Archive through December 14, 2004

Username: Gibumee

Post Number: 2
Hi,

I posted earlier on this topic but was wondering if you guys were experiencing the same issues. My 5085 seems to have a greenish tint to most of the signals. Is this a common problem? Please let me know.

Regards,

almostBroke
Unregistered guest
Has anybody here had to have their color wheel replaced without a manufacturer warranty? I bought my HLM507W about 18 months ago and just recently it started making the high pitched sound described above. Then just tonight I got the 3 blinking lights.

I have a call in to the local service company but I have a bad feeling that their going charge an arm and a leg without a warranty.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 201
http://wa6ati.com/Samsung.html

When my friends HLP4663 was "fixed", this was the Tech showed us. The HLP models are not listed, so the part number might be different. We didn't notice until after he had left, but I do remember him talking about similar parts in all the Samsungs.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 202
Almostbroke-

When they replaced the light engine in my friends HLP4663 the receipt that was given listed the parts/labor at just under $1300. It was under warranty so it was all covered, but that is more than 1/3 of the TV cost.

SSGENESIS
Unregistered guest
I am a TV tech and can tell you that ALL 100% digital tv (LCD,Plasma,LCD Projection,DLP,DILA) has audio/video sync problems, all of this in the market, up to now, convert to 720p (to be 1080 resolution it must have 1080 pixels vertical e.g. 720, 765, etc are 720p)Now what is the DLP advantage, 1st No convergence adjustment (no CRTs, no multiple scereens or chips) 2nd No burning image (plasma,CRTs) 3rd No degrating screens (LCD Proj. are photo sensitive and degrade with time, about 1500 to 2000 hrs of use) and finaly ALL electronics products can fail if not the manufacturers will give 10 or 20 years warranty and every one in every diferent technology gives ONE year only, plus plasma and LCD proj. have way more issues than DLP. One more thing out of all the brands of DLP tvs Samsung was the first one to use the Texas Instruments Digital Light Projection chip to make a TV set and they still have the very best quality in the market.
P.D. In a normal operation (no brake downs of any kind) the DLP chip (the screen) has an estimated life span of 30 years, Plasma panels and LCD proj. only 5 years!

tnbubba
Unregistered guest
ssgenesis, what is or can be done to fix the sync problem if one has it. seems like that would drive you nuts. why have they put a product out that would have this problem. doesn't seem right to spend $4000.00 and have such a problem. thanks

Unregistered guest
I would never recommend that anyone buy a Samsung projection TV. I have had two, first was PCK 520 and then made the mistake in getting the HLP6163. They both were crap from a crap corporation. I have a Sony now and will never buy another samsung product again. You think the price is right during the purchase but it's worth spending the extra money on a product that will last. Guess you get what you pay for with Samsung!

electronicdummy
Unregistered guest
I was so fed up with my SamSung DLP TV that after enough complaining they are finally replacing it. I have major audio/video sync issues. I've had it serviced two times, parts replaced, etc., to no avail. It was a struggle, but SamSung is giving me a new TV. I think it's the 5063. Should that be better? Now I notice that the side margins of my TV picture is distorted. It almost looks like a "sphere." Anyone know what that's all about? That's the best way I can describe it. I'm hoping the next one will be better.

SSGENESIS
Unregistered guest
The sync issue is resolved with two parts they come together in this part # 43-50lipsynckit if your set is a HLN5065W or HLN4365W. This are upgrades of the Digital and anolog video/audio boards. If you are still under warranty it will be covered. And for the the ones who think Samsung is "crap" and Sony is great here is some info. About 80% of LCD Projection from Sony's line of KF##WS610 were defective . A lamp issue plage this sets and Sony give out several fixes till the point when they realized the lamps they were useing were inadecuate for the system on this sets. This translates on people waiting MONTHS to have this problems solved. Now the new problem is that all this sets are all ready crossing the 1200 hrs mark and many are showing LCD panels with degrdation (areas on the screen with decoloration and shadows) Sony's warranty like any other manufacturer now is only one year and in order to fix this problem the "Light Engine" must be change $1400.00 for the part only. Think about this plus the fact that a very large precentege of Sony products are made by Samsung like DVD/VCR combos that are 100% Samsung in a Sony shell, and this IS a fact no a personal experience or preferance.

northof49th
Unregistered guest
I have an HLP5063W and I have noticed that there is a horizon deflection about 1/4 inch at the center for vertical lines on the right half of the screen(same symptom as electronic dummy post above,distorted side margins). The service person agreed that the vertical distortion was present. Three weeks later the service person, after talking to samsung, says he wants to take my unit into the shop for troubleshooting. I do not feel comfortable about where this story is going to led but does anyone have any advice or information on this issue.

