Bah... Cablevision/IO HD box BLOWS

Bronze Member
Username: Gnnr

NJ USA

Post Number: 57
Well, their tech came today... nice line up of channels and what not. Box looks identical (Atlantic) but has DVI and Component on the back. He flipped to one or two HD channels before leaving and it looked okay, gave me essentially the bum rush. After he leaves I discover my SD channels have gone to rasterized, pixelated hell, the digital channels are nearly the same, and the HD is more often than not identical in quality to the SD!!! Crap heads.

What little bit I saw on my new HLP4663W in true HD was amazing, but I did note that even some HD broadcasts were in stinking 4:3. ESPNHD has nice custom side bars, but the cable box throws up some dirty dark grey bars on the side that I will NOT tolerate.

This sucks pipe big time.

Bronze Member
Username: Gnnr

NJ USA

Post Number: 58
I know it's the box... previous analog/digital box with the same package (I just didn't get the HD channels) looked much better. I can see it going from bad to worse and back too and occasionally flashing, and the sound sometimes takes 10 - 30 seconds to come on when switching channels from one to another.

BAH!

I tried it without sound hooked up, tried it on component, tried it on crappy 2-video (which actually looked better than component or DVI) and tried it on DVI... it all sucks, or rather this box does.

Double BAH!

ganeshra
Unregistered guest
Man, Tell me about it. This HD cablevision box sux bigtime. I got my new Philips HD TV last week and was very eager to connect the HD box. Boy, did I hurry it ? Yes I guess I did. Once connected in HD, menu takes awfully long time to comeup. The normal cable box was much much better. The quality of the other channels except HD were crap. Now I think I did a blunder by getting a HDTV and particularly this F***ing HD box from cablevision

JFAT1202
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know if IO will ever get rights to the NFL games? I keep hearing rumors but can't find anything. I thought that Direct TV had an exclusive contract thru '07. Anyone know anything?

Bronze Member
Username: Optivity

Post Number: 36
It's common knowledge that Samsung TV's with DNIe processing don't do a very good job rendering SD. If you want the best picture, buy either a Pioneer or Panasonic PDP and use a CableCARD.

JohnG
Unregistered guest
I have Cablevision's DVR-HD cable box ruuning HDMI into my Sony SXRD and the picture is awesome.

I'm watching The Ghost Whisperer tonight on CBS-HD and it looks stunning.

This is the way to go.

Robert Boccio
Unregistered guest
Is Cablevision's DVR-HD box the only one with an HDMI connection? I just purchased a Sony 42" Grand Wega and it has an HDMI hookup.

Anonymous

Anyone else have any issues with Cablevision and HD cable?

I've got a new LCD and I want to know if i should get the HD box. The early reviews make it sound like garbage.

Username: Snobum

Post Number: 2
The HD-DVR is great. Much faster than the regular HD box. There is definetely a big lag between the time you hit a button and a response with the regular HD box and gets annoying quickly. The HD-DVR has the HDMI (I use that) and the regular one only has DVI. They both have component.

JET
Unregistered guest
I got the IO box with DVI
I only get the option for 4x3 on most channels
I have a MP2 NEC Plasma

the DVI doesn't work
I get the error "illegal signal"

So I hooked up with HDTV composite plugs
Most channels have the bars on the sides
Even some HD channels
It doesn't let the TV use stretch mode zoom or cinema modes
i can't even stretch the screen to 16x9
It stays on the "full" option only

It is burning an image line down each side where the bars are

HD channels that are 16x9 look great
But i was getting most of them on my hdtv tuner over the air antenna in 16x9 already for free

need to find out how to get the hdtv plug working
anyone have a manual for the IO HDTV DVI Box?

Anonymous

The problems the non-Sony guys are having with the pixelation is the fault of the non-Sony TVs not being able to make appropriate adjustments to the signal.

Anonymous

All the cmoplaints made here are by people that don't know anything about technology or how hd works. These problems have nothing to do with the box and everything to do with the current feeds coming in that are either not in widescreen hd or not hd at all. THe cablevision hd box is no different from other hd boxes. Know what you are talking about before you post stuff that makes no sense.

Username: Bellboy

Lawn Guyland, NY

When I first got the Cablevision HD STB, I saw similar 4:3 where expecting 16:9. Tech support then told me about pressing the SETTINGS button twice and adjusting the format. Would have been nice if they left a User Manual with the box.

Username: Dishwatcher

NJ

Just to add my 2 cents... from my experience...

I would tend to agree with JohnG and snobum. I am not on HD yet. I will be upgrading next month. (with the SXRD too)

But when I went from my regular digital i/o box to the DVR i/o box the picture improved like night and day. In fact the whole operation of the box is superior. It is a better made box.The DVR and the better made box are well worth the additional cost.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us