Cheapest route to OTA HDTV?

Username: Dsurls

Post Number: 1
I have an HD-ready TV, and am considering D* and E* in order to get HD programming (I'm currently on Bellsouth cable, who doesn't offer HD). However, I am really only interested in getting the (free) local network OTA broadcasts -- not the "HD Paks" available from the sat companies for $10/mo. Does anyone have any thoughts on the cheapest/best way to get a receiver and antenna with either of the sat companies?

Username: Obrienaj

Fredonia, NY USA

Post Number: 3
Satellite TV only provides local HDTV if you local area is NYC. You can possibly get HDTV locals OTA by buying an OTA "set top" HDTV tuner. They range from $200 to $500 with many supposedly good ones in the $250 range. You need to may sure your locals actually transmit HDTV, many are just beginning. You will also need an antenna , usually UHF, to pick these stations up.

Username: Tadave

Post Number: 3
I just went with a Winegard Square shooter antenna and it picks up HD programming very well. I'm 30 miles away, and don't have a booster.

Bronze Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 69
I just wanted to add on Andrews comments......

You dont have to necessarily live in LA or NYC to get their HD local channels. For example, I live in Kansas City, and DTV added the NYC Fox at no charge to my service. If you have direct TV, you can go to their website and they list which cities are elligible to receive a given East/West coast local channel. Fox was the only channel I couldnt get over the air, so it was the only one I had added to my service. I didnt add the others, because I think the air signal is slightly better quality.

Username: Obrienaj

Fredonia, NY USA

Post Number: 6
Correct , Paul. A few large cities have HDTV via Dish or Direct, but not many...yet

Username: Bcusack001

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 1
Chicago has many "On The Air" digital stations and many are HD. The digital channel 38(religious) has six subchannels - all Standard TV. NBC has 2(5.1 and 5.2) ABC has three (7.1, 7.2 and 7.3.) Best is WTTWD (11.1) many programs are rebroadcasts or Traffic/Weather. I'm told the bandwith is a consideration with subchannel count and quaility.
I've e-mailed many stations requesting better programming with some responses stating they are working on it.
I am very happy with the Samsung SIRT-451 with has HDTV and Standard TV outputs so I can watch digital TV on my regualr TV's that have the Video-IN and Audion-IN jacks. I use IR repeaters to change the channel from different rooms than where the Samsung Set Top Box is located.
The antenna is on the Condo Roof. It is used by 48 units with booster and spliters.
I have one HDTV (Samsung) and four Standard TV's that I split the three wires(Video, L-Audio and R-Audio.) 25 ft Threeway RCA cables ar $10 at Tristate Electronics or a bag of 10 COAX to RCA convertor jacks are $5.

Unregistered guest
I live in lake placid fl I have a 70ft tower and have directv hughes hdtv receiver pick up about 15 to 20 local highdefinition $ digidal chanells from ft meyers,tampa,orlando and naples all for free.I do not use directv hdtv has they charge $10.99 for 4 chanells and I think its to much.

Username: Tmanxx

Sacramento, CA USA

Post Number: 7
Cheap? If you can find a spare computer, you can pick up an ATI HDTV Wonder card for it which has of course an HDTV tuner and comes with the Zenith indoor antenna for <$150.

Chuck@MD
Unregistered guest
Do OTA HD stations broadcast a test pattern all day (except when actually showing tv shows)?

I rcv from Baltimore MD (WMAR, WBAL, WJZ).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us