Ryan_In_KC
Unregistered guest
SSGENESIS, does the fix to the sync issue also apply to the Samsung HLP4663W's? Or is there not a fix for this yet? By the way, I appreciate all the info, it's good to see an actual technician on here.

SSGENESIS
Unregistered guest
Ryan_In_KC in your case you don't need parts (in a normal situation) it's a setting on the service menu. I'll give the info but be sure to change ONLY what I say and do not touch any other thing (all the TV settings are there)While the TV is in
the stand-by mode, enter the Service Mode.
Press the following buttons on the remote control:

MUTE + 1 + 8 + 2 + POWER

Select and enter the OPTION service mode.
Set item SoundDelay_OnOff to the ON position.
Select and set the SoundDelay item to Delay 3.
Confirm the audio and video are in sync.
Exit Service Mode by pressing the
POWER button on the remote
control. The TV will turn off. Be sure to let the unit complete the OFF secuence all the way (when fan is turns off)before you turn the unit on again or the unit will never get out the service mode. This fix also works on the models finishing 1X like HLN5065W1X/XAA. Remember you can do great damage to your TV set in this menu don't experiment with any other options. Let me know how it goes. Good luck!

tnbubba
Unregistered guest
ssgenesis, just curious, i'm looking real hard at the new toshiba 62hm94. if problems occur can you help to solve them too? thanks

Unregistered guest
SSGENESIS - I have an HLP5063WX/XAC. The sequence of numbers you so kindly provided doesn't seem to bring up the service mode. I do see that my model number does not end in 1X so I'm wondering if you know the code for my model type. I have a very slight synching issue and wonder if this might fix it. Other than that - I LOOOOOOOOVE my Sammy!

I did notice that before I bought a Samsung Progressive Scan DVI DVD player, I had brutal synching problems - it's now mostly fixed but I'd like to see if I can tweak it some more.

Cheers

John

Ryan_In_KC
Unregistered guest
SSGENESIS, That did work for most of the channels. I still notice the audio/synch issue on a few channels, but I don't usually watch those. Thanks for the help!

Username: Ajt011

Post Number: 3
What kind of color wheel noise are people hearing? I hear, when the sound is off or very low, a high pitch sound (same one you get with CRT tv's) - is this normal? Please advise.

SSGENESIS
Unregistered guest
Ryan_In_KC I'm glad it worked, for the rest of the channels if you have cable (is less noticible almost not present in Directv) or Dish network you will still experience the issue now and then, this is a Transmition sync problem not your tv set. ad ja, the noise, the way you describe it is normal, the color weel spins at 9000rpm so by phys'ics it will make a sound. johnny2canoe, in your case your unit must have the parts replaced, sorry, but you are right any HD format 480P (progressive scan), 720P and 1080I the problem is not present, this is because this is the natural (Native) scanning mode of the tv, remember all DLP are HD systems that are NTSC compatible not the other way around.

Anonymous

I just bought an HLP5063W at Circuit City for $2700 (was $3000 at Best Buy and $3200 at SoundTrack) and got the 4-year CC in-home service agreement.

Right out of the box, it had a problem that I haven't been able to find on these boards. The speakers occasionally and intermittently just start issuing loud static noise. The volume of the noise is independent of the volume setting, except that it does decrease (but still there!) when volume is set at 0 and/or mute is on. The audio is completely lost when this happens. It seems to be independent of signal source.

