Antenna or wait 4 DTV?

Username: Tommypenngotti

Post Number: 5
was going to pick up the Sony KDF-60XS955 & was told I need a"long range" antenna to get locals ....Directv announced they are going to be offering locals , but when ?? how much?? That seems like the better move with a receiver that has HDMI outs? thoughts anyone? I'd rather not wait....but I also heard DTV is going to be offering 150 HD channels soon??
thanks

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
but I also heard DTV is going to be offering 150 HD channels soon??

Bad information you heard, not going to happen unless you are counting the local HD channels being sent to their respective local markets which is how DTV is advertising it. Somewhat misleading although technically accurate.

xvxvxvx

Still Learning
Unregistered guest
Any good UHF antenna will do. Don't wait!

Bronze Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 20
The first thing I would do is call Direct TV because they have an East/West coast HDchannel up and running for each the local channels. They are listed in the 80s on your channel guide. You can go to the HD section of the direct TV website, and they list the markets elligible for each channel, but you have to make the phone call and request activation or it will never happen. If you live in an elligible market, they will activate those to your service at no charge if you already are subscribing to the HD package and local non HD channels. For example, I could not get local Fox over the air, and they added the NYC HDFox to my service for no charge. With the Superbowl quickly approaching, whoah.......Im glad they hooked me up because it's on FOX!!

As for your reception?? How far are you from the transmitters?? You can go to your local TV channels website and find their locations.

Also, I've been told that you CANNOT use 'any old' antenna. Circuit City and best buy sell antenna designed for all signals including digital. Buy one and hook it up and give it a try. You might be suprised at what comes in. If it doesnt work, simply return it for a refund.

I was told the same thing, and I get all local channels in digital except fox using a little antenna that sits on my TV. If you're planning to use a small indoor antenna, the word on the street in these parts is this Terk Antenna works the best and Circuit City sells them for about $49.00.
http://www.terk.com/HDTVi.html

I didnt even pay for mine......I called and negotiated with Direct TV and I convinced them to pay for it....."Laugh". Negotiation is a great thing:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
To respond to the 150HD channel comment......

xvxv is right. I recently talked to the good folks at DTV about this and they said they plan to have a launch by late summer '05, and it will carry HD local channels to a majority of the markets throughout the country. Yea, 150 markets, but sorry......its only the four local channels as far as each customer is concerned.

Also keep in mind, that even with a HD signal for local channels, not everything is in HD. The key is though, that when a HDTV program comes on (IE...selected sporting events and primetime programming)at least then you will get them in HD.

In 2007 they plan to launch more sats, and those will be the exciting ones:-)They will have a huge capacity, but that doesnt automatically mean they will immediately be broadcasting a ton of new channels. Hey....at least the capacity will be there.

Post Number: 6
I read that DTV will require a 5 LNB swap out from 3 when these new satellites get launched ( could that spell trouble for you HDTV TIVO owners) so consequently , this pushes me closer to the antenna route until DTV figures this out....

my locals are approx :

SF > 28 miles (majority of locals)
Oak > 13 miles
San Jose > 48 miles

think that Terk would work?
thanks
:-)
new HDTV on SAT hopefully!

Frustrated
Unregistered guest
I just hooked up a Panisonic that has a HD tuner. I live 40 miles from Chicago. I get ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, WGN, PBS and and few other channels in HD with an in the attic cheapy uhf antenna. Give it a try.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Tommy,

All I can say is give it a try because if it doesnt work, you can return the antenna. Not all local TV stations are broadcasting their HD signals at full strength yet. It shouldnt matter which city locals come, so long as it's one from each network. News broadcasts are low def anyway, and you can watch them on the low def channels.

IMO, having locals in HD is a must because they have so much HD programming. Wow, I couldnt imagine watching the superbowl in Low Def:-( Im lucky that I have all of them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
As for the LNB thing.......

I asked Direct TV about that and the guy said I wont have to pay for any required upgrades if that turns out to be the case. I suspect he is right because they give those things away to new subsribers on the low def plan anyway. If I was smart, when I made the HD-upgrade, I probably could have convinced them to pay for my upgraded dish too, but I didnt think to ask.

