Over the Air HDTV

Username: D1ng

Post Number: 1
I've seen people talking about this alot, and I'm kind of new to the whole HDTV thing and I was wondering how exactly to set this up. I recently got a Samsung DL-P5063W and a new HD cable box (Motorola DCT 5106). I get a few HD channels like ESPN and Discovery, but I am not totally sure how to get the main broadcast channels (CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX) in HD. I thought that the Motorola HD converter would be able to show the primetime shows in HD, but they aren't. Please help a newbie here, I need to figure this out in time for the Super Bowl!

Anonymous

Comcast cable for example usually includes digital local channels in the lineup, apparently your cable company does not, and you should double-check this with them

otherwise see if your Motorola box has an antenna-in input and if so hook up a 35 dollar HDTV antenna and point it toward the major antenna farm, preferably near a window using a longer coax lead-in if necessary

last resort would cost you 200 to 300 dollars at Circuit City to buy a Samsung or other brand OTA digital settop box and add an HDTV antenna, and hook up the component cables (or better) from box to TV along with rca's for audio to tv or stereo

note Fox (if you can get it) as a general rule only switches to true 720p hi def right at Superbowl time, so you its hard to test it out ahead of time

Klaus
Unregistered guest
Nathan:
You should have gotten a channel line-up card from your provider. The available HD channels are separate from the regular broadcast channels and should be shown somewhere in the channel line-up. Beware that some cable companies do not broadcast all digital (hd or sd) local channels. They are in a battle with locals over who gets to squeeze the most revenue out of the consumer with the new(but mostly redundant) digital broadcasts.

Post Number: 2
Is 61 miles too far away for me to be able to pick the station up with an antenna?

Anonymous

61 miles is pushing the limits but possible depending upon terrain, however I wouldn't want the Super Bowl riding on it

Post Number: 3
Well I live in Southwest Minnesota so terrain is pretty much flat plains, its worth a shot I guess.

is wnyw fox 5 new york that broadcasts in hdtv what is the channel number for over air

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
That would be channel 5 as well owned by Rupert Murdoch. He also owns:

WNYW - New York City

WWOR - New York City

KTTV - Los Angeles

KCOP - Los Angeles

WFLD - Chicago

WPWR - Chicago

KMSP - Minneapolis

WFTC - Minneapolis

WTXF - Philadelphia

WFXT - Boston

WTTG - Washington D.C.

KDFW - Dallas

KDFI - Dallas

WJBK - Detroit

KUTP - Phoenix

KSAZ - Phoenix

WUTB - Baltimore

WRBW - Orlando

WOFL - Orlando

WOGX - Ocala

WAGA - Atlanta

KRIV - Houston

KTXH - Houston

WJW - Cleveland

WTVT - Tampa

KDVR - Denver

KTVI - St. Louis

WITI - Milwaukee

WDAF - Kansas City

KSTU - Salt Lake City

WHBQ - Memphis

WGHP - Greensboro

WBRC - Birmingham

KTBC - Austin

and:

FOXTEL

SKYPerfecTV

STAR

Stream

Fox News Channel

Fox Movie Channel

FX

National Geographic Channel

SPEED Channel

Fox Sports Net

Fox Sports South

Fox Sports Pittsburgh

Fox Sports Southeast

Fox Sports Midwest

Fox Sports Rocky Mountain

Fox Sports Arizona

Fox Sports Northwest

Fox Sports West

Fox Sports West#2

Fox Sports Detroit

Fox Sports Bay Area (with Rainbow Media Holdings)

Fox Sports Chicago (with Rainbow Media Holdings)

Fox Sports New England (with Rainbow Media)

Fox Sports New York (with Rainbow Media)

Fox Sports Ohio (with Rainbow Media)

Fox Sports Intermountain West

Fox Sports Southwest

Sunshine Network

Madison Square Garden Network

and:

20th Century Fox

Fox Searchlight Pictures

Fox Television Studios

and:

Various newspapers, magazines, 20% each of the Rangers and the Knicks, 40% of the LA Kings and 9.8% of the Lakers, so on and so forth.

xvxvxvx

Anonymous

looks like Fox is finally going (720p) hi def on many shows, and not just mega-events like the Superbowl

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 154
If you have HD, local channels are a must!!

If you cant get them over the air, call your cable/sat provider to see if you are elligible for the East/West coast local channels. Yea, you wont care about their local news broadcasts, but at least you'll have their programming...Primetime shows, sports, events...etc., etc...in HD. Many will find that they can add those to their service at no charge. I did that for fox until my local fox boosts their signal to high power.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us