Toshiba DR2 ram discs?

Username: Dressed2kill

Post Number: 1
Does anyone else have a DR2 that has a hard time reading ram disc's. The ram disc that came with the recorder works fine, but I have tried various other brands such as Memorex, Maxell and Fuji and all come up with an error that the disc is damaged or needs to be cleaned. Just curious on others experiences with this.

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 582
Have you formatted the discs? They usually come formatted for a PC not a standalone.

Post Number: 2
That's part of my problem, I can't get the recorder to recognize the disc to format them. I could be preforming the process to format them wrong as well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 589
I haven't used the Toshiba, but in the menus on the Panasonic and JVC there's a place to format the discs.

Post Number: 3
I played with this some more last night, the menu wil not let me format the disc until it is recognized. This is the same from just the regular meu or the quick menu button. I am beginning to think that this machine only reads the ram media that came with it. The only difference in the media is the toshiba media is in a cartridge, the rest of the media I have has been straight disc media. Would this make that big a diference?

Silver Member

Post Number: 590
I have used both without any problems. Maybe the machine is defective. You could try taking a disc into an electronics store near you if you can find one that has the recorder on display. They definitely need to be formatted, out of 190 RAM discs , most of them double sided, I maybe got a dozen that didn't need to be formatted.

Post Number: 4
I do believe I have this figured out, so if you have a DR2 and are having problems with ram discs I hope this helps.
Just on a whim I tried swaping the discs, I took a the toshiba that came with the recorder out of the cartridge, popped the fuji in the cartridge and bang no problem. The menu allowed me to format it no problem, recorded a small amount to test it and play it back, still no problems.
So just to confirm my findings I took the fuji that I had recorded on out of the cartridge and tried to get it to play, I ended up with the same deal as I had before "disc is damaged or dirty".
So it seems the key is in the ram disc being in a cartridge for it to properly be recognized.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us