My question is, is this something I should take up with Samsung directly, under warranty, or would I be better off talking to Circuit City (their program is not strictly an extended warranty as it starts immediately)?

moxie
Unregistered guest
Re: HLP4674W

We have been reading a lot about the HLP4674W - no local stores carry it so we haven't been able to see it "live". Our room can't be darkened in the daytime, so DLPs seem like the right choice. From what we have read, Samsung is a good choice for a DLP. The most important thing about this particular model is it's size - a 46 inch diagonal that's only 40.6 wide. Haven't found another manufacturer that offers those dimensions (our built-in recessed space in the wall in only 41 inches wide).

Anyone out there have any experience with this model or heard anything about it that we should be concerned about? Never knew about the A/V sync problem with any brands/models till we found this forum; I suppose that the problem will occur on this model as well? Incidentally, we have read that LG manufactures DLP color wheels that use air versus ball bearings - I wonder if the ball bearings are producing the whine?

Any info you can pass along will certainly be appreciated.

Thank you all.

Tinker
Unregistered guest
Anonymous - about the noisy speakers, I'm no tekkie, but could your set be plugged into a noisy electrical circuit, for example, the same circuit that an appliance or heater or something like that is using, or maybe a noisy power strip? I just mention it because a cheapo power strip caused us a similar problem on our audio system when we first got it. Good luck.

Strati
Unregistered guest
You should deal with Circuit City; especially since you bought a 4 year IN-HOME Agreement!
Manufacturers are almost always useless in dealing with the public. All they will do is try to diagnose your problem.
Call CC and let them know about the problem you're having. They'll probably send out someone to check it out. If it needs servicing, demand that you get another one. Don't settle for them to repair it. I'm assuming you're within your 30 days of purchase, right?

JDS
Unregistered guest
Just bought the Samsung 5085. Am I basically stuck watching stretched screen on normal channels if I want it in widescreen? I read above that 16:9 is the format for HD. Anyone have any tricks to make the picture look better? there are several options, I just hate strecthed people. Thanks.

Gunny
Unregistered guest
DS - not sure what you're asking. If you have a widescreen source there should be no stretching when you watch it in widescreen. When you're watching a regular standard definition source, to avoid stretching you should set the TV for 4:3 picture size. It should remember the picture size settings by input source.

Username: Highbay

Post Number: 1
I plan to purchase a 50" +/- rear projection TV and am a complete novice. I will use the TV to watch DVD's and Direct TV.I will probably add Direct TV HD.I was going to buy a Samsung DLP but after reading some of the posts on here I am unsure. I would appreciate any advice/recommendations from those with more knowledge than I have.

Gunny
Unregistered guest
Louis,
You can't really judge the rate of defects of a model or brand from the number of posts, unfortunately. Brands that sell more units, like Samsung, will of course have more people reporting problems, all else being equal. Also, keep in mind that the people who have no problems with their sets tend not to post much - they're busy enjoying their TV! The boards are a good way to find out the kinds of problems, but not the rate - I don't know how to do that except find an unbiased industry representative who is willing to talk.

idunno
Unregistered guest
Is there a tolerance or a vertical viewing angle we should be concerned about with a 44 inch or 46 inch DLP set? Due to existing placement limitations, and allowing for a 30-inch overall set height, the tallest stand we can use is 12 inches high. We can easily make a stand/shelf of that height, but we just realized that most of the stands sold with DLP etc sets are about 20 inches above the floor height. Will the 8 inch difference matter with a DLP? Viewing distance will be between 10 and 15 feet. Is LCD or plasma a better choice - even if the room is always bright in the daytime from many windows on the wall opposite the set? Thanks.

Username: Wpd332

Washington, NC USA

I have the HLN-437W, and use a DVI cable from the HD cable box (Scientific Atlanta) to the TV. When I switch to DVD and then back to cable, I get white fuzz. I have to unplug the DVI cable and plug it back in for the picture to come back. Samsung said I just have to deal with it as it's just an inherent problem with using the DVI input. Anyone else having the same problem? Other than that - awesome TV!

