4:3 or 16:9 help?

adfasdf
Unregistered guest
what is the difference. Obviously they are the same ratio.
Also i have a widescreen tv and when i watch dvds some have black bars at top and some dont. Why is that. (All dvds i use are in widescreen format)

needmath
Unregistered guest
"what is the difference. Obviously they are the same ratio."

since seeing is believing, draw two boxes on a piece of paper using the two different ratios and you will see the difference

arrow224
Unregistered guest
Quote by adfasdf:

"Also i have a widescreen tv and when i watch dvds some have black bars at top and some dont. Why is that. (All dvds i use are in widescreen format)"

Some DVDs are presented in 1.25:1, others in 2.35:1. This is what causes bars on a WS TV. People, please feel free to correct me.

Still Learning
Unregistered guest
Some are actually presented in 1.85:1 format and fit your new widescreen tv perfectly. I hope this becomes the standard. The 2.35:1 format is for theater projection, not widescreen tv's. Yea, I know, it says "Widescreen Version" on the box. I wish the DVD makers would provide a 1.85:1 version of every movie. I don't know what the hell is wrong with them. You would think by now that they would.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Movie aspect ratios are either 1:33 to 1, 1:78 to 1, 1:85 to 1 or 2:35 to 1. The first is what a 4:3 ratio screen will display. The 2nd two display fine on a widescreen (16:9 ratio) TV with no bars due to a bit of intentional overscan on your display. In order to display all the information on the latter the black bars become visible.

Also a few movies were made in 2:55 to 1 and even a few in 2:76 to 1. Some countries produce movies in 1:33 to 1, 1:77 to 1 or 1:66 to 1 in Europe. There is no completely accurate answer.

xvxvxvx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us