Recording HDTV from Comcast/Motorola 5100 Cable box

Username: Whturner

Post Number: 1
Need a Guru or at least expert advice, please

Using the S Video and the R/L Audio from the Cable box my Gateway DVD recorder will record all the HDTV TV channels in both letterbox or Pan scan modes, up to the 1080i resolution, and play them back OK ( on the same machine). The VTS_01_x.VOB file on disk is identified as a Video MPEG-2 and the Audio as MPEG2.
Does the MPEG-2 format really capture all the information for HDTV playback, including the 1080i resolution, or does it downconvert to some lower resolution for recording and playback?

Cheers
Warren

Anonymous

you of course mean record to hard drive only?
If its otherwise its impossible under any circumstances

Username: Whturner

Post Number: 2
Actually I mean direct from the cable box to my Gateway DVD recorder/player. I am currently recording all the channels, including the wide screen/HDTV 1080i broadcasts. There is no hard drive in the process.

But the DVD recorder specs claim 720p recording capability, so maybe the question is: if the cable box is set to 1080i, what is the recorder downconverting to? 720p? 480p? 480i? And what do I get when the cable box is set to 720p?

Cheers and thanks
Warren

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
480i is all you will ever get via an S-Video connection from your STB to your recorder. Your recorder will not record a 720p signal although it may be able to upconvert an output to 720p.

xvxvxvx

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
480i is all you will ever get via an S-Video connection from your STB to your recorder. Your recorder will not record a 720p signal although it may be able to upconvert an output to 720p.

xvxvxvx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us