

I bought PT-45LC12 in 2002; the first lamp blew after about 16 months. Two weeks ago, the power light blink green but nothing turned on. I thought maybe the 2nd lamp need to be replaced again after 12 months. So I ordered a new lamp but it still does not work. Called a local Panasonic authorized repair shop and they said it maybe the ballast power supply went bad, and they won't repair mine as they only do warranty repair.

Figuring I don't want to spend $1000+ to fix this still relative new LCD TV. I ordered the service manual and wanted to give it a try myself, but the manual is high demand and it's on back order.

I went ahead opened the back cover and surprisingly noticed it's pretty dirty inside after 2.5 years of usage, and there is a thermal fuse to protect the ballast power supply. Spend 99 cents replaced the thermal fuse and the TV came back alive. I am surprised that it's such simple to fix the problem vs many others frustration.

LCD TV is more fragile than the traditional TV as it uses expensive HID lamp. So the cooling system inside is very critical to prolong the lifetime of the lamp and the special power supply. Dirt collect inside is probably the major cause to degrade the cooling system. Make sure you clean them (two fans and a lens) whenever you have a chance.

John
semitech2k@yahoo.com

Username: Crackedthecase

Black Eagle, Montana U. S. A.

Examination of the insides beyond bulb replacement chamber on a warranteed set MAY void the warrantee unless it is done by the Service Repair Panasonic, or the Store where you bought an extended Service Plan, hires.

If you are not sure either don't go opening up any part of the case until your set is out of warrantee, or the Extended Service Plans time; or the Panasonic company or the Store where you bought the television set will not be responsible for it after you have.

I am only going to clean where I can see until the Warrantee and Extended Service Plan run out, myself.

From what I have reviewed, at this site, I should have done my homework before I bought the Television. I see, from all of the people on this forum, this has been a problem as long as the PT-50LC13 as been on the market. I would have changed my mind if I had seen this site first.

I am at the stage where I should have known better, then to fall in love, with this set while at Best Buy. A four year service plan was the best buy choice. They pressed the issue until I bought the extended four year service plan.
That should have been a hint.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
" but the manual is high demand and it's on back order."

LOL go figure.....

jacek
Unregistered guest
I just blew a bulb in PT-45LC12 with 24 mos but only 1600 hrs. Sure i am upset about that $300 I didn't budget for before the end of 5000 hrs advertised but I noticed that the LC13 owners got the short end of the stick, especially when lured by the 8000 hrs figure.

Now, the question: The LC12 series makes you clean the filter every 400 hrs by very direct prompts until you clean one (believe me it works: "did you clean the filter, it is very imprtant").
Does the LC13 have a system in place for remaining to clean the filter?

Dz
Unregistered guest
PT-50LC13/Dec 30 2003, bulb blew Feb 05 (14 months) 6 weeks later, new bulb installed, Ballast bad. 4 weeks later Ballast installed, Power board is bad. (Repair guy left 2 hours ago.) No idea when this will be fixed.

Post Number: 6
I used the PT-50LC13 for an average of eight hours a day from May 13, 2004 to Nov. 18, 2004. That's about 240 hours a month for 7 months. The first bulb lasted 1680 hours. With the replacement came the winter months from Nov. 21, 2004 to April 14, 2005 I had Component 1 viewing some computer game time on the system that added another 2-6 hrs of use per night. I figured it to come to about 2200 hrs.

Are there filters in this box that need to be cleaned or changed?

No mention, in the Manual I got with the set, tells me to clean anywhere. Of course, neither did my computer, but I found out that cleaning it provides better performance and longer computer life.

Does this Panasonic PT-50LC13 have some sort of cleanable filters in it?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Letter sent giving Panny a chance to respond to us before legal action takes place:

To whom it may concern,

I for what ever reason I have been put in charge of what is closely becoming a lawsuit against your company about the TY-LA1000 lamp issue. We the people, owners of Panasonic Televisions most commonly the PT-xxLC13 series, but not limited to, feel there is a problem with the ballast, cooling system, circuitry and or other internal components causing our TY-LA1000 lamps to burn out. There is a design flaw in the 13 series that appears to have been fixed in the 14 series that is causing our lamp issues.

We are not happy about paying an extra $300 dollars for an over priced light bulb on a yearly basis to keep our TV's operational. We are fed up with the extra cost involved in keeping these television sets running (Ballast / lamps). We are asking you to work with us in resolving the problem or face expensive legal matters.

Below are links of what so far has been going on. Mind you this is only a few months old and once council has been hired so we can obtain sales receipts of who owns the set and get in contact with them, mailing every owner a civil lawsuit letter, I'm sure the list would grow tremendously.

Petition started by Michael Krajewski and Darren Trutzenbach:
http://www.petitiononline.com/panbulb/petition.html

This link is to one of many forums about the PT-xxLC13 series sets:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/121989.html

We are currently in contact with two separate law firms seeking a civil action suit against Panasonic. I know from talking with many Panasonic owners that your customer care is far from superior in fact border line pathetic. I also know that customers have had to wait 6 weeks + for lamps of this type, even under warranty work, which also proves that there are issues.

Please respond to me via a letter as this is your first and final notice that we are giving you. Please advise us if you plan on coming to some sort of agreement.

Mike Krajewski
(address)

Owner of a PT-50LC13 series LCD purchased Oct 2003. Had a bad pixel on the screen (warranty work) then had the lamp blow at 14 months? (1500 hours!!!!! not even close the recommended 10,000 hours)

We'll see what they say. Most likely "hit the road you dirtbags"........

jacek
Unregistered guest
Strong work, thanks for all your work.
I also signed your petition since you worded the petition: "Panny PT-xxLCxx series Bulb problem petition" and "TY-LA1000 or similar". But my lamp is TY-LA1500 and it goes to PT-45LC12. Slight difference but I don't think the owners of LC12 or LC14 should be excluded from your action. Yet your letter wording centers on lamp TY-LA1000 only. Why the change?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
I didn't mean not to include the ty1500. the 14 series seems to have less problems, but none the less your right. When this goes to a legal action, we'll make sure to include both lamps.

Dean-TV
Unregistered guest
Funny finding this place. PT-50LC13 purchased in september of 2003. The TV was fine until Feb. of this year when the ballast and lamp fiasco started.
It took about a month for the ballast to be repaired .A new lamp was installed along with the ballast.

Just died again a few days ago.

Post Number: 7
Funny?!
Seems that I failed to notice that the thread was for length of bulb life. Hmm? Funny?! I thought it was kind of odd, that is, Finding it after I bought the machine. Seems more like someone should be suggesting a good repair shop. Someone who cares about the machines problems, instead of someone who wants to play on Court TV with Panasonic's Lawyers.

jacek
Unregistered guest
Dave,
I don't understand you problem. As an owner of the PT-50LC13 with the lamp/balast defect, you should be concerned about the issue and lobby Panny to fix it. Unless you are happy replacing the bulb and/or ballast every couple of months instead of advertised "maximum bulb life of 10000 hrs".
Good luck!

Post Number: 9
WOW! Now the PT-60LCX63?! What a deal?

I am not a technician, and yet, I can see all the problems these sets are going to have and it is not looking like they are going to get better.

I guess I should use the television set like a regular family: That would be about ten hours of televsion a week. You know, watching the family hour on week days, or the favorite Soaps opera, then a movie with the whole family on the weekend.

The television might last a couple of months longer.

These bulbs don't like to get cold suddenly.

So, I better get it a blanket and cover it before I open a window letting in the frigid air.

These ballasts sweat and mainboards get hot and expand, so, while running long shows or playing computer games for hours, I better open a vent in back to let off the heat that is making the mainboard and ballast sweat too much before it causes another breakdown.

I recommend everyone who loves the idea of these sets gets the Extended Service Plan when they buy their next one.

Get a back up bulb so the delays in time while waiting for the new ones aren't driving you crazy.

Anyone thought of cleaning out the vents and the fans blades once a week or so. I vacuumed out the insides of the Bulb case before putting in the new bulb and the picture was incredibly brighter for a about ten days. Dust! Yes! I said, DUST!

Tried all that? Then, send me your fact sheet and I will sign your petition. No fact sheet, no sign.

evadehtelohssa
Unregistered guest
Dave who cares if you sign or not, stop being an a$$hole and get a life.

darren170
Unregistered guest
Mike,

I like the letter let us know what happens. Very precise and to the point. Did you get legal advise on writing it, just sounds good.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I am just as upset as anyone. I am sorry for your problem evadehtelhssa, but it is a little late for me to start getting a life. Someone saw to that when I was a child of eighteen. So I have to use my brain and I have used it to analyze all of what I have read. Never take a life needlessly.

My analysis is as I see it from my own experience with electronics, and, by what I have read on the Internet forums and here.

A lawyer would cut the petition all to ribbons, especially a good corporate lawyer with just a few questions as simple as mine.

Do you have a good lawyer Mike?

evadehtelohssa
Unregistered guest
Dave,

I very much doubt that any lawyer could argue a case in favor of Panasonic. Firstly records from Panasonic containing all information regarding every PT-XXXXXX TV warranty issue would be subpoenaed and they would clearly show that there is an issue with them, there is only a small percentage of the same defects that is basically allowable before either a recall or legal action can be taken if slightly pushed.

Why would Panasonic include a piece of paper on the back of every PT-XXXXXX TV stating the fact that if your lamp fails within the first year call us for a replacement!!! Clearly they knew about the issues even before it was on the market. Not a prayer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Are you ready to organize and build a better Television Set? While ours are on the refurbishing shelves?

I am trying to connect with a person that is going to give me a solid solution. I am having trouble finding an educated form to provide the insanity of mans effort to achieve the 21st Centuries goals when the children are mentally returning to their grandparents wishful years. The good old days.

WE ARE THE SOLUTION. We either make a better one or we suffer the consequences of letting someone else build what we deem, "inferior quality products".