I suspect, they'll ask you to agree to a one year contract, and they'll supply the upgraded dish for free. The contract issue is how I got a free antenna......

When I upgraded to the HD package, they tried to put me on a 1 year contract(Ive already been a customer for 5 years). I told them it isnt a problem, but only if they paid my the Antenna.

I mean c'mon.......how can it be a valid contract if both parties dont receive something in return, right? I went to Circuit City, bought the antenna, and phoned the $$ to Direct TV and they promptly credited my next months bill for that amound with no questions asked. I wont hesitate to demand they give me something in return if they want to extend my 'so-called' contract.......that's for sure. Whether it be free programming, hardware....doesnt matter. They're gonna have to give me something..."laugh"

Post Number: 7
cool...I'll give it a try w/ the antenna....are there any concerns w/ using an indoor antenna vs outdoor? I read in here that someone's Sony manual said DO NOT use an indoor antenna??

as far as DTV ......I called them a while back & they said $45 for the new dish & a guy to come out & install the 3-LNB for HD....

Anonymous

Several years back (when no one cared about antennas) and I had just bought my first hi def tv, I went into Radio Shack and they were basically dumping old antennas. They apparently assumed no one really needs these anymore. I picked up for $1.99 a combo settop VHF/UHF (rabbit ears/mini dish) each with separate coax lead-ins

I then hooked the UHF up, pointed it in the right direction near a window, and enjoyed great OTA hi def all that winter on this cheap antenna.

Lesson is: start cheap and work up

Post Number: 8
well the verdict is the TERK http://www.terk.com/HDTVi.html

didn't pick up **** in my area of northern CA> I live near a big mountain obstruction, so I think I really need a long range 80-100 mile antenna...on to the next step up!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
I misquoted on the price of the little indoor terk. I think it was only $39.00.

A funny sidenote....When asking the sales guy at Circuit City which was their best small indoor antenna, he responded with....."duh, I dunno"....

I asked for advice from the supervisor at the returns desk, and he was like....."no question about it, get the terk.".......LOL

He said that model 'stays' sold far better than the other models. Hopefully the mountains dont mess it up for you.

Thats how I came up with my 'word on the street'......heh

Post Number: 10
yeah, we don't really have any major mountains (ROCKY MTNS etc) but one fairly big obstruction/mountain that blocks us from the towers....the Terk looked cool , but tuned in on about 7 fuzzy regular (no HD) channels just like the quality when I was about 7 w/ rabbit ears in Mom's family room!

Bronze Member
Username: Videobruce

Buffalo , NY

Post Number: 19
A outdoor CM 4228a UHF antenna can be had for around $50.

You can't beat direct ATSC OTA for image quality!!

MM
Unregistered guest
Hi All
I have a JVC TV and I want to use an Indoor Antenna to catch some locals in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin...Pls recommend which one to get n how to tune(does the TV Tuner have to be some specific setting?) coz I havent had good luck with the ones I got till now

Docspidey
Unregistered guest
Hi all,

I could use some advice here...I live in a valley ~55 miles from Buffalo AND Rochester, so I'm basically screwed when it comes to OTA Antenna. We can't pick up anything, hell, I only get 2 FM radio stations clearly. Seems the locals from Buffalo have a stranglehold on broadcast rights, and have decided to no longer grant the waiver to get the NY HD broadcasts over the sat. (except Fox, I love Fox now!). Any other ideas how to skirt this issue, or am I just SOL until local HD Buffalo gets added to sat broadcasts? I'm praying that Buffalo is in the supposed 2005 150 market upgrades....

Bronze Member
Username: Thehitch

Fla.

Post Number: 27
You came to the right place, with a lot of reading you will come to the same conclusion I did. I live in an area so rural theres no cable tv and ota tv would cost a fortune considering nearest broadcast is 57mi. away and I`m surrounded by trees. I do have a small window that enables me to see sats 110 & 119. I plan to take advantage of that soon as I can afford to.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us