Grainy picture on my new DLP

Username: Mmagnus

Post Number: 2
Greetings all,

The text below is pasted from my original message in a thread about the Toshiba 5970 dvd player. Since the issue now isn't the player I've decided to start a new topic here. I've inserted the old message to get everyone up to speed on my issue --

<<<<old>>>>
Answer me this then: I just bought a brand new Toshiba 52HMX84 and have the 5970 hooked up to it (through the HDMI cable that came with it) and the picture is absolutely horrible. How can this be? I'm seeing so much graininess in the picture that I actually thought the tv was bad. Then I took the same movie (Spiderman) to BB and had them hook up the same dvd player to one of their Tosh 52s and saw the same crap. I honestly don't think the tv is bad and that it must be the dvd player/cables. Any help on how to clean up this picture would be greatly appreciated.
<<<<<end>>>>

Okay, so my original thought was that it was the dvd player/cables/etc. but I was wrong... Last night I bought a Denon 2910, Audioqest:Cinemaquest HDMI cables, and a Monster surge protector/power filter... all to test out my tv's quality (as I've begun to doubt it). After skimming the manual of the 2910 I hooked it up to my set and crossed my fingers. I couldn't believe it. The picture was still grainy. I tried 720p and 1080i to no avail. I even tried the 480p, zilch. Still grainy. I'm at a loss now and think my only option is to return the television unless anyone out there has any other ideas as to why the picture is grainy. Let me include that I've only tested the dvd quality and not HD (I did see the 1080i signal loop they broadcast in BB on all their sets and it looks great). I don't have cable and just want to watch movies (for now)... and want them to look good!

So, are there any new Toshiba DLP owners out there that have any tips on making the picture as great as what I've read it should be? Is there something I'm missing here?

Thanks in advance
-Tosh52

Username: Upatoi15

Post Number: 3
I have a samsung DLP, dont know if this helps, but I dont have a grainy picture with my denon 1910. I have it hooked up via DVI/HDMI.

Username: Alalk3

Freedom, NH USA

Post Number: 4
I have become convinced that it is all about compatibility. I have a Toshiba 5970. It plays beautifully, great PQ. When I first hooked up pic was grainy and horrible. Then I calibrated. It stays in 1080. It accepts all DVD's. Everything works. It is also hooked up to a Toshiba 34HF84 direct view HD ready CRT model. My Tosh TV has an HDMI input so it is hooked HDMI to HDMI. In reading these threads I've noticed that a lot of folks hooked up HDMI to DVI and DVI to HDMI are having problems w/all sorts of players. Not all of them, but a lot. I may be wrong, but if it were me I'd make sure that I was going HDMI to HDMI or DVI to DVI. I'd also look at threads and see who w/dlp seems to have good luck with what type of player

SufferingSamsung
Unregistered guest
I have a Samsung TV (LN-R328W) and a Samsung DVD (DVD-HD845). For a few weeks I watched with just regular cables and the picture looked great. Then I purchased a Monster 400 HDMI cable to see if the picture quality would improve. I now how a awful grainy picture. Both products have video settings set to HDMI. How can this be

Anonymous

If you want great results the first time, buy quality stuff, Toshiba? Samsung? Try stepping it up to something worth a crap.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us