Again,
Are you ready to organize and build a better Television Set?

Each of us has within us the mental, monetary, and physical wealth and strength to make life better.

Organize and make it so, or sit back and enjoy the show. Your Choice.

Ask yourself, "Am I really sticking my neck out here people?"

Money? If all the people on the petition can afford a minimum of say, $5000.00 each we can begin, i.e., if there are a thousand people or more on the petition, and are willing to put the effort on it we can start. Your children will thank us, because we did it for them.

So, evadehtelohssa, mike, and everyone else who is interested; where shall we start our own forum, (or would your prefer going back to the old board room meeting place in some dusty old building) and begin to plan and get the set up for a television device that will put us in the competition with all the others?

I will give you my real email address if you give me yours.

If I am being an a$$hole then today I will step down off my soap box and stay out of the picture for good. Is that good enough for you evadehtelohssa?

evadehtelohssa
Unregistered guest
Dave, If you spent less time analyzing everything and more time doing something you will eventually find out life is interesting!!!

Goodbye, Dave...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
"A lawyer would cut the petition all to ribbons, especially a good corporate lawyer with just a few questions as simple as mine.

Do you have a good lawyer Mike?"

Well Dave, judging by your attitude and your writings, your research stinks, and so does your attitude. To answer your one question, YES I do have a good civil attorney in fact I'm signing a retainer this week. So, if and when this lawsuit is filed and you receive the letter in the mail make sure you dont' include yourself in the suit... OK Mr. "soap box".
To answer another stupid statement by you, "are we willing to stick our necks out?" What the F$%k do you think I'm doing. You come on this board and blab some crap off the top of your head with no research to back it up... get lost and deal with your POS LCD yourself then.

We are all on the board to help, organize a solution, not cause one. Darren and quite a few others (thank you for all the email support btw) have time stuck into this as well as I, dont' come in here and say we are wasting our time... you don't know that until you try and that's what most people like you don't do, TRY or fight back. Just because its a big corporation don't mean SH*T. In fact it is all the more reason to fight back. I'm the type of person that will spend a $1000 to make a $10 point.

Now that I have that off my chest and hopefully the last of... hrm... what's his name... Dork err DAVE.

To give every one an update, as I stated earlier, A retainer is being signed this week, and they are looking into the lamp issue more closely and will let me know more. I don't want to say much on a public forum as of yet. I know some of us have wrote the prez of panny, legal dept, etc, I suggust keep writing those letters and reference the petition. Definetely state the lamp issues, ballast, and LC13 series seems to be the biggest problem with some others peppered in there.
OH and .... DAVE is it, this particular company won lawsuits against Toshiba, Pioneer, and Affiliates have won against Panasonic.

OUT

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
OH forgot, another stupid and unresearched statement by our buddy DAVE. "If all the people on the petition can afford a minimum of say, $5000.00 each we can begin, i.e., if there are a thousand people or more on the petition, and are willing to put the effort on it we can start. Your children will thank us, because we did it for them."

In a Civil Lawsuit, the cost does not come from the people, the attorneys pay for everything and work out an "agreement" with the company they are suing and it's usually waaaaaaay more then what the people end up getting, agian it's the point and satisfaction that we arent' going to spend $300+/year min on a new product.

And what's with this grandchildren/children thing.... don't get it... man someone must not have given you a childhood.

OK, now I'm OUT

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
I guess I shouldn't post in anger, I forget to mention everything.......

If I had the technology to build a TV, I would, but you know what..DAVE, I'D STAND BEHIND MY PRODUCT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Username: Bronze

Congratulations Mike. You spill over like a sink with water thats been sitting too long in the basin. A vile nature to the best of man.

The lawyers you don't have to pay are paid with the USA TAX Payers money.

Big diff!

You just take it out of everyone's pocket instead of the people who actually own a similar machine.

Curse me all you want baby!

And using words spelled backwards to hide a persons feelings is just like a child.
Hope you can stand the pressure better in court.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
LOL, your funny. Spill over... hahaha I'm still busting a gut... Keep up the great comedy!

I'm just on a learning curve here. So, if I seem stupid to you that's because you are the one that is suppose to be so smart.
Hove a G.O.L.O.L when you're up against real educated people.
I wouldn't want to go to your school. You would be too busy humiliating anyone who showed curiosity.

evadehtelohssa
Unregistered guest
Dave, there is a difference between seeming stupid and being stupid, you being the later. I am a graduate of Stanford U. I do not humiliate I just point out the obvious and let judgment do the rest. US Tax payers do not pay for the attorneys time, we pay for the Courts time which in turn is compensated by the loosing party.
I wondered how long it would take you to figure out my usename.
Now really goodbye dave.

Ahh. Isn't that interesting, "Mr. Krajewski and dr. evadehtelohssa." So, it is true, college ruins good minds. Is this a split personality I am dealing with?
Latter not later little one.
And I would rather be the latter with the evidence I have seen. It assures me that I will never stop asking questions even when it seems I think I have all the answers.
Where as in your case evadehtelohssa you just never seem to have enough brain cells to answer without adding foolish, and as Mr. krajewski does without adding angry, responses.
Maybe you should see one of those healers who heals the soul. If you believe in that kind of stuff that is. Happy Daze you big seitarmts.

Goodbye?
This is a forum for people seeking conversations on the equipment and sharing ideas on how to buy the better stuff.
You're the ones who should be somewhere else.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
It doesn't matter what we say Dave, you can criticize us all you want. We are not happy with Panasonic, not your, in fact I really don't care who you are and what you think. There seems to be A LOT of us here that agree with what we are trying to do. And of course there will always be oppositon. Thats what makes America great. I appoligize to everyone for stuping to Daves level of intelligents.

The funny thing is Dave that you haven't asked any real questions, and any that you do ask you answer them yourself.
Q:"I thought this was a forum to share ideas on how to buy better stuff" A: Gee, us saying the Panny lamp is a POS, doesn't give others a clue not to buy the tv set?.
I could go on but I'm done wasting my time with you. Again, if you don't like what is going on here, then post your criticism on another board, it's just like a radio... change the station.

I Quote " This is a forum for people seeking conversations on the equipment and sharing ideas" Yes Dave this is for SHARING IDEAS and I don't think the type of things your saying are helping. Although that's what your intentions are, instead of helping and possibly looking at reasons why panasonic would "rip our petition to shreads" and "we don't have a case" you'll take the easy way out and shoot your mouth off on people who give a sh*t. Be littling others is very easy to do, but being supportive and giving complements take a good human being. My soul is healed is yours?

Lastly, why do you give a crap what we are doing here? What does us fighting panny have anything to do with you? You already stated you want nothing to do with it, so don't worry about how we are handling the situation. You coming on here, hiding behind your keyboard, isn't going to affect what our intentions are.

But, since your completely oblivious to what's going on around you, "sigh", I've just wasted another 5 minutes of my life responding to you.

Instead of turning this into a F#ck Dave fest, does anyone have anything more important then dave to post. The petition has now reached over 300!!!
I continue to receive emails of unhappy panny owners, and the lamp sega continues.......

TV Psychic
Unregistered guest
"In a Civil Lawsuit, the cost does not come from the people, the attorneys pay for everything and work out an "agreement" with the company they are suing and it's usually waaaaaaay more then what the people end up getting, agian it's the point and satisfaction that we arent' going to spend $300+/year min on a new product."

The absolute funniest thing I have ever read on an internet bulletin board? I take that back there is one thing funnier, this quote " I am a graduate of Stanford U." I doubt you have ever even driven by a college campus much less attended or graduated from one.

TV Psychic

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
TV Psychic, have you talked with a civil attorney?

Let me think. Hmm. No. You have not done anything other then poke fun at me. My apologies for not using correct punctuation. So, why don't you stop wasting your time attacking my ignorant usuage of the English language.

I am sure if everyone on your list were able to afford a $4000.00 TV they could probably afford the practice of becoming a group owner business just as easily.
No, Pyramid scheme, just, a large scale business with the usual stuff. Board members, stock options, and President, Vice-President, and etc. And build a nice home based U.S.A. business that could compete, Really Great, with the company who you want to play court tv with.
And yes, I agree, Don't waste anymore of your breath on me child. Save your energy for the dr. evadehtelohssa Stanford U. cheering section.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Dude, if you would put down your bong and get your hands out of the Cheeto bag long enough to let your brain clear up, you would realize you make no sense whats so ever. Damn wasted another breath... RA RA RA

"You have not done anything other then poke fun at me" <---- ya think?!

TV Psychic
Unregistered guest
"TV Psychic, have you talked with a civil attorney?"

There is no such animal Mike. There are corporate attorneys, patent attorneys, personal attorneys, criminal attorneys, there are all sorts of attorneys but no such thing as a "civil attorney".

Here is the main problem with your statement about a civil lawsuit. First of all you must be able to prove some sort of harm or loss. Next you must be able to prove that you were actually promised whether by a written or implied warranty that which you either did not receive or under which you relied and were harmed. Suppose you are able to do the above. Then you would be able to recover actual and perhaps punitive damages and even recovering the attorneys fees is possible.

Now for the kicker: For $300 (or less) in damages and a couple of hundred complaints no attorney which might reasonably be able to win your case will spend the thousands of man hours required to bring this suit to trial without payment up front.

You will not get class action status without a Federal Judge ruling the suit qualifies.

Now that Panasonics reputation has already been harmed by all the message board posters and this petition they are less likely to settle out of court. In fact they become more likely to countersue and then you become personally at risk for many thousands of dollars all because your TV didn't last as long as it should have.

Better to take your licking and live to fight another day or else end up in jail like the Mexican chick from Las Vegas who tried to screw Wendy's.

TV Psychic

TV Pyschi said a Civil Attorney doesn't exist. Humm?
Does Bong and Cheeto's have a row in the front f the store or can I find them in the frozen food section?
Maybe you should try becoming a Blues Singer,
dr. evadehtelohssa?

