480p native vs 1080i native?

Username: Billscrazy

Post Number: 1
I am looking at several direct view 4:3 hdtvs and have noticed some say they have a NATIVE resolution of 480p while others say NATIVE 1080i, which is better and why? Also those same tvs say vert scan lines 800 while others say 1080 and some even more whats up with that? Thanks for anyones help. Bill

RobW
Unregistered guest
Try thinking of it like your computer screen resolution. More means more lines drawn to give greater detail. (check it yourself -change the resolution between 640x*480*, 800x*600*, 1024x*768*, 1280x*1024*- we'll wait)

The i means "interlaced" (drawing every other line 60 times a second = 30 complete pictures a second and p means "progressive" (drawing every line 60 times a second = 60 complete pictures a second.

Native resolution is what the TV will probably look best at because it will have to convert the picture to show other resolutions.

(personally I think it's a bad time to be shopping for 4:3 TV's, unless you are planning on buying again when all broadcasts go to the 16:9 HD standard in 3-5 years, or your won't mind watching a letterbox or "adjusted to fit your screen" signal.)

Did I get that right umr?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us