Stain-like shadow pattern in the screen of my DLP TV

Username: Edward_tian

Post Number: 2
I found some stain-like shadow pattern in the screen of my DLP TV when there is a white background picture showing. If the picture is dark, then I can not see it.

The repairman said it is because there is some air left between layers of the screen material.

Dos anybody else see the same thing ? Is is normal ?

Post Reader
Unregistered guest
I found some postings on your issue. One says something about new screen kits.

Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 03:15 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello we are on our 4th thats right 4th 50" DLP due to clear stains in the screen is this normal and if so does it eventually go away?

Jim Lundquist
Username: Rocker43

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 08:30 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a HLP5063, and the tech came out new year's eve to replace our "high pitched humming" color wheel, and, after he did it was quiet as can be, but the picture looked like a photograph negative, with a greenish purple cast to it....unwatchable! He thought he got a bad color wheel from samsung, so he decided to put the old one back in, and he would get another one from samsung. Well, nothing changed when he put the old one back in....picture still looks like a negative. He didn't know what it was, so he said he's have to call samsung monday and see what they say. Thinks maybe it's the projection unit.......like it had a loose connection on the board and moving things did it in or????? All I know is we don't have a watchable TV right now. Anyone have a clue as to what might have happened? Also, today I noticed the "clear stains" on the screen that a prevoius poster had mentioned. Needless to say, Samsung will be hearing from me tomorrow.....but good. Very frustrating.

Bob T
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 11:00 am:

I have an HL5063W that is 2 weeks old. The stain that I think you are referring to looks like a smudge running vertically down the center of the screen. I have tried wiping, but the instructions say to put nothing on the screen, so I haven't used anything but a dry cloth. I'll be interested to see if this is a real problem. I don't notice any picture degradation.

Klaus
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 04:38 pm:

There are a couple of other posts here about smudges on the screen, even on other makes. What I found works on my 4674 is lighly wiping with a damp paper towel and the drying with a new clean paper towel. They vanish immediately. and are gone for 2 weeks or so. Then you need to re-do. Basically the same as dusting your CRT, but if you read some of the threads you would think it was the end of the world!

Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 10:46 am:

Im going to CC today and demand they replace my HLP5063W. Delivered the last week in July 04, middle of Oct the entire ballast & light engine was replaced. Now the TV has smudges under the screen, another well documented issue. And the TV keeps turning off after it's been on for a couple hours. Although it's starts up again after a few mins, it shuts down again 10 minutes later.
This is totally unacceptable for a TV that cost 3 grand..... I'm losing it over this. I'll try one more HLP, if that fails I'll get the 50" LCD RP.
DAMN if I dont love the picture on that SAMMY though.

Does anyone have issues w/ the 50" tv upon start up ... specifically that on the sides of the viewing surface "wet like" images appear until the tv has been on for an extended period?

johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 09:38 am:

Yes Sir Steve, it's a well documented topic. Not sure what to do about it either. I have them my friend has them, his are bigger than mine. He exchanged his set twice and both have the smudges until it's been on for about an hour. It's annoying to us all, but I love the TV. Maybe I could have retured mine in the beginning and went with another brand, but I just dont have the room for the other 50" cabinets. Why all other MFR's 50" cabinets are 8-12" wider is beyond me.

Mr. Lynch
Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle , WA

Post Number: 393
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 04:05 pm:

Johnnytv-

The screen problem you guys are talking abot is quite common between all brands. One fix I've read that has work for some people was to remove the front cover and carefully clean the inside on the protective screen and use an anti-static spray or wipe. A lot of times the 2 inner layers stick together due to a static charge and/or a slight warp in the plastic cover.

Klaus
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 04:19 pm:

I have a 46 " 74w series Samsung with the screen smudge issue. I have found that a damp clean paper towel rubbed gently across the sreen followed by a dry clean towel gently until dry will remove the marks immediately and the first time they reappeared after 2 weeks, this time they have not appeared yet 3 weeks and counting. I do not think it is really a serious issue and no worse than the periodic dusting needed by crts.

johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 04:54 pm:

I see what your saying Mr Lynch, I should have been more specific. Those you list were not on my list of desire Tv's
I went for the SAMMY obviously.
Others were
Sony 50" KDF-50WE655 54-3/16 wide
Toshiba 52" 52HMX84 58-1/4 wide
Wasn't aware of the JVC when I made my purchase.
That is a nice set though. I thank god I have never had sync issues on the Sammy and my HT.
The smudges annoy me, not enough to open the front and try to do anything. I'll try what Klaus suggested though. Remember when watching TV was simple.. My wife told me, that my TV is like having a part time job. ha ha ha

Jim Lundquist
Bronze Member
Username: Rocker43

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 11:16 pm:

The screen problems you people are talking about is the screen separating. The tech that was at my house yesterday fixing something else on my 50" samsung that is going back said he has 2 "screen kits" on order for the same problem. If you push on them with your knuckle you'll probably see them go away for a second, and come back. It is an air gap or moisture, is what he told. It sure as hell shouldn't be there.

George Bush
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 05:38 pm:

I also have the smudge issue on my 5085. This is the second unit I recieved from BB. I am still within my 30 days, so should I get another one or look for a different brand? Samsung was well aware of the problem when I called them; however, they haven't set a date to fix the problem. Thanks for the help.

Username: Edward_tian

Post Number: 3
Thanks for all the above posts.

I forgot to mention that my model is Samsung HLP5063w.

The repairman said he will replace a screen for me later.

Klaus
Unregistered guest
All:
See this issue at the following link: http://erms.samsungusa.com/customer/sea/jsp/faqs/faqs_view.jsp?PG_ID=3&AT_ID=171 46&PROD_SUB_ID=41&PROD_ID=153

I suspect the issue is similar for non-Samsung sets.

Mark Awesome
Unregistered guest
I'm having the screen replaced on mine also because of those smudges. I have the HLP4663W. Hopefully a new screen will do the trick.

Mark Awesome
Unregistered guest
I'm having the screen replaced on mine also because of those smudges. I have the HLP4663W. Hopefully a new screen will do the trick.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us