Post Number: 7
If that's a fact then Thanks 'TV Psychic', for Clearing up the confusion and giving M K a reasonable conclusion for his entreprise. I will just have to go back to searching for another bulb in the likelihood my four year extended service warrantee has flaws.
Either way? It is back to the drawing board. And searching for answers, and for lower prices for the replacement bulbs for some.
I GOOGLED TY-LA1000 a few minutes ago and found a bulb listed for $119.. I clicked on it and it mysteriously took my machine to a site on ebay. Bid started at $50.00 and only two bids at present.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Your right to an extent TV Psych. You have to prove certain things, but how are we to know this if a professional doesn't look into it for us. If it is proveable, then they can supeona repairs, warrenty issues and much less everyone who bought a tv.

A civil suit occurs when a lot of people have the same problem with a specif item and the above mentioned can be proved. You forget to mention fraud, it doesn't neccessarily have to harm you. Now I've talked personally with 2 different attorneys (call them what you will) and they both said the same thing, so for me to take your word over theres? I sent an email out to one linking this board and the petition and his firm was very interested in it and looking more closely at it to see if there's grounds for a case, the other contacted me because he also as a LC13 that took a dump, and he himself knows there's a problem and also mentioned that his firm is looking into the problem. So, all I wanted to do was test the grounds, see if it's feasible, I'm not a sue happy person, in fact I hat lawyers, and get pissed at the retard that sue Walmart cuz there daughter heard a swear word on a cd that was bought from there store. If a stupid case like that can make it to the courts, then I'm sure a thousand people with the same problem may have a chance. The chances of a lawsuit are slim to none, we all know that, so what's the big deal, don't hurt to ask OR we can all sit here on forums like this and grip about how our tv's are junk, I guess for some that makes them feel better. But when there's hundreds/thousands of people that have damn near the same problem you don't think there's something wrong? As far as bad publicity for panny, have you looked around these boards, it's all bad, don't matter what tv you have. People only come here to grip about a piece of junk they bought and how the repair guy screwed them over.....

Ya I seen that one on there too dave, In fact I myself bought my lamp off ebay. Bet you that lamp goes for over 200.

oh btw TV Psych what does it say on the top of the page here? "Selecting a Civil Attorney" Hrm...... http://www.madd.org/victims/0,1056,1639,00.html

Like I say, I don't give a crap what happens, I was pissed just like everyone else who had their lamp/ballast or whatever blow. It was nice to see it's not an isolated problem. I feel bad there they people that are on there 3rd/4th lamp in a years time... maybe they should be the ones speaking up......

Post Number: 8
Thanks for the Madd Page. Mr K.. That's what I call doing your homework!

TV Psychic
Unregistered guest
Mike,

I was taught that these were Municipal (Contract or Tort Law) Attorneys. If the custom has changed to now call them civil law attorneys I apologize to you for my mistake in the nomenclature.

This however does not change the fact that you and others have no case. Ask your attorney about fraud for instance. To prove fraud is very difficult, in your case you must be able to prove to a jury beyond a "reasonable" doubt that Panasonic knew in fact before sale to the public that the bulbs would burn out prematurely and then sold them with that knowledge. The problem herein is that they offered you a limited warranty period during which they willingly replace any malfunctioning bulbs. I have seen nowhere that Panasonic offers a guarantee that thier bulb will last a specific period of time. Even the 10,000 hour average lifetime according to industry standards of measurement only means that 50% of the bulbs will last between 5000 and 10,000 hours.

Again good luck,

TV Psychic

Well, now. That was refreshing. I think I will go and find some parts for my other Fix Or Repair Daily equipment. Hope you get some satisfaction Mr. K. Other then flaming me that is. Flamers site:
<http://redwing.hutman.net/%7emreed/index.htm>
Pleasure meeting you TV Psychic.

cihcyspvt,evadehtselohssa
Unregistered guest
TV Psychic, you are a pleb. Go away unless you want to contribute something worth reading. Your statements are totally false and you have no idea what you are talking about, you want to sound intelligent but each time you open your mouth you end up looking like even more of an idiot. Get a life do not bother these fine people in this thread anymore. Good day to you sir.

Post Number: 10
Unregistered guest's. Why hide? Or is that the idea? You appear to be too young at all to play in the field of Dreams. But the Administrator knows who you are. Unless you are the Adminstrator just playing the game out, that is. Now? "cihcyspvt, evadehtselohssa".
I see you have upgraded your brain cell in how to spell backwards for two. Do I hear girls giggling's? Which means you are still a baby playing in the field of the adults. I think I had a dream about a baby in diapers crawling around the dinning room. Looking for scraps.

In the real world, 'you get the goods first and then you go out and petition the neighborhood'. Looks like you're doing everything backwards.

Or do you think you have all the things you need already?
Like before, I asked, "show me your fact sheet". Not your idea sheet.
Now I want the name and phone number to your Legal council, Mr. K. So I can talk to the person myself after I do a complete background check.

Growing up is partly what I am doing here. So, educate me. Or get a new registered account with who you really are; M K would probably appreciate it, if you did. Of course, that is, if it isn't M K that is playing here?

TV Psychic
Unregistered guest
"Your statements are totally false and you have no idea what you are talking about, "

Feel free to specify exactly which statements you believe are erroneous and then also post the correct information. Oh, what's that? You are unable to do so? No surprise, but thanks for playing, come again.

TV Psychic

Unregistered guest
TV Psychic,

"you want to sound intelligent but each time you open your mouth you end up looking like even more of an idiot."

"Feel free to specify exactly which statements you believe are erroneous and then also post the correct information. Oh, what's that? You are unable to do so? No surprise, but thanks for playing, come again."

CASE CLOSED You lost, go away.

Unregistered guest
Dave,

Enough is enough, you are clueless as well as brainless, go away.

Bronze Member

I am not proud of the fact that unregistered people can attack with as many clones as a person likes. I am sure though that I wont be hearing from Panasonic any time in the future. No recall will occure from this lame attmept at the poor bulb life, because of this group of unregistered and registered guests.
Bless your pea pickin hearts. Just keep in mind; get the goods, solid facts and then petition; from now on, or you will be going to bed with four thousand dollar headaches for lack of investigating before and doing a research correctly afterward again and again.
Saying good bye is going to be such a pain. I mean, it was just beginning to look like a good group. To Bad.

Unregistered guest
The lamp in my PT-50LC13 lasted about 8 months or 2800 hours based on usage not nearly the suggested 10,000 hours.

evadehtselohssa
Unregistered guest
Dave,

Goodbye, no i really mean it. Panasonic has already agreed to replace my Television. It was a good group before you decided to post your worthless and utterely rediculous comments. Now go away and stop bothering these nice people.

evadehtselohssa
Unregistered guest
Dave,

Goodbye, no i really mean it. Panasonic has already agreed to replace my Television. It was a good group before you decided to post your worthless and utterely rediculous comments. Now go away and stop bothering these nice people.

TV Psychic
Unregistered guest
"Goodbye, no i really mean it. Panasonic has already agreed to replace my Television. It was a good group before you decided to post your worthless and utterely rediculous comments. Now go away and stop bothering these nice people."

You lie poorly and spell even worse. Panasonic has not agreed to replace your display. You are a twenty-something with no clue as to how life really works. You have a great deal to learn and certainly will die a bitter, meiserable, senile old man. No education or understanding of the real world will not do you well in the future.

I think we have met, you asked me, "Would you like fries with your burger Sir?"

TV Psychic

evadehtselohssa
Unregistered guest
TV Psychic,

You still here. You are totally and utterly wrong, not much of a psychic are you now. Your comments are really boring just like your personality. I make more money in a month than you probably make in a year. I am a lot older than twenty and my life is great. I have lived in several countries around the world and have learnt and experienced more things than your tiny unimaginative brain could ever comprehend.

We have met, you were almost right, what i actually asked you was "Would you like to fry for buggery? Then let me talk to the judge"

looser.

dpete
Unregistered guest
PT50LC13
Purchased 01/19/04
from Circuit City
Approx 3,600 hrs

Ballast going out, green light flashes then turns to red flashing light. Very disappointed, no more Panasonic purchases for me...EVER!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Some good news everyone. I received a letter back from Panasonic's Customer Affairs Division. They are aware of the problem. What they are doing about is extending any lamp problems (lc13 series) to 18 months from invoice! The new tv's now have a 1 year lamp warranty. Here is there letter:

"Thank you for your undated (oops) letter postmarked April 23, 2005. We at Panasonic appreciate your having contacted us. We are committed to assuring that our cutomers experience extreme satisfaction with the Panapsonic products that they purchase.

Having said that, we are aware that a number of people who purchased Panasonic projections TVs are not currently happy because of their experience with the lamps used in those TVs and we lok forward to satisfying you and other valued customers.

To put the prolem into some context, while projection TV lamps are expensive, they are light bulbs. Light bulbs blow out from time to time and need to be replaced. You should also know that based upon the best information that we have, the vast majority of people who have purchased Panasonic projection TVs have not experienced the kinds of premature burnout you and others have seen.

We recognize that this broader perspective does not help you and does not make you a satisfied Panasonic customer, but maybe it will help us find a common ground to a solution.

Based on the best information we have at the present time, we believe that if the lamp in one of our projection TVs does not fail within the first 12months of use, the TV owner is not likely to experience the kind of continuing problems about which you have expressed conscern. If the lamp fail within that period, it is possible that the cause is a defective lamp, but it is also possible that the cause may bea defective ballast or other component.

