Can someone tell me what to buy for a TV. I have satellite.

cbg
Unregistered guest
I am so confused. I am sick of researching and reading all the posts. Everytime I think I know what to buy I research that item and than I find out somethings wrong with it. I am still deciding whether to get a crt, Lcd or a Dlp. I have satellite (Dish Network). I don't want to pay for plasma. I am putting this tv in an amoire in my bedroom. Dish network has a very good deal for a crt 34 inch for $700 but I thought I may go larger. I know I can fit the 44 inch DLP toshiba in the space. This is around $2000. So unless I can't find anything larger that fits, it will be around a 44 inch. I don't plan at this time to get HD programming. Just the standard SD service for now, so I still want good viewing, or I might as well buy an old cheap 35 inch regular TV. What should I buy. Just tell me so I don't have to think. Thanks...

Anonymous

Sony 42 LCD projection if it fits does alot of things well, with LCD itself the best all around workhorse technology, and will look good if and when you see HD

I take it you haven't seen the Oscar Awards in hi def. It is absolutely amazing, probably better than being there

DLP for Me!
Unregistered guest
Oh no...not the "workhorse LCD" guy again!

cbg
Unregistered guest
sony doesn't fit, it's 32 high. Nothing fits except the 44 inch toshiba dlp, it's under 30 inch.

DLP for Me!
Unregistered guest
Well...there ya go! Enjoy that Toshi. Get yourself an extended warranty, order the HD, pop some corn and sit back all giddy, as you stare in amazement at that fabulous eye-popping DLP picture. You're going to love it!

Username: Wildcats1

Louisville, KY USA

Post Number: 5
DLP for Me, why are you so for DLP and against LCD? I have the Hitachi 60VS810 and compared it to the Sammy, the Tosh, Mitsu, Sony.......As far as the picture goes, they are all pretty comparable, features, a little less so, cabinet design, WOW! The Hitachi is by far, in my opinion, a better looking TV, with an awesome picture. I like the DLP's, but I noticed some pixelization and what I would compare to tiling with a digital signal such as cable or satelite. Not exactly tiling, but what appeared to be some distortion of the picture and I noticed it on several brand DLP's. I have yet to notice that on my LCD with the exception of the occasional tiling coming out of my cable box. Not slamming ya, just wondering why. Also, while I'm here, before I got my HD box, I just had a cable line connected to the ANT A input on my TV. I was getting channels that I had never knew existed. My son works for the local cable company and he had never seen some of the channels and those that he recognized were not on the correct channels. I'm talking X X X p o rn, current on demand pay per view movies (spiderman 2, I-Robot, etc.) I was getting channels such as 81-1 all the way through 81-11 and so on. What is up with the dash? I understand on my local channel numbers ex. channel is the Weather Channel on cable but 3 over the air is NBC so on 3-1 I get NBC in 4-3 aspect in HD on 3-2 I get NBC in expanded HD. Any idea on the other channels? I don't subscribe to any of them and with the box they no longer come in. What gives?

Bronze Member
Username: Triedit

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 26
Danny, other than knowing that the 60VS810 has a great picture, I know very little about it.
Does it have a built in cable tuner? Sure sounds like it based on the channels that you were receiving. Still not sure how you got all of those channels without a card. The -1 represents HD with over the air signals. Not sure about cable. Why did you bother with a box if you were getting all of those signals?
FWIW I have a friend who recently subscribed to basic cable. He is getting a lot of premium channels (free) with the box. The first night that I had my HD box I also got all channels although I only subscribe to basic cable. The next day I only got basic and 2 HD channels.
Cable companies do make mistakes, sometimes in our favor.

Bronze Member
Username: Triedit

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 27
cbg, I would be very cautious about buying the Dish TV. Good deals are only good if the PQ matches the price.
As an example: A relative recently bought a 51" CRT Toshiba. He has Dish but no HD. The PQ is worse on SD than any DLP or LCD that I have seen. With DVD's it is no better than my DLP on SD channels.
No one can tell you what will best fit your needs. You need to buy at a store with a good return policy. Make a choice and if it is not the correct one then exchange for another TV.
There are trade offs with each technology and it is not easy to make a decision on which is best. If one was the best for all then only one would be manufactured.

DLP for Me!/Post Reader
Unregistered guest
Hi Danny,

Well...I've done a lot of research on the Texas Instruments DMD chip. I am completely impressed with the R&D and refinement processes that T.I. implimented in the creation of this extraordinary long-lasting (30+ years) chip. I'm not crazy about the color wheel, but I can live with it until the introduction of their 3 chip prism module (no color wheel) in affordable rear projection sets soon. The picture is just fabulous. The contrast ratios are creating true blacks. The colors are vivid and the overall picture is very bright and clear. There are no motion artifacts in action scenes. These qualities don't deteriorate with time and therein lies the true quality. Only the lamp will dim or fail. It's designed to be consumer replaceable and lamp prices will drop drastically, Samsung tells me, and be readily available at CC, BB, and most electronics stores soon. Just pop one in and it's like a brand new set off the showroom floor and this can go on for decades. That's the awesome advantage of DLP. LCD just can't match this kind of longevity. I'll admit, the LCD and LCOS picture is excellent, but for how long? These are sealed liquid crystals, both organic (LCD) and in-organic (D-ILA/LCOS) that are affected, actually altered by long term exposure to light and heat. None of the LCD's, and I mean absolutely none of them are lasting more than 4000 hours before yellowing or degrading to a drastic degree. A lamp won't fix it either. The display is irrepairable, however expensively replaceable, and therefore not practical. D-ILA/LCOS is more promising as far as lasting a decade, maybe, but that's about it.

I like technology that gives long-term value. I wasn't raised with the disposable crowd. Here is a link to another thread discussion that also has important links to other information discussing LCD vs DLP "Torture Tests". In this thread I was basically attacked by a poster that goes by "tvshopper". He had no comeback for my last post, though. Check the links. Read for yourself. See why I think DLP is here to stay!

P.S. I think it's great that your tuner found those unscrambled channels in your cable signal!

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/120383.html

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us