Hitachi or Sony?

Username: Tikkles

Post Number: 1
Hi All.
i was all ready for the Sony KP57WS520 after reading so many wonderful reviews and stuff. When i went to check it out at sears i felt that the picture had a lot of gray. I tried adjusting the colors and there was still too much black saturation going on in the picture. The Hitachi 57S715 (kept next to it) had a brighter and more realistic colors...the overall picture quality was far better.
However, i'm not sure of Hitachi 57S715....even though i liked what i saw.
Does anybody have either of the two....any suggestions plz?

Username: Tadave

I was going back and forth between the KP57WS520 and the Hitachi.

I brought home the Sony yesterday and WOW, the SD pic's are OK, but with HD from both Direct TV and OTA is Awesome! The sound is very good for a TV as well.

I'm very happy!

Post Number: 2
thanx David. is the color bright and doesn't have gray tone (darker)?

we also compared the Sony KDP-57WS655 with the Hitachi UltraVision Series 57S715. we found that the hitachi had better picture quality. not sure whether the sony @ sears was a defective one. the salesman was raving about the hitachi ultravision series. the guy who came to install our dishnetwork few months back also recommended hitachi tvs..never own a hitachi before so???... from what i saw at the store the hitachi had better quality...???

Username: Tobybul

Grand Rapids, MI USA

It is my understanding that the Pioneer RPTV's have Hitachi engines in it. I have always been impressed with the Pioneers ever since they came out with RPTVs years ago. In fact, the pics of the Hitachis now remind me of the pioneers. I just took delivery of a Sony 57s520 but am swapping it with the Hitachi 57F510 b/c one of the tuners of the PIP may be bad per CC. CC will swap w/o charging. I like dealing with them. Always had very good cust service.

Grand Rapids, MI USA

Post Number: 2
Test Post

Bronze Member
Username: Dwclark

Arlington, Tx Usa

Post Number: 16
I just took delivery of my Hitachi 60vs810 yesterday and all i can say is WOW!! HD is lifelike..i was watching some underwater scene on discovery hd and found myself holding my breath!
SD look good to and DVD'S look amazing...almost HD quality with an upconverting dvd player

chinese poet
Unregistered guest
HITACHI......they make 99% of all the parts in their products from tools to tv's .

that gives them major control in regards to
product preformance,and they make alot of other
parts for,mitsu..panny..pion..viewsonic..fujitsu
etc.etc

I have been a tv tech for 21+years and highly
prefer their products.

hope that helps

Post Number: 3
Thanks guys.
We just got our Hitachi 57S715 today. The picture quality is splendid with real vibrant colors and the sound quality is awesome too!

chinese poet
Unregistered guest
after you have 100 hours burn't in on that
mofo,have it professionally calibrated .

you'll have a totally different tv.

remember keep that contrast and brightness down
on normal viewing ..save it for the good stuff
like dvd plyback.if you have not turned it
down from outta the box get to it.

do a manual converg after 100 hours ,even the results from that will impress you.

good choice and enjoy that sweet thang.

for more tips try hometheaterspot.com they love hitachi's over there,and you'll get alot of good info,just go to the hitachi post and soak it all in.

congrats!!!

Anonymous

my 6 year old Hitachi 50 inch (non-HD) has never had one single problem, they must be doing something right

chinese poet
Unregistered guest
they are the best !!!!!!!!!! hands down!

hitachi builds every single item with their
name on it,, with pride.

I have 21 years in the a/v business and I have yet to see them skimp out on making a quaility
product..even the low end models will out
preform most middle to high end tv's from other
brands.....they also gave mistu a name
by selling hitachi parts, for mitsu tv's.

10 years ago mitsu could not have held a candle
to hitachi,now they have a O.K. product because
of hitachi parts..but it's still no match for
hitachi.
I have (taken alot of tv's apart)repaired alot
of sets and I am still amazed at hitachi's
engineering..it is very smart!

Post Number: 4
Thanks CP.
The TV has been Great so far. Got the Bright House cable connection. The HD channels are awesome but the regular channels look kind of fuzzy. I tried lowering/ adjusting the contrast, brightness and color but doesnt help too much. So we may change it to Directtv. Any clues abt that one?

We are getting a Onkyo Home Theater System (HT-S760).