Andrew Morris
Unregistered guest
Louis,
I found many similar postings regarding Samsung TVs before I purchased mine, but found similar postings regarding other TV brands as well...covering everything from image quality, to user-friendliness, to more serious faults. If your a novice at buying new age televisions (as I was) I would focus first and foremost on what capabilities you want from your television (digital input, size, number/type of connections, PC compatability, etc.). I choose the Samsung DLP TV (HLN617W) because, at the time, it was one of the only TVs to have a PC-compatible input. It also (after spending countless hours staring at TVs) had one of the best images. I can now sit on the comfort of my couch with a wireless keyboard and mouse and enjoy my PC on a 1280X720 desktop - picture perfect image.

Also, being that DLP TVs are a relatively new technology, I went ahead and bought a service plan from Circuit City for two reasons - one, their policy includes a "lemon" clause that if they have to come to your house to fix anything three times they will simple replace the TV with a brand new one; second, their policy covers the cost of replacement parts, namely the bulb/ballast. The policy was the price of one bulb (~$300) so I figured, what the hell, if a bulb blows, I'm even.

Perhaps dealers near you will have similar policies or plans that can give you some piece of mind before spending $4500 on an relatively unmature technology like DLP, LCD projection, or plasma.

Hope that helps.

Username: Yhan

Hey guys...

I just ordered a Samsung HLP4674W over the weekend. It should arrive in a week or so. I am very excited. I like the picture quality of the HLP xx85 and HLP xx74 series. I didn't like the built in stand of the 85 series so I opted with the 4674W. I have a relative working with SamSung so I got a really great price. (I won't mention the price) I've found a lot of interesting information here. I'll keep you guys updated when I get my HDTV.

Robbie
Unregistered guest
Here's a note from the silent group who just loves the Samsung DLP technology. I have a HLN5065W and experience some of the difficulties with audio-video sync, but it doesn't annoy me enough to cry wolf. I am puzzled though as to why I do not experience the problem uniformly. e.g. some DVD's play with more video lag than others. And some have no lag. I've noticed some lag on PBS HD but not on regular channels. I'm about to experiment with some of the suggestions in this thread.

Hey Jonathan, what model SciAtl box do you use? Acording to SciAtl's web site the dvi connector on my box is for future use so I didn't even try it. Maybe this IS the future... I use a 4200HD cable box.

Username: Craigclc

I bought a HLP5063W and am experiencing a lot of Red pixels at times. It looks like snow. I am using a DVI cable from my Comcast (Motorola) HD Box. I can turn the TV off and it goes away for awhile. Anybody experience this? Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Stuermer

IL

Post Number: 21
craig:

i have not heard of that red pixel problem. but when push comes to shove, i always blame the leased equipment first. call comcast and get the unit replaced, see if this fixes the problem.

also make sure you have the comcast box set to 1080i. you may want to look at DLoy's post for correct settings (and a couple other around it)earlier in this thread at: https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=153665#POST153665

I also posted the directions to get to the comcast settings here https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=154435#POST154435

Washington, NC USA

To Robbie - I'm using the Sci. Atl. Explorer 3250HD. If the DVI port is reserved for future use, will it still work but only as good as the component video jack, or would it not work at all if it isn't supposed to work yet? (I confuse you?!?)

To Craig - I had the red snow problem a while back, but haven't seen it at all lately. I had no idea what it was. Best I can remember, it only happened on tv shows (didn't matter if it was HD programming or not) and not while watching DVDs, so I was thinking it was something witht he feed from the cable company. It's been several months (knock on wood) since it's happened, so I guess everything has gotten worked out.

2 new questions to everyone out there - Anyone have problems with the signal on the INHD2 channel? Mine breaks up every 5 seconds or so, with just a jump of the picture and losing the audio for a split second. Kinda aggravating. Doesn't happen on any other channels, but happens all the time on INHD2 (INHD1 is just fine).

Second question - has anyone had to replace the color wheel yet due to it wearing out, not due to it breaking/messing up? How much was a new one, and how many hours did you have on it before it wore out? Thanks to everyone for their help, and sorry for the book I just wrote!

Canuck 1
Unregistered guest
Hey guys, i just bought HLN4365W1X/XAC - what is newer, HLN or HLP and what is the differance. Thanks SSGENISIS for the postings - I will try the codes you provided for the sync issue.