So here's what we are doing to address the problem. If you purchased a Panasonic LC13 series TV and experienced the burnout of a lamp anytime within 18 months of purchase, call us at (800)211-PANA. We will be happy to provide you with a replacement lamp and, if you have experienced repeated lamp failures, or otherwise suspect theat there may be a defect in your TV causing the lamp failures, we will arrange for an in-home inspection and , if necessary, repair of your TV. If you have already purchased replacement lamps for your TV and provide us with proof of purchase of the replacement lamps, we will refund the purchase cost of the lamp or lamps to you.

Just so you know, we are extending the limited waranty on lamps sold with the newer models to 18 months from the date of purchase and all replacement lamps will carry a one year, rathere then a 90 day, warranty.

We are truly sorry that you experienced dissatisfaction with your Panasonic projection TV and appreciate the oppertunity to turn you into a loyal Panasonic customer.

Very truly yours,
(signed)
Michael Marino Jr.
Manager, Consumer Affairs Division"

Sorry for any typos, I just typed away. We'll I guess that is better then nothing and it looks like most of us have had problems well within the first 18 months. I hope this has helped everyone! Good luck with your TVs as I'm calling to get my $300 bucks back!!

Michael

PS. One a side note, DAVE and PSYCHIC TV make sure you do not call this number, you two @ss clowns and go F@ck yourselves for being the @ss holes that you are. Since you two have decided to sit back and not do a damn thing to help use, you can sit and watch your black screen on your tv because it doesn't work and you chose not to do anything about it but harrass the good people on this board. GO F@CK YOURSELVES AND IF YOU CAN'T, BECAUSE OF YOUR SHORT D!CKS, I'LL BE MORE THEN HAPPY TO DO IT TO YOU!!!! You typical unappreciative MOFO's.

Goodbye everyone and goodnight. See you on the next one!

TV Psychic
Unregistered guest
Do you think I care if your bulbs burn out? Or if they are replaced? You must be kidding. What a joker you are. As I said you had no legal standing and simply got some "goodwill" from Panasonic. Personally I hope someday you experience a "real" crisis in your life. Your psychiatric fees will go through the roof. LMAO

TV Psychic

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
That's the best come back you could come up with. Geesh I expected better....

evadehtselohssa
Unregistered guest
TV Psychic just shut the f&@k up and go away already. You are an idiot. You have no concept of the real world. If you did not care you would not be reading or posting your lame messages in this forum. Do us all a favor and pi$$ off before you end up hurting your already damaged fragile tiny little brain. Moron.

evadehtselohssa
Unregistered guest
TV Psychic just shut the f&@k up and go away already. You are an idiot. You have no concept of the real world. If you did not care you would not be reading or posting your lame messages in this forum. Do us all a favor and pi$$ off before you end up hurting your already damaged fragile tiny little brain. Moron.

TV Psychic
Unregistered guest
Double posting there Mike? Or do I call you evadehtselohssa? Either way you are a sad little child. Remember to close your fly after you play with yourself and always wash your hands before eating.

TV Psychic

evadehtselohssa
Unregistered guest
Somebody please wake me up when TV Psychic has something even the slightest bit intersting to say.

FYI dufus my name is David and not Mike so before you go accusing someone of hiding behind a fake identity get your facts right. At least I am able to play with myself you dickless freak. If you was not so obsessed with fast food and trying to do the old five knuckle shuffle you might have a lot of spare time in which you should get caught up on your social skills.

evadehtselohssa
Unregistered guest
Somebody please wake me up when TV Psychic has something even the slightest bit intersting to say.

FYI dufus my name is David and not Mike so before you go accusing someone of hiding behind a fake identity get your facts right. At least I am able to play with myself you dickless freak. If you was not so obsessed with fast food and trying to do the old five knuckle shuffle you might have a lot of spare time in which you should get caught up on your social skills.

Ashvin
Unregistered guest
The Attorney General(s) of all states in USA,

Where are you these days? This is really a nothing but sophisticated scam to bilk the money out of consumers by forcing them to buy 2 bulbs/year for life time at average cost of $600/Year.

They need to take legal actions for false information published by Panasonic that bulb lasts for 10,000 hours. On average it probbaly last 1/10 of that time.

MY TV is 17 months old and have just lost 2nd bulb. Wish I can trade in this crap for anything other than Panasonic LCD TV. We still have an old Sony TV (19") that is running without any problems for 25 years.

Username: Weasel18

PT50LC13 14 months bulb blows

Unregistered guest
I am on my third bulb in seventeen months. PT-40LC12, bulb # TY-LA1500.

pk1310
Unregistered guest
pt50lc13-2 bulbs in 14 months. Last bulb went out 3 weeks ago. Talked to Panasonic today. They are sending out tech tomorrow at their expense, and a new bulb is being shipped second day fedex. Warranty is now 18 months instead of 12, and the new bulb is covered for one year instead of 90 days! Unbelievable, but it looks like Panny is starting to take notice of this problem. Thanks all! PS Ultimate Electronics sucks!

NoMorePanny
Unregistered guest
MK,

Thanks for all your work. Dave and TV Psychic, do you try to make yourself feel smart by disagreeing and putting down others who are obviously trying to help the situation? Even if you are right and they do not have a legal leg to stand on, what does it matter to you if they want to start the process? Even if it is "goodwill' that you deemed their above response, it sure will help many people who are in the first 18 months of owning this P.O.S! What have you accomplished for people here? Just annoyance and a waste of bandwidth.

As for me, mine just went out yesterday and in trying to find out why my TV has no light and the power button just keeps flashing green, but the lamp light does not blink red as the manual says it should if the lamp is bad. Upon reading these forums, I have discovered it could be the Ballast or the lamp. I appreciate those who have helped and MK, I wish you luck in your quest to justify an apparent evil that is Panasonic Customer Support!

Me and My Wife
Unregistered guest
Mike,

There has to be a way to find a knockoff lightbulb. Not the entire plastic monstrosity, just the lamp itself. Is there ANY information out there regarding the lightbulb itself? Maybe we can find a replacement for it.

jacek
Unregistered guest
You and your wife,
forget that, not a viable option. Reaserched that extensively. The only alternative I found was someone on ebay rebuilding projection lamps for $300. Not a good deal.

Geoff Yoskin
Unregistered guest
Just got off the phone with Panasonic. They basically told me to fax a copy of my receipts for the TV and the replacement bulb for review and reimbursement. Ken from Panasonic said there should be no problem getting reimbursed as the receipts for my TV and bulb were within the new 18 month warranty period. If this actually happens, I'm pretty satisfied...assuming this new bulb doesn't blow prematurely...which of course it will.

Username: Franchised1

I got my TV in Oct 04, the first bulb blew last month. Can someone tell me how to get into the service menu. By the way after I replaced the bulb a week later the TV shut off again for no explanation. Which is what happened about 3 months before the bulb blew. When I called Panasonic to vent a little I was basically told that I dont know how to watch the tv. I told that had turn the tv on about 6 times since the bulb was replaced. The customer service there sucks

Ben in pittsburgh
Unregistered guest
Bought PT50LC13 for $2300 in Aug 04.
Bulb blew May 25th 2005 -- 9 months.
Panasonic said sending me one out in 3 days but they took a $300 deposit on my Visa.

turtletovar
Unregistered guest
Same here, lamp blew and I called Panasonic. They put a $300 hold on Visa and will release the hold when I send them the old lamp back.

Bayliner 2252
Unregistered guest
I bought a Panasonic PT-40LC12 in Oct. 2003. It was still functioning well, we thought, more later on this. I was alarmed at the high failure rate others had reported on the TY-LA1500 lamp and while looking for a lamp-only that same week, a 5/8" "green spot" appeared on the screen and would not go away.

I talked with my seller, Costco, and was advised to return the TV to them. I hesitated, but did a week later, and was promptly refunded my original purchase price even though the Panasonic warranty had long since expired!

We looked at the many TV's Costco had in stock and decided that one of Panasonic's Plasma models would work well for us. The new unit was exactly the same price so we just exchanged a poorly designed unit for one that appears to have no problems. The model number of the new unit is TH-42PA25 and in my Internet research of it I could find only one problem reported. From the description of the problem I suspect he had outside interference turning the set on and off etc. and not really a bad TV.

I have not seen any TV with so sharp a picture or with such great color. We watched the TV series "24" all season and since it is set at night or in a war room there is little color or brilliance there. It was very difficult to see everything on the LCD projection unit! With the new Plasma unit everything can be seen easily. It's amazing how much brilliance the old set had lost since new, it was probably ready to blow.

I am very grateful to Costco for treating me so fairly, it was above and beyond anything I could have expected. It is just another of the reasons we shop there a lot and are stockholders in the company.

Jim

Paul McGuire
Unregistered guest
Mike K et al. -

Just wanted to say what a relief to have found this forum thread! We got our PT50LC13 just about 17 months ago and the bulb blew out last Tuesday night (with company coming for the holiday weekend!). I was chagrinned that the bulb warranty was only for 12 months, and was planning on trying to overnight a replacement before the guests arrived. But on Thursday, when I saw your posting that Panasonic had extended the bulb warranty to 18 months, I couldn't dial that 800 number fast enough. I spoke with Everett in Panasonic CS, and he could not have been more helpful. The first thing he did was walk me through the bulb removal process, to see if we could verify that the bulb was in fact the problem. Sure enough, the bulb had blown, and I mean BLOWN! (Fortunately the glass window had kept the glass pieces from scattering into the body of the tv.) Having established that the bulb was the problem, Everett had me fax them the purchase receipt to verify that we were still within the 18 month warranty period. I gave a credit card number for them to hold the bulb charge, and also wrote on the fax cover sheet that I would accept the $20 add-on for overnight shipping. The new bulb arrived Friday morning, along with return paid shipping for the old bulb. And all got resolved before my in-laws arrived!

Thanks so much for your persistence in dealing with Panasonic on this, and in posting your findings!

Sincerely,
Paul McGuire

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Sorry Peeps, I've been away and haven't checked much on here. Sounds like some people are getting some satisfaction.... that's great to hear. I myself got my money back for my lamp last week.

