Hdmi vs Component for HD source.

Username: Psu828694

Post Number: 10
I tried looking for an old thread on this because I'm sure it has been discussed. With that said, I would like to offer my now current situation(since I have experienced it). I own a Sony kdf55655 LCD RP. I have HD using Comcast Set top box. I have been using the component set they supplied me with. I've been drooling at the picture quality even after a month. I cannot believe Hd and SD channels look 10x better than my old CRT Rp. I should have stopped, but I decided to go with the DVi to HDMI cable. Mistake. I only liked the picture better on certain HD channels that used really good cameras, such as Discovery. Other than that, all the SD channels were to dark to view, and I noticed no upgrade on most HD channels. So until the industry standard is HD for everything I will use my component cables. Just my situation as of now, FYI. Good luck to all.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 437
I had the same results with my Motorola box from Comcast and my JVC Dila. I stuck with component cables too.

Username: Lampright

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 1
I have comcast HD DVR and 52" Mitsubishi DLP. I have to disagree, I paused an HD show and switched back and forth between component and DVI/HDMI and the DVI looked noticably better than the component. And the DVI showed the entire picture where the component was cutting part of the picture off. Of course the component video cable I was given must have been 12' long.
I have not compared SD, I'll have to go back and do that. SD looks pretty crappy currently using DVI. I'll see if it looks any better over an analog signal.

Username: Jetz

Post Number: 1
I'm buying a Toshiba 62hm94 DLP. It has a cable card feature I want to use. My digital cable has music channels which I listen to thru a receiver. With my current cable box I can turn off the TV and still listen to and change the music channel. I don't want to leave the DLP TV on while listening to music and use up the lamp life. Is there asolution to this other than using an HD CATV box? I'll have a digital optical audio out connected to the receiver.

FYI
Unregistered guest
I have nothing against Toshiba, but the CableCard technology is riddled with glitches and I wouldn't use it. Keep the set top box, be it cable or sat, with the digital optical connected to your receiver. You won't loose your music feature or the cable guide or your interactive pay-per-view capability. Cable companies were not prepared for CableCard. I've heard horror stories about clueless cable techs and the splitting of weak cable signal to take the digital signal through the CableCard and the analog signal into another input on the set. The result is bad standard def picture quality on another input you have to switch to.

FANTOSH
Unregistered guest
Folks

I just bought a 62HM94 but I am not happy with how the standard channels look.

I had a Mits wd-62525 and switched to the Tosh because I could not stand the glare...but evrything else being equal the mits was way way better than the Tosh in SD ...there's just no comparison.

Granted SD picture will not be great but it just is pretty bad on the 62HM94.

Any of you out there have been able to tweak anything to make your SD picture look better?

I will post my HD experience soon.

Bronze Member
Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 15
Fantosh, are you using a STB for SD? If so, you will probably get better results splitting the cable feed and running it directly to the ANT input on the Toshiba. Others have had success using this in conjunction with a booster depending on the quality of the incoming signal.

Bronze Member
Username: Lampright

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 77
It's very possible that your Toshiba sharpness is set higher from the factory than the Mitsu was.

A very important setup issue is to turn your sharpness way down on the TV. Most come from the factory set very high which is not a good thing...it actually adds noise and false lines into the picture. You want to turn your sharpness down to the point before it actually starts to blur the picture.
I would highly recommend buyng the DVD Essentials DVD, it is a huge help in getting the picture setup correctly. Without it, it's hard to get brightness,contrast,sharpness, and color all set correctly.

And, as Kdog044 said, if you have an HD DVR like I do with Comcast, you want to split the cable and run it into the back of the TV and use the TV tuner for the analog channels. The HD DVR makes the analog channels look horrible because it compresses them into a digital format.

FANTOSH
Unregistered guest
Brian Kdog ...thanks for your suggestion . I did reduce the sharpness and split the cable as kdog suggested and the picture is better now.

However after having my 62HM94 for about a week ..evrything seemingly working ok(touchwood) , I see the set having a tilt probelem(which is what I believe its called)

The top left edge of the picture is shfted to the right by about 0.2 inch and that tilt builds up gradually from the bottom left.

Its noticeable in some cases where there is a gap of about 0.2inch between the left topedge of the picture and the frame that slowly disappears as you traverse down the left edge top to bottom.

Also noticeable in tickers where as you move along horizontally from left to right along the bottom more and more of the ticker gets cut off.

Any of you folks have this problem ...?

Any help would be great and your advice on whether to call it in to Toshiba would be great.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us