Need to get a new DVD player, which one do you recommend.
Thanks.

Post Number: 5
SD, by nature will never look as good, it's normal. I have direct TV, and it's no better with SD, but HD rocks.

Grand Rapids, MI USA

Post Number: 3
Well, the Hitachi 57F510 colors are good BUT I still like the Sony 57WS520's clarity and crispness. My sources right now are regular cable and DVD only. When watching DVDs, I seem to have difficulty viewing the Hitachi for the first few minutes. I know one is the glare of bright spots but also I think maybe its also some distortion and flickering? I will be exchanging the Hitachi and go back to the Sony. I did look at a Toshiba last night at BB. It too looks pretty good. Now I am not sure anymore. Also, there are Models now with built in off-air HD tuners and cable card slots. Are these worth considering??? HELP!!!

Thanx David. we used to have dishnetwork before and we never saw any kind of fuzziness or grainy picture, but tht was with a 27" panasonic regular tv.

Is the fuzzy picture on regular channels more obvious due to the larger 57" screen? I dont know if changing from cable to direct tv will help or not.

We have not encountered any other sort of problem with the Hitachi 57S715, its the new ultravision series....we r quite happy with it. So, i dont think there is any problem with the TV.

Post Number: 6
Hello Toby. We did not experience any distortion and flickering. The colors are really good. Maybe you could try lowering the conrast, color and brightness as Chinese Poet has suggested, for both night and day time...that should lower the glare also.

Anonymous

Hitachi is excellent, however perhaps a few can remember getting a type of high just shining up the screens on the old 19 inch Trinitrons

SONY's once blew everything off the map, this occured right before cable TV arrived in force in the United States

Grand Rapids, MI USA

I didn't quite see the point of the last post, anonymous. Can you clarify? Thanks

chinese poet
Unregistered guest
dist and flickering is not a good sign ,
no matter what brand you buy.

please do not confuse that to be normal for any
brand including hitachi,
(well especially hitachi)

you have got to remember that it only takes one
careless person to drop a perfect product and
jar the crt,s

most products are packaged for transport fairly
well but if that set was dropped off a forklift
or shelf etc.......

it has to be recalibrated, sounds like you
recieved a bad set.

Bronze Member
Username: Makobuddha

Post Number: 12
I am looking for owner and service manuals for an older hitachi projection tv please help any sites or anything to help me would be helpful

wjbaker
Unregistered guest
I have a Hitachi 53 HDTV. The convergence moules just went after 3 yrs and the repair guy says this is becoming very common. Has anyone else had this problem? It cost me $490.00 to fix and the repair man says it could go again in the same time frame since there Hitachi parts.

wjbaker
Unregistered guest
I have a 53 HDTV and the convergence modules just went. The TV is 3 yrs old. The repair cost me $490.00 and the repair man says it should last about the same time since they are having problems with them. Has anyone else had the same problem?

Thanks Bill

Post Number: 6
I've seen convergence issues with the Phillips TV's, but not in Hitachi. I have seen a flicker issue in some newer Hitachi's though.

It's like buying a car, find one that you like the looks of (External) and like the picture quality and inputs/outputs.

I've watched the quality go up and down with every brand over the years. In the late 90's Toshiba was awesome for the price, then the quality came down as the sales figures went up. Same with just about every other brand.

chinese poet
Unregistered guest
swish'

try "tri-tronics" they sell every manual know to man

hope this helps
c.p

chinese poet
Unregistered guest
Hey baker,

man that's a bummer and very rare to see
in that timeframe,do you do regular
cleanings inside your set to rid it of dust?

dust is #1 enemy of electrical componets
if you have any sort of hepa air cleaner put it
in close distance to your set.

and clean that mofo on a regular basis
so the dust will not hold the heat and burn
up your wallet.

maintenance pays off.

the repairman in my opinion made a false statement about hitachi parts,they make
parts for ALOT of companys that compete with
them like ,mistu..fitsu...panny..tosh etc..
so if that statement were true all these sets
would be burning out in 3 years.

find another repairman!!

keep a clean machine so it will run cool and
you should have no problems .

if you can incorporate a hepa in that area
you can reduce the dust that the tv collects
like a magnet because of the high voltage it
produces.

c.p
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums