Probem recording in 16:9 aspect ratio

Unregistered guest
Just purchased a Sony GX300 and have a Sony HX700 on order being shipped to me (non-returnable). Having trouble with the GX300 recording in 16:9 aspect ratio. I am using DVD-R disks per the manual (manual states that 16:9 cannot be recorded onto DVD+R disks). Record settings are set for 16:9, as is TV size in initial set-up instructions. Format mode is set to "Video" instead of "VR" per Sony tech person. When viewing the broadcast through my unit, and when viewing DVD after recording, the picture is playing out in 4:3 aspect ratio with additional "bars" across the top and bottom. In other words, I'm getting a "miniaturized" view of 16:9 (bars on all sides of the picture).

Sony tech support has gone as far they can go with this problem. I don't how to correct problem and I'm told by Sony tech that the settings to record/burn on the HX900 are the same. Those bars on all 4 sides look terrible. Has anyone else been able to record 16:9 aspect ratio on a Sony unit?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
You are recording what the recorder is recieving from it's source. There is nothing for Sony tech support to repair, the recorder is working as designed. No DVD recorder will record anything different than what you are currently recording. You are recording either from S-Video or composite inputs so you are getting a 480i input in a miniaturized anamorphic mode.

What all of us do is when replaying the DVD we set our displays to Zoom or full modes then the proper aspect ratio is retained.

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
The Sony guide says DVD+R's are "fixed" at 4:3. Why does the Philips, a DVD+R machine, have a 16:9 recording option if DVD+R's cannot record it? Is this strictly a Sony limitation?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us