For those of you that miss the 18 month time frame I'd continue to call, write to the legal department, etc, they should still refund you lamp fees or get a tech out to look at your tv, especially if you had the lamp blow more then once in a year!!!! Keep receipts and dates!!

Unregistered guest
But the response to my question to Panasonic Canada about whether they would also be extending the bulb warrantly was:-

Please be advised that Panasonic Canada Inc. does not have any current plans
at this time to extend the bulb warranty on our Rear Projection LCD TVs.

Any Canadian lawyers around? Since Panasonic US have already admitted to problems it should be an easy case....

Post Number: 2
In case anyone cares. I had a tech out today that didnt even look at the TV. My newest problem is that it just shuts off all the time with no warning. He told me that Panasonic had new Ballast Kits that he had ordered for a few other customers with the same problem. He said that Panasonic has issue a referendum as well on this problem. He seemed to know that the warranty was extended for the bulbs too. At this point though I'm so unhappy that I dont even want the TV anymore. I afraid to watch it. I never know what I'm going to get. I want Sound Advice to refund my money. That would be good customer service. Then they can deal with Panasonic

lassen
Unregistered guest
Model PT-40LC12...bulb blew after 18 months...about 2000 hours....never had a this kind of problem with any other PANASONIC prduct...and I will do a lot of research before buying another PANASONIC product.

Willb
Unregistered guest
PT-45LC12
Purchased on 10/08/02
Lamp blew while watching Predator on 06/18/05
Not sure on the hours, but under the 5000 max life of the lamp/bulb.

Is there a way to find out how many hours the TV has run, or just guess based on how often you get the clean the filter OSD message (every 400 hours).

- Will

Unregistered guest
PT50LC13
Purchased 10/2003
1st bulb blew 12/03
2nd bulb blew 11/04
3rd bulb blew 06/06
average 20 hrs of television per week (at best)
thank God for Sears extended warranty

jaga
Unregistered guest
bought pt50lc13 2/04 first bulb went 11/04 second bulb went 6/05 panny sent tech to install second and check tv found nothing wrong said dont turn on and off right away let bulb cool down. second bulb 850 hours total tv hours 1725 something is wrong!!

Blew another bulb on my PT60LCX63
Purchase 3/31/04
1st Bulb 10/27/04
Ballast 3/15/05
2nd bulb 6/23/05

At least Panasonic didn't give me any crap about sending a new bulb out.
Ordered (w/credit card guarentee) 6/23 received 6/27.

At least I had a spare in stock so that I wasn't down at all. Of course that's a $300 spare.

I have filed a complaint against the seller with my local consumer affairs board. Sound Advice/Tweeter has not called me back about a repair. I want my money back at this point, has anyone heard about the new ballast kits?

Unregistered guest
PT-50LC13 purchased 11/03. First bulb failed 11/04. Was sent one replacement and paid only the shipping charge ($20.00). Second one failed 5 months later. Panasonic customer service is awful - refused to assist, refused to allow me to escalate my grievance, provided phone extensions that do not answer then disconnect. I refused to purchase the replacement unit ($400.00) and this piece of junk in now the largest paperweight in my home.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Brian, Ocean's 11, Shane, Jaga call 1-800-211-pana again, mention my name and the letter stating 18month warranty. MAKE then give you refunds for you lamps, if you lamp blows more then once in the first year it's most likely a ballast problem, MAKE them send a techy out and replace the inards of your tv.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Will,
I'm not sure if there is an internal monitor. On the LC13 series we don't get the "clean filter" message. At least I never have. Anyone?

Username: Tperk100

Virginia Beach, VA United States

Own PT-50LC13 since 12/03. As of today set comes on normally and plays for about 3 to 5 minutes and then turns off. The POWER indicator flashes red and does not stop flashing even after a LONG time. The red LAMP indicator flashes every 6 or 7 seconds or so. I removed the lamp and it looks OK. I know the fan is running because I can hear and see it. I am baffled as to why the set would look normal when on , but then shut down with a LAMP warning. I can repeat this over an over.

Count me in on any legal action.

Ocean11
Unregistered guest
Mike, do me a favor and email me your email address to my home. Click the hyperlink for Ocean11 above (6/24) and put Panasonic in the text (my antispam is pretty rigid.) I'd like to discuss some things with ya. Thanks.

brianslatt
Unregistered guest
mike,

i personally would like to thank you for everything you did to help everyone with problems with the lc series. my set went out today after 12 months, and i have yoyu to thank for letting people know that it has been extended for 18 months.

sincerely,
brian

Username: Foobardude

My *3rd* bulb went out over the weekend. First last about 2 months, second about 4 months, now this one for about 2 months...

Terrible company, waste of money television set..

Good thing it's now 18 months.. but still.. maintianing a TV for $600/year is going to be a waste of money...

ratlhead
Unregistered guest
My first bulb just went out after 13 months. Man how I wish this thread was in place before I made the investment in this TV. I did buy the 4 year extended warranty from Best Buy, and I sure hope this doesn't turn into a month long or more process to get the TV fixed (I didn't buy the Sunday Ticket for nothing!).

What scares me is that the trend seems to be the first bulb lasts the longest, then the 2nd and 3rd bulbs are really short in life. Has this been what everyone typically sees?

I'm certainly not about to go through that. Based on what I've seen here and other places online, I might just sell this thing and pick me up a plasma. I can't believe we've all been suckered with a bunch of lemons.

ratlhead
Unregistered guest
Well Best Buy came by today, and it was literally a 2 minute deal...came in...changed the bulb...walked out. He didn't do any inspection or anything...just reset the hour counter and that's it. I never saw what the previous total was.

Anyway, glad to see the process was quick and easy and that Best Buy seems to keep these lamps around for these situations. I had the biggest fear of having to waint a month or longer.

In talking with the guy, I told him how I was thinkin' of selling my TV and moving to a plasma. He said that despite the lamp issues, these displays are the best he's seen around when it comes to picture quality. He said plasmas still have a ton of issues, and that he's seen other LCD displays with alot more issues that Panasonic.

I'll see how long this bulb lasts before I decide to make a change...

Username: Dexter9

just blew the 2nd bulb on my pt50lc13. First one lasted 4 months, 2nd one almost a year. I assumed I was out of warranty, so was searching google for a cheap replacement bulb ($289 was the cheapest i could find), when i stumbled on this thread. I just wanted to thank Mike K. for your efforts and info. My TV is 17 months old, so I called Panasonic. The guy I talked to was aware of the new 18month warranty on the bulb and they're sending me a new one (for free after i send the old one back). Thanks Mike, you just saved me $300!!

Andre S.
Unregistered guest
PT50LC13, stopped working week after 18 months. Pretty sure it's the bulb, but after reading this thread, could be ballast or thermal fuse. Not quite sure how to remove the bulb, I popped the bottom back cover off, but looks a lot more complicated then it probably is. I'd like to remove the bulb to check it out before I order a new one, but seems the only instructions I can find or included with the new bulb... ugh. Maybe someone can post a bulb replacement guide, as well as a guide to check other parts and dust the unit. I don't mind keeping it clean and running, but that's not my job. I don't want to even spend an hour a month cleaning a TV, that's just not acceptable.

Unregistered guest
I haven't read every post but it seems they are all related to the 12 or 13 series. Here is my 2 cents worth on the PT50LC14. Purchased on 8/12/04 and it quit 11 days later. Was replaced on 8/26/04. The lamp power supply went out on 10/2/04 and was replaced. Now I just had the lamp replaced 8/30/05. That's around 3000 hours since purchased. Not a good track record at all. I sure am glad that I bought a service plan for it but it's still a major aggravation to not have it's full use. I had to wait 2 weeks on the ballast and 3 weeks on the lamp.

Username: Dexter9

Andre,

Real simple to remove the bulb to check it.
1. Remove the front panel (the long panel under the screen, has HDTV printed on it). It just pulls off, no screws.

2. Under that, on the left hand side, there's another panel with a sticker, says something like "caution.. Hot surface." This panel has 1 screw you need to loosen and the panel will come off.

3. inside there, there's a black box with a handle in the center. Loosen the screw just to the right of the handle and you can slide the lamp unit out.

If your lamp is bad, it's probably very easy to tell. The glass inside the lamp unit will be smashed into tiny pieces.

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 740
bump

ncdeac
Unregistered guest
Second lamp blew on the 50LC13 model today in as many years. They both lasted almost exactly one year. The first one was replaced at no charge but I imagine since it has been about a year and 2 weeks on the second one I will have to pay for this one. This will certainly be the last item I ever purchase from Panasonic.

dhadder
Unregistered guest
I have had my 50lc13 about 15 months. The lamp light blinks red now. I removed the lamp, looking for the shattered glass pieces listed above, and it look alright. A little of the foil was peeling off the refractor. Do you think the lamp is still defective? Or could it be something else.

dfioc
Unregistered guest
Hi,
50LC13 purchased 12/03. First lamp blew 6/05 and now today so I'm on my third lamp. Question for those here though...

Each time, my display became progressively dimmer to the point I could hardly see the screen. Is this indicative of only a lamp failure or something else? Has anyone else experienced this behavior from their sets?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

also, have there been any problems getting lamps refunded pursuant to the 12 month warranty?

Unregistered guest
I have PT-50LC13 and just lost my second lamp today. The first went out 8 months ago, that means that every 8 months or so I will have to spend 300$ for a new lamp, thats crap! Luckly I have Best Buys 4 year warranty but now I am without a tv again tell at least a week or more. I didn't spend 3000+$ to go through this. Contact if you need my signature for support.

Bronze Member

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=475293#POST475293

Panasonic is covering original lamps for 18 months and replacement lamps for 12 months. I have purchased a spare lamps and when a lamp goes, I call them and give them my credit card for security. They ship me a new lamp, meanwhile I'm using my spare, and then I ship them back (pre-paid) the burnt out lamp. No Problem.

