Sammy DLP DVD aspect ratio problem

Anonymous

Some 1:85 DVD's on my Samsung DLP show the wrong aspect ratio, so that the 1:33 image is squashed to fit inside the 16:9 screen. The only way to view them in their proper proportions is to set the Samsung to 4:3, which leaves the image in a black box. Question - Is this a problem that all people are experiencing with their 1:85 DVD's on Samsung DLP's? Is there a solution? Could it be related to my DVD player (SONY DVPNS975V)? If you do not have this problem, what player are you using (for my set up it must have HDMI output)? Thanks for any input.

Still Learning
Unregistered guest
Your post is a little confusing. I have a Samsung DLP. The true 1.85:1 movies will fill the screen if you go into the DVD's menu and set the DVD player to display 16x9. Obviously, your tv must be set to 16x9. As for a 1.33:1 movie, there will always be black bars top and bottom. It doesn't matter what input is used. Maybe some day the movie makers will get their standards straight. Don't hold your breath, though.

Anonymous

When I said 1:33 image, I was including the letterboxing on the 1:85 film that I am viewing. Instead filling the screen, the image of a 1:85 is squashed to include the black bars on the 16:9 screen. The DVD player is set to 16:9 as is the TV. Do you have a Samsung? Thanks for the comments.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us