Got it! - Samsung HLP4663W

Bronze Member
Username: Gnnr

NJ USA

Post Number: 47
Nice!

No noise from the internals. I have to be down behind the unit and within a foot to hear it at all.

No audio sync problems on SD signals or on computer, turned off TV speakers and no lag on DVD (HDMI or Component). SD look okay, not quite as good as my old 32 Tosh, DVD component and HDMI are nearly the same in quality but HDMI looks just a hair better (and I can't see any difference between 480p to the TV and letting the DVD upscale it to 720p or higher). Bright, great colors, good menu system, decent remote. Got my laptop up on it just fine through PC connection (need to get powerstrip in so I can go higher than 1024).

Man oh man is it nice. Wife of course 'hates' it, but she had a big grin on her face with the laptop hooked up... have a nice BTC home theater/multi-media keyboard wireless deal hooked up and she can cruise from the couch and run MP3s now through our high end Yamaha off the network server. She'll come around I am thinking, heh.

Can't wait until Tuesday to get my HD in. I am hoping that after he gets the lines tweaked and tested that running 1-99 SD into ant1/coax on the TV will get a slight boost in signal and IQ quality.

I put a 600A APC UPS in just for the TV and my coax goes through a surge filter on a Home Theater power strip (didn't see any change in quality on SD doing that, thankfully).

The unit has a December 04 manufacture date so it has the board/engine upgrades and the right bulb in it.

The color out of the box looks great... my DVE disk came in last night so I will probably run that tommorrow. No lense or screen issues, no dead pixels... this is just great!

I can't decide if I want to run my component cables (AR) through the Yamaha amp though... I am thinking it might degrade color and IQ a hair... on the flip side, it means I have to get a better universal remote than my Kameleon in order to eliminate the four remotes I have now since I need more extensive groupings and programming options to control the entire system in a given media circumstance. My XBox looks sweet on it too, but with a good PC image I probably will sell it off now since I prefer PC games anyway.

I will report back in a few weeks after it's broken in some... hopefully with such a new manufactured unit I won't have any problems like others.

I even like this SD-5970 Toshiba DVD player. Doesn't play one of the DVD-R formats but otherwise it works perfectly. My only gripe would be with the limited field of view the IR pickup for the remote has... that really does suck.

Bronze Member

NJ USA

Post Number: 48
One thing I have noticed... the DVD in either component or HDMI is still boxed top and bottom. It's set for 16:9 output and everything on the TV settings appears to be correct. The image looks great, but it's boxed and I didn't think it would be.

Is this correct... my first 16:9 screen so I am noobish here.

Informed DLP Owner/Post Reader
Unregistered guest
Congratulations Mr. C!

I popping, isn't it?
I had to turn my color level down.
Looks even better in your home, doesn't it?
HD Discovery is my favorite channel.
I have basic cable because I have broadband internet, but I picked up a Sammy SIR TS360 Direct TV/Terrestrial Receiver. It combines all signal sources into one guide. For instance, I can channel up or down through four abc channels, Sat, off-air analog, off-air digital, and cable. The different feeds come in handy during a heavy rainstorm. DTV's SD is much better than basic analog cable's SD. HD is just stunning, both off-air and DTV. I'm running an Onkyo 602 HT for Surround Sound and an old Pani PS DVD. All my audio hook-ups are optical and I'm in Home Theater Heaven. I know you are too!

Well...let us know all about it after a while. Take it easy.

Jim

Post Reader
Unregistered guest
Yea... anything in 2:35.1 format, which they call "Widescreen" will have top and bottom bars. The DVD format for these sets is 1:85.1 and old tv is 1:35.1, so, I look for DVD's with 1:85.1 any time I rent or buy. Not many out there yet. I don't know what their problem is.

Bronze Member

NJ USA

Post Number: 51
yeah, after a bunch of searching ont he forum I came across the above information. Bummer.

Our Cablevision/IO Digital HD feed is excellent... about 20 channels including movies on demand and HBO on demand in the package (no charge with digital, which I have). It's installed tuesday, can't wait to check it out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us