Username: Dhadder

Post Number: 10
I recently got my balast replaced by the panasonic tech. The set worked fine for a day and then the next day I was watching it for about thirty minutes and it shut off and the lamp light keeps blinking. I shut off the power and turn it back on and about 30 minutes later the power goes out again. Any ideas?

bcr4977
Unregistered guest
I checked my PT50LC13 yesterday. I'm still on my first bulb.
Purchased Sept. 2003
5656 Hours
2223 Power on cycles

I'm averaging 3 power ons and almost 8 hours of use a day. I suppose I'm rather abusive compared to others. Environmental conditions vary from cold 60's in the winter and 80's in the summer in my living room. The only good thing I do is keep the TV on battery backup for power outages to allow proper cool down of the bulb.

Unregistered guest
I have Panasonic PV-V4022 VHS VCR, when ever i tried to record something form TV or form other VHS after 40 - 45 mintues of recording the sound started to get bad. I sound like you're tring to speak in front of the fan. I tried alot of Head Cleaning Tapes but nothing happnes. I want to know is it somthing problem with the audio hear. and how can i fix it.

Unregistered guest
I have Panasonic PV-V4022 VHS VCR, when ever i tried to record something form TV or form other VHS after 40 - 45 mintues of recording the sound started to get bad. I sound like you're tring to speak in front of the fan. I tried alot of Head Cleaning Tapes but nothing happnes. I want to know is it somthing problem with the audio hear. and how can i fix it.

lexpauld
Unregistered guest
2004-05-07: I purchased the PT-50LC13 from circuit city

2004-08: Bulb burned out. New bulb mailed. Bulb replaced.

*** Bulb lasted 3.5 months ***

*** Few days without HDTV ***

2005-04-12: Problem again. Balast kit on backorder. Still covered under 1 yr manufacturer warrantee.
2005-04: Purchased extended warrantee from circuit city; good until 2008-05-18.
2005-05-11: replaced bulb and installed balast repair kit (SH-B19-04-10)

*** Bulb lasted 8 months ***

*** 1 month without HDTV ***

2005-10-23: Problem again. Called circuit city. Gave me a choice of mailing me a bulb or scheduling a service appointment. I picked service appointment thinking it would be more than just the bulb. Service center called me, but could not schedule appt until they faxed circuit city an estimate, and circuit city approved it. I waited a few days for that. It was not yet faxed to CC, but they said it would be over 2 weeks until next available appt. So I cancelled that service, and told CC to mail me the bulb.

*** Bulb lasted 5 months *** (assuming it is the bulb at least)

2005-11-01 Still waiting on bulb from circuit city. We'll see if it is more than just the bulb ...

I tried to expedite the CC approval with the service center, so I was directed to the CC "Escalation department". I asked them about lemon laws.

They said it takes 3 problems (more than just a bulb) to be considered a lemon. There was something about 90 days. I think they said problems had to be more than 90 days apart; less than 90 days could be attributed to repairman error.

Would have been nice to watch the World Series in HDTV!

Paul

elektrobank
Unregistered guest
I've had mine for close to 2 years now. A couple weeks ago it wouldn't turn on. The light would flash green for about a minute, then the bulb light would flash then go back to flashing red. I have extended waranty from Sears so they came out. The guy didn't even look at the TV and just ordered a new bulb. I told him that I looked at the bulb at that wasn't the problem but he didn't listen. One week later I have my replacement bulb in and it still has the same problem so now I have to wait another week to have him come out and see it again.
How much will they actually try and work on it before just replacing it? I'm sick of being without a TV and don't want to wait another week or two or three, ect. What will they most likely do next? Has anyone had any luck getting Sears to just replace a TV? I LOVED my TV when it was working but with all these problems I'm hearing here, I'd really like to get a replacement, which would be a newer model I'm guessing. Any suggestions on how I can do this or do I just have to wait and see what they do?

Unregistered guest
From ecoustics.com(http://news.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/159401.html):
Posted by ptm: After a 40 minute wait for a real person at the Panasonic customer service desk a very courteous person explained that the lamp warranty is now one year. She opened a case number and as soon as I fax the proof of purchase to their Lamp Exchange desk they will ship out a new one to replace mine that burned out after 5 months. (Second burn out in 25 months) Paper work with the lamp I'm sending back stated a warranty of 90 days so I suggest if you have a similar problem you talk to a live one at PANA

You will need to talk to a real person. I sent an email to them yesterday but just received a reply to have an authorized tech. check it out. The lamp is easy to replace and instructions come with the replacement. All you need is a phillips head screwdriver.

Posted by spideytech: I just got off the phone with Pany customer service and they are shipping me a new bulb for free. They are also sending a technician out at no cost to give my TV a once over. They were really nice and very helpful. All I have to do is fax them my receipt for my last bulb which was under warranty.

The later post was from me so I can attest to this being true. If you are having trouble with your bulbs please call Pany at 1-888-843-9788. Make sure you get through to a real person and then ask about bulb issues and the new bulb warranty.

Tony Reblok
Unregistered guest
My lamp exploded 2 days ago. This will be my fourth lamp in 22 months. My first one lasted 11 months, which they replaced under the manufacturers warranty. The next lasted 5 months which was covered under the 12 month lamp warranty and they sent out a tech free of charge to look at the tv. He replaced some chip on the ballast board that was supposedly letting the lamp cool down to fast. This one lasted another 5 months.

Needless to say that I am getting fed up with Panasonic. But at least they are covering the lamps under a seperate warranty now so each time I get a new one, I get another 12 months. Even though this is a systemic problem for this TV, I doubt Panasonic will recall the TV. It will be far cheaper for them to continue to replace the bulb rather than replace everyones TV.

Unregistered guest
What worries me is that the problems are deeper than just the bulb. The bulb seems to be a symptom of other problems, which for the time being are covered under the extended warrantee from circuit city. When that warrantee runs out, who cares if the bulb is replaced free? Will I need to pay for a technician to repair a bad design? Over and over ... We have come to expect at least 10 years from a TV. I was willing to fork out $300 for a bulb every five years or so, expecting the electronics to work a good long time.

With any luck (?), it will fail again under the warrantee and it will qualify as a lemon. Then what? I don't think I want another Panasonic as a replacement.

Its now been 18 days without the TV, and 7 more days until the service technician can come to the house. With any luck, he'll have the parts needed to fix it.

Unregistered guest
I bought PT-50LC13 2/2003, it's OK untill recent. It shuts down by itself after 1 min turn on. power light keep flashing for ever, and lamp light flashes every 5 second. I checked lamp and it looks OK.

Does anybody know what's wrong?

Thanks,

miki
Unregistered guest
called panasonic for pt 50lc13 over 2 years old for repeated lamp failure. they will be sending a service company with a bulb to check problem at no charge. i beleive they are trying to do the right thing.

Username: Januszmn

Count Me In in the Class Action Suit !!!!

Here are some pointers:
You cannot submit anything digital like a digital petition to panasonic or a lawyer, because it will never hold up in an court in any state.
You will need to come up with physical letters petitioning with people's signatures, model numbers, and serial numbers. You can accomplish this easily by having blank, single person petitions in PDF format online and have people print them out and send them in.
If you need help with anything, I specialize in computer science. I do have friends that are in electrical engineering.

Here are some other tips. PDF is the most versitile format so anyone using any operating system can open it and print it. To create a PDF, you will need to create it in a text arranting program first. Any program is good( Works, WORD, NotePad, WordPad, wordPerfect, adabas office, powerpoint, illustrator, pagemake, etc..) as long is has a print function. Since you probably dont want to spend money on Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional, just send the file to me and I will turn it into a high quality pdf with the smallest size possible (maybe even smaller than the origional text file.

Below is some other information you will find interesting:
The problem is called cutting costs. Ever since their market crash, the japanese have pushing junk through th market. I experienced this with SONYs back in the day. Its also spread to the cars with the NISSANs being made in mexico. Germans are also experience this since they want to show-up america by perpetuating a false currency called EURO. This is not a problem since we have so few German electronics. The cars on the other hand are of poor quality (like the VolkWagens being made in mexico and then being priced above thier european MSRP).
Well back to the subject. I moved from SONY to Panasonic because somehow SONY could screw up CRT. For gods sake, Its a cathode, cathodes are timesless!!

The problem is with the power supply. Its a faulty power supply...every panasonic TV. The power supply is fault and it seems to fail sometime. This can be masked in a CRT because CRTs were made through 5 wars. They are dependable and can be driven hard in the worst of conditions and still come through. On my first Panasonic, the image warbles from time to time (usually on bright screens because they require more load through the amplifier). The only way to fix that old set is to give it a good hit on the side so the power supply gets shaken do dislodge it from the power cycle. My second CRT was slightly bigger, and only after 4-5 years the power supply actually blew out. A generic power supply was installed cheaply, and it works fine for now. Unfortuantely, CRTs are heavy, and need a lot of room for a high quality image, about 2.5 times its size which is why large size CRTs use mirrors. And the mirroring causes a crappy image with only a 60 degree viewing angle.
Finally, as for the CL, the crappy power supply cannot be masked in a different technology. LCD bulbs are made from mercury and require a steady power supply. The LCDs themselves require a steady flow too. That is why the bulb blows out so quickly. APCs wont help. The bulb is literally burned to its limits. Sounds like japanese cars and japanese electronics with EVOs and Playstations and PS2(See the corellation). The bulb keeps getting damaged on every startup, that is why keeping your tv longer is somewhat better. Don't take this as advice because im sure that the bulb doesnt recieve a flat, steady line of DC. You can also see this in the LCD chip because because of HOT pixels and the DEAD pixels.
Unfortuanetly, I do not have an high precision oscilloscope so I cannot test this so it could as much as the bulb as it is the power supply.
Also, I have a 4 year warranty from Best Buy, so after 3 repairs we get store credit to get a new TV. This is unacceptable because Best Buy treats its customers like trash and your basically lift without a TV for a week if they have the bulb and if they actually call at the time they were specified(which they don't). So it can take up to 3 weeks. The best thing to do is to buy a TEMP bulb to put in there when waiting for a replacement. Just put the broken one back in when its time for lazy repair guy to come.

Bottom line, this is worst than the IPOD design flaw(no easily changeable battery), and something needs to be done for restitution.

No electronics store should have to loose money because of this, and they should be in on some restitution too.

Also, for reference, I've just recently had a burn-out and this will be my second bulb after about 2 years.

Username: Januszmn

There would be no problem if we could buy high quality electronics from name brand producers.

Name brands are usually least popular because their the least advertised.

Like:

RUNCO
Klipsch
DENON

Wilburg
Unregistered guest
I own the PT50LC13 I bought it in June 04. Nov 04 (last game of the red sox world series) the 1st bulb went (have to wait another 82 years err) Panny sent me a new one (easy only waited a few minutes) in May 05 I bought the C.City 4 year warranty (thank god for this forum) the 2nd bulb went in June 05. Now its Nov. 05 and the third bulb just blew (thank god I bought the EW) CC is sending me another bulb. I am considering calling them and asking them for the Ballast. I will do this from now on - CC - EW has a lemon clause stating if they can't get the problem fix in three try's they will replace the set. Has anyone tried this approach?

So far I have not had any trouble getting the parts (now I have the direct parts line - I think they are starting to call me by my first name)

Oh yea, the parts always go on holiday weekends making the process last even longer....

NOTE!!!! Circuit City has changed thier policy as of May 1 2005 - they will only replace 1 bulb - when I spoke to them they said one bulb from Panny and one bulb from CC = 2 bulbs thats it - but I bought mine before May 1 (actually April 30th - whew)and they will do multiple bulbs.

Also I asked them to send a tech - they called one that was 100 miles away from another state- he won't come - so I called CC back and they knew of one that was closer but thier computer would let them send him - so I need to wait two days for someone from CC to call me back to make the schedule - what a crappy way of doing business

3 phone calls this time each over 40 minutes

Wilburg
Unregistered guest
I own the PT50LC13 I bought it in June 04. Nov 04 (last game of the red sox world series) the 1st bulb went (have to wait another 82 years err) Panny sent me a new one (easy only waited a few minutes) in May 05 I bought the C.City 4 year warranty (thank god for this forum) the 2nd bulb went in June 05. Now its Nov. 05 and the third bulb just blew (thank god I bought the EW) CC is sending me another bulb. I am considering calling them and asking them for the Ballast. I will do this from now on - CC - EW has a lemon clause stating if they can't get the problem fix in three try's they will replace the set. Has anyone tried this approach?

So far I have not had any trouble getting the parts (now I have the direct parts line - I think they are starting to call me by my first name)

Oh yea, the parts always go on holiday weekends making the process last even longer....

NOTE!!!! Circuit City has changed thier policy as of May 1 2005 - they will only replace 1 bulb - when I spoke to them they said one bulb from Panny and one bulb from CC = 2 bulbs thats it - but I bought mine before May 1 (actually April 30th - whew)and they will do multiple bulbs.

Also I asked them to send a tech - they called one that was 100 miles away from another state- he won't come - so I called CC back and they knew of one that was closer but thier computer would let them send him - so I need to wait two days for someone from CC to call me back to make the schedule - what a crappy way of doing business

3 phone calls this time each over 40 minutes

wilburg
Unregistered guest
sorry for the double post

odri
Unregistered guest
miki -
yours is over 2 yrs and they still replaced the bulb for free?!!!
mine is 21 months old and just exploded. i have not purchased any extended warranty and was about to order a new one. what did you say to them to make them go to your house and replace the bulb with no charge?

odri
Unregistered guest
is there any other extended warranty i can purchase once i'm out of the factory warranty period? what i'm worried is that even if i purchase a new lamp now, i might still have to buy another one soon.

otavio
Unregistered guest
POSSIBLE LAW SUIT -- I COPIED THIS FROM ANOTHER THREAD:

I am pleased to report that an attorney from the Mills Law Firm contacted me about the TY-LA1000 lamp issue. This firm is currently investigating this issue and will make a determinaton if there is a strong enough case to slam Panasonic with a lawsuit. Nothing guaranteed here, but I am nonetheless pleased that a possible suit is being considered. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO GET INVOLVED, PLEASE CONTACT MR. HARRY SHULMAN AT THE MILLS lAW FIRM. THE TOLL-FREE NUMBER IS 866/764-1658.

DuaneNguyen
Unregistered guest
this forum is great - i just called 888-211-PANA and they are reimbursing me for a bulb i bought 6 months ago, and are also replacing the current broken bulb.

thanks guys.

wilburg
Unregistered guest
I recieved a call from our service department - they found fault with my ballast and were to replace it. Panny reported to him that they had a faulty ballast and will not ship him anymore until they correct the ballast problem. They will however replace the lamps as they burn out.

GaryM
Unregistered guest
I bought a PT-50LC13 on 9/27/2003, and just suffered another bulb failure today, at least the third, maybe the fourth failure in about 2 years. This most recent bulb lasted only 5 months. At least it is some consolation to find that the suffering is shared. Best wishes to all.

Username: Dog5656

Leesburg, FL

Just bought a PT-52LCX65 from the Navy Exchange for $1,900 after rebates. Now finding this site and since my set uses the same LA1000 bulb am thinking about returning it. I have until 1/2/06 to return the set for a refund. I took a 4 yr warranty ($69) that dups the MFG warranty so it looks like they will replace the bulb when necessary. But still what a hassle. My TV runs 9 hours a day.

If you had a do over what TV over 50" would you get.

Username: Dog5656

Leesburg, FL

Just called the warranty plan and they do not cover the bulb. I guess the TV's going back. What a pain to take my set up apart, tear down the stand, put it back into the orig cartons and take it back (40 miles).

Anonymous

Here's another forum for complaints:

http://www.consumerreports.org/static/0512brp0_poll.html

This is on the free part of the Consumer Reports site.

"December 2005

Buying replacement parts

Whether you're talking about appliances or electronics equipment, big-ticket items or inexpensive models, the cost of replacement parts--light bulbs, blade assemblies, mixing bowls, picture tubes, and the like--can be substantial, and sometimes seemingly out of whack with what the entire product cost when new.

If you've recently bought replacement parts for one or more of your household products, we'd like to hear from you."

Tell all your friends and have fun!

Alexw
Unregistered guest
I bought PT-50LC13 about 2 years ago. Last night all the video inputs (video1-3) stoppped working (no audio, no video, VHF/UFH terminal only has audio and no video, component video1 through 4 are still working fine. Anyone had this kind of problem before? I also replaced the bulb twice on this TV in the past 23 months.

Takaris
Unregistered guest
Lamp just blew...had the set for less then a year. Im glad i got a EW from Best Buy but I dont like having these problems. I at least expected the TV to last a year before any major problems.

Any info on class action let me know. (Emiaswg@yahoo.com)

Unregistered guest
I got the PT-50LC13 set(with a 2yr Circuit City plan) from a friend as a gift, he had it about 9 months with no problems. I've had the since November of 2004. Since then I have had to replace the bulb twice, and then today in the mist of College bowl season, it goes out again today. Luckily as of Monday I had extened my CC plan another 2 years for $300. Now I'm out a TV the best weekend of the year. Tech scheduled to come out on Tuesday. Anyone know of a Lemon Law by Circuit City for replacing TV's or any other insight on Pany's fault or class action, please let me know (georgeno51@yahoo.com)

Unregistered guest
How and where can I find the counter to see how many hours I have on the lamp? I just got a message today asking for the lamp to be replaced and to reset the counter. I have a 40" model Panasonic. Thomas

Unregistered guest
Did a little more research on my TV. PT40LC12, purchased October 02. First bulb went out August 04 so 1 yr 10 months. Although the TV is still working I did get this message today about replacing the bulb and resetting the counter. Why replace it if the bulb still works? I would like to reset it tough. Can someone tell me how? And, I wonder if the first person that replaced the bulb reset the counter and this 2nd bulb is only 1 yr 4 months old so doubt I have done the 5000 hours but... Thomas

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 404
How and where can I find the counter to see how many hours I have on the lamp?

I posted the instructions on how to check not long ago, do a search and you should find it:-) Can't find the link right now.

Username: Cabrams

Well, I am in better shape than some of you. Purchased the PT-50LC13 in February 2005 and just called to have my 2nd bulb ordered. First time they made someone come out and this time they said they would just send it. As said above, in Circuit City's EW policy, 3 times is breach and they are supposed to replace the damaged equipment. Has anyone with CC EW called about this?

Username: Cabrams

Wanted to also note that in just about 18 months, I have used the TV 2307 hours total (just checked) and have gone through two bulbs, now on my third. I agre e with most people here that if you quote 10000 hours, you should get at least half that on average. Two bulbs down and just over 10% of 10000 hours per bulb. Not looking good for number 3.

Unregistered guest
I unwittingly purchased a PT40LC12 not even thinking about lamp life (TY-LA1500). I thought it was a great deal at $1000 Cdn but the first bulb blew after 6 months with a replacement of $599 Cdn. I bought the replacement from the US for $360 Cdn. Does anyone know where you can get the bulb only? You really don't need the whole expensive assembly if the bulb only is available.

rob up north
Unregistered guest
Matt, Call Panasonic Canada (I am assuming that you are from Canada as you have stated a CDN $ purchase price.) Calmly explain that you are aware that there is a bulb life expectancy problem, I am sure that they will look after you. They are well aware of the problem with the bulbs and have been great about supporting my unit and have indicated that they will continue to support me with bulbs until they can solve the life expectancy issue. Good luck.

Beau
Unregistered guest
I have a PT-50LC13, bought 2 years ago. I've been reading all the posts here and feel lucky that my lamp only now exploded. I phoned Panasonic just now (888) VIEW-PTV and told them I'd heard they had problems with the lamps in the TV. The woman acknowledged the problem and said it had to do with early versions of the lamps (don't know if I believe that), but that she was going to send out a free replacement and that the newer lamps don't have the same problem.
Don't know if it was BS or not, but all I do know is that they're sending me a free lamp.

Username: Dfioc

Get this. I purchased PT-50LC13 December 03. First bulb blew 6/05. Second bulb blew 10/05. Called Panasonic, they sent someone out to upgrade the ballast as well as replacing the bulb. Third bulb blew 1/06. Called Panasonic again; told them I am on bulb 4 in a little over 2 years. Response...

They are replacing my TV (YES MY TV) with the PT-52LCX65. Certainly unexpected!

Username: Nforceusa

Can anyone get me a purchase receipt for the lamp (TY-LA1500) My PT-50LC12 already cost me 2 lamps which cost over $280 each. I called the panasonic and they promised to send me a new lamp for free if I can provide the purchase receipt which i didn't kept. I would appreciate if anyone here can do me the favour and send me the copy of the receipt to contact@nforceusa.com. Thanks

Username: Namuna

NY/NJ

Panasonic PT-50LC13 50" Rear-Projection LCD.
Bought from Sears on 12/03
Bought 5 year warranty, covered until 12/08

1st Bulb blew 3/25/05 (1yr, 3mths)
2nd Buld blew 2/11/06 (11mths)

Is this problem only with Panny RP-LCDs? Do any other Manufacturers have such issues with theirs?

Tony - Odo
Unregistered guest
I have a Panasonic PT50LC13 HDTV and it is a piece of garbage. It is under warranty and has been in repair 4 times; they have changed the lamp twice and now it won't even turn on. I want to sue Panasonic!!!!

Tony - Odo
Unregistered guest
I have a Panasonic PT50LC13 HDTV and it is a piece of garbage. It is under warranty and has been in repair 4 times; they have changed the lamp twice and now it won't even turn on. I want to sue Panasonic!!!!

Roger Templar
Unregistered guest
PT-50LC13 Panasonic HDTV is HORRIBLE!!! I am now on my 3rd bulb in less than 2 years. I have an expensive UPS for power protection. Panasonic Product support is awful. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER PANASONIC PRODUCT AGAIN!!!! I AM INTERESTED IN A CLASS ACTION SUIT AGAINST PANASONIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Abe Weinstein
Unregistered guest
The PT-50LC13 Panasonic HDTV is a mistake. The bulb keeps on burning out. Is Panasonic retarded or what???? I have to keep on replacing bulbs. Warning: DO NOT BUY PANASONIC TV - IT IS A PIECE OF GARBAGE

Unregistered guest
I have had my PT50LC13 for about 2-2.5 years. The ballast has gone out on me twice so far and I have been lucky not to have any bulb issues. Just the other night my TV has gone out yet again. I WANT Panasonic to replace my TV, but I doubt that would happen. I wish there could be a class action suit against Panasonic to releive the stress we have all endoured because of this sorry television model....

Unregistered guest
I just blew out my 22 month old bulb over the weekend. I purchased this set from the now defunct Advanced Video Systems from Owego NY, an outfit that had been in business for 20 years prior. I purchased the extended 4 year warranty for $280.

Does anyone know if some other entity took over the warranty from AVS, and how to contact them?

Unregistered guest
panasonic did the right thing pt50lc13 i was just asking for a solution to the bulb problem not expecting a free repair. they offered to reimburse me for the bulb i paid for but i lost my receipt. they paid to have my bulb and ballast replaced even though the set was out of warranty. the customer tech support rep was curtious helpful, and gave me his direct contact info just in case. the bulb has not blown since the ballast was replaced 3 months and counting. thank you panasonic. finally a company that listens to consumers.

Unregistered guest
Kevin L
forget about the warranty, just contact panasonic. they will likely take care of the problem. have model serial# and place and date of purchase when you call.

Username: Wilburg

CC Protection offered to replace my 50lc13 with a brand new pt-52lc65 because of three lamp failures and unable to obtain the ballast.

does anyone have info on the Pt-52lc65? I have a spoare lamp, will it work in the new tv?

William,
I have the PT-52lcx65 sitting in my living room after Panasonic replaced my PT-50lc13. They use the exact same lamp, so keep your spare.

Btw, the picture on the new set is much improved, brighter and clearer. I think you'll be happy. Plus, the screen is bigger but it's actual footprint is smaller (speakers below instead of the side).

Username: Wilburg

very good thanks Brian (should I try to scam the lamp in the lc13 for a second spare?)

I would. I did the same. Panasonic sent me an agreement that made me responsible for the "disposal" of the old set. So, I took out the lamp in it to use as a spare and donated the set itself.

Username: Jaga

purchased pt50lc13 2/12/04 1st bulb blew 11/30/04 2nd bulb 6/17/05 tech came out said it checked ok ballast ok replaced bulb 3rd blew 3/22/06 tech is coming out what recourse do i have for new tv its a lemon.

Jim,
If they don't offer to replace your tv, I would ask if they would. Panasonic was extremely helpful for me after my third bulb blew since I purchased the 50lc13 12/03.

Username: Heppincs

Ft. Lauderdale, FL United States

Just got off the phone with panny care people, said they would replsce my POS PT-50LC13 with a new DLP. I have owned that POS 2years,3 months and had to replace 3 lamps, entire light gun, ballast and lost it to service for 3 months last year.
so, what kind of unit do they replace it with??????

let me know how you like the dlp they pulled my pt-50lc13 tv to the shop for ballast replacement said one week lets see.

From what I read on the web the PT-52lcx65 doesn't sound like it does muc better tha the pt50lc13 http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Search.do?c=1&context=&keyword=PT-52LCX65&searchS ection=All&go.x=18&go.y=10
Try that link to CC. I hope they realy do give me the DLp and not just another Tyla1000 lamp eater

From what I hear from the people who fix these LCD's, DLP's and Plasma'S "if you CANNOT pick it up it's a good tv to buy"

Username: Renhoek

Hampton , VA USA

I bought a PT50LC13 in October 2003; My sixth bulb went out last Sunday; PANA just today offered me a free replacement, a PT56DLX75 (DLP).
I accepted and it will be delivered later this week. I guess they're finally starting to take this bulb issue seriously......of course the DLP uses a bulb too, SO....................

Got my replacement TV PT56DLX75 ysterday (DLP)for my POS PT50LC13. Nice set a little bigger. Panny did not give me a reciept so I have to contact them. Need a reciept for their "18 month" warranty on the lamp. Good luck to all

Username: Malikto

Who did you talk to about the replacement set at Panny? I called customer support and they are not aware of any replacement policy on these sets.

Hampton , VA USA

After I reported my Sixth bulb burning out, they sent a new bulb immediately. A couple of days later, they called me to offer me a new set. They called me from a "Panasonic Customer Care Department" at 1-888-293-8918. They said my new set (PT56DLX75/DLP) would be delivered in a week or two (Still waiting.)

Hampton , VA USA

New TV delivered today! PT56DLX75. So far its great. HDTV Tuner built-in. Great Picture. Eventually, if you have enough bulb problems, PANA should offer you a new replacement TV.
They took the old PT50LC13 and are shipping back to PANA.

Username: Brg606

ted, good to hear they are replacing the bad sets with this one. i have the pt-56dlx25 and i think it's basically the same set. i would think that they're pretty confident in this set's bulb life to replace it with this one.

Username: Dja

Today, I received a notification regarding a settlement offer on a class action lawsuit with Panasonic on these TV's check out the following web-site. http://www.tvlampsettlement.com/ It should have all the details regarding your rights in regards to these defective tv's.

Username: Nsx

I have had two bulb failures in 18 months, I know I will have another soon. So I am wondering what happens to the tv stand, I have the 60inch model and I bought the stand from panasonic. If get a new dlp I would have no use for the old stand. So does Panny give me the new stand for free?

Username: Rdf

Circuit is Useless!! Purchased 10\13\03, blubs blew out on 9\28\04, 4\12\05, 12\5\05 ( servcie tech come out from CC - replaceed bulb ) 4\26\06. called to see if I could get a replacement under the Lemon Law - was told by the escalation dept of CC, Bulbs are Consumables, and covered under the warranty I have for 4 yrs. NOT SUBJECT to Lemon Law. Called 1888 333 2333, option 5 Circuit city - Willing to upgrade and pay more $$ = Another sale and custmer they lost - They are really useless !! Added my name to the list for Litigation!!

Username: Riverrun

Panny free replacement of TY-LA1000

Our PT50LC13 (TY-LA1000 lamp) shattered today. After reading your post, we called Panny and they told us that they would replace the lamp at no charge. They did, however also want to know the ser no. from the lamp housing. We merely have to send back the old lamp by return ship. They supply the return ship charge.

Also, they said that they are replacing all TY-LA1000 lamp requests due to the CA lawsuit. This should be a relief to many.

regards,

river

Username: Mig1966

They want the ser no. from the lamp housing, because to add more confusion, there is a lot of bad quality generic lamps in the market.
Read a review here: http://www.ercservice.com/faqs/generic-lamps.html

Username: Riverrun

Got our new lamp yesterday. Looks better and brighter than new. Sent the old lamp back with the supplied ppd shipper. I'd say Panny is becoming well adjusted to consumer response.

Username: Thephantom

I would like to know if there is a guide on how to replace the balast SH-B19-04-10 on PT50LC13. Thank you and your help will be highly appreciated.

I would like to know what the unhappy consumers are doing with the lawsuit? which option im confused.... thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us