Antenna for OTA HD

hdwannabe
Unregistered guest
I'm looking to purchase an antenna for OTA HD. Can anybody recommend some good models that aren't too expensive (<$100). I'd prefer to mount it in my attic. I live in the San Jose CA area.

Still Learning
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 10:15 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any Radio Shack UHF antenna will work nicely! Especially if it's up high. Mine's in the attic hanging on a rafter. The digital UHF off-air network signal is much better than the old VHF signal in picture quality. (about twice the lines off resolution, never any snow or hash lines) When the digital signal is weak the sound cuts out or the picture fragments or both. This happens to anyone using an indoor HD antenna. I equate them to rabbit ears with that little loop for UHF. They didn't work that well in the past and they don't now. I use an old multi-element VHF/UHF antenna from Radio Shack and it's hanging from a rafter in my attic. I use standard 75 ohm RG-6 coax and no amplifier. My digital off-air network signals are crystal clear and solid. I live 28 miles from the Cedar Hill tower garden east of Dallas, TX. in a low creek bottom area. My 50 inch boom antenna cost me $39.99 and is on the bottom right of the page at the following link. I think the smaller UHF antenna to it's right will work just as well. Hope this helps!

http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG% 5F003%5F001%5F002%5F000&Page=1

madmarty
Unregistered guest
I bought a great antenna from Circuit City. It's called the Terk 55. You can mount it in an attic or outside. I mounted mine outside and I get all the HD channels clear as a bell. It cost me $75 but was well worth it. It looks like a long tube. Do a google search and you will see what it looks like.

Anonymous

my record for cheapness is $1.99 for some rabbit ears VHF/UHF combo i purchased from radio shack several yrs back for my first HDTv

Note for a time before hi def got going, people believed antennas were basically useless, and this explains why Radio Shack was dumping these antennas
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us