Washington, NC USA

HLP is newer than HLN. The HLN437W is slightly newer than the 4365W. As for the 1X/XAC, I'm not familiar with that. Was the 4365 on closeout? I've had my 437 for a year now, and figured the 4365's were all gone by now.

Karl in Ky
Unregistered guest
I have been looking for a new TV for a few weeks. Sams club has the HLN5065WX for $2,499.77. I would perhaps like one a little bigger, and they carry the RCA HD61LPW42 for $2,999.77 + $200.00 s&h. Are these really good prices or is there a catch? As a service tech myself (data and telecommunications) I always considered the extended warranty a sucker bet. After researching DLP TV's I think I will consider buying one. And yes, we do have TV in Kentucky.

johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
Hey Karl in KY... Glad to hear TV has made it's way to KY... lol
I'd be careful buying discontinued models, but thats just me.. I know two people who have bought and returned RCA DLP's. The picture was blah, looked more like RPTV than DLP... I have the Sammy HLP5063W. Crutchfield has this on sale for $2999.99 + 19.99 for shipping... And no sales tax.
I love my sammy DLP, the only other DLP I'd consider is a Toshiba. just my 2 cents

Arnold V
Unregistered guest
I purchased my HLP5063W at Good Guys. Unfortunately, they're not good at helping me and I'm getting ready to return it.
The problem is that when I watch widescreen DVD's, the DVD starts out in full screen. But when the actual movie starts, the picture shrinks to about a third of the screen. The Sony progressive scan DVD is connected to Component 1, so the only wide screen selections that I have on the Samsung are either wide or standard. This is driving me crazy. Thanks for any help.

Arnold V
Unregistered guest
I purchased my HLP5063W at Good Guys. Unfortunately, they're not good at helping me and I'm getting ready to return it.
The problem is that when I watch widescreen DVD's, the DVD starts out in full screen. But when the actual movie starts, the picture shrinks to about a third of the screen. The Sony progressive scan DVD is connected to Component 1, so the only wide screen selections that I have on the Samsung are either wide or standard. This is driving me crazy. Thanks for any help.

Anonymous

Arnold V,
I had the same problem until I changed the display settings on my DVD player from 4:3 to 16:9. Also on many widescreen DVD's the menu is 16:9 but the movie is even wider so you still end up with bars on the top and bottom.

Robbie
Unregistered guest
To: Jonathan Kuhn. On the SA Explorer 4200HD, DVI is active and functional. It does disable component outputs when plug in the DVI cable. Stretch & zoom also function. Since I moved the DVI cable to the cable box, I can't switch from DVD to see if I get any fuzz. I tried switching from a couple of other inputs (antenna, vcr) to the DVI with no ill effects tho. I have the resolution set to 720p to match the Sammy, but saw a post by dloy suggesting the Sammy's converters may be better than the cable box's. If this is so, I will set the cable box to 1080i and let the Sammy to the work. Now I need to find a DVI switch so I can add the DVD back in.

By the way, I've had the Sammy 10 months and have not experienced any 3 light kiss of death problems.

Washington, NC USA

Post Number: 4
To Robbie - Can you try plugging your DVD player in via component cables, then switching from cable w/ DVI to DVD and then back to cable and see if you get snow. Does your Sammy have two DVI inputs on the back? If not, how will you plug DVD and cable in with DVI? I also wonder if the picture would be any better on newer issue cable boxes.

Thanks for all the input. I'm enjoying this forum.

Canuck 2
Unregistered guest
To Jonathon - the HLN 4365 was purchased last week at Costco in Canada. This must be the dumping ground for old models, after Kentucky...
They have a great return policy at Costco, and all you guys are scareing the hell out of me, so I think I may return it after Xmas , before the 3 lights pay me a visit. By the way it was $2,700. Canadian - about 2,000 US. I like the DLP, but I have seen the Audio/video delay, and the noise of the fan. Also, picture is bad on basic cable. Does the picture look great on High Definition Channels - Kentucky guy need not reply... LOL

Washington, NC USA

Post Number: 5
Canuck 2 - the brand new 46" Samsung DLP is $2565 online from Circuit City w/ free shipping. I didn't see any 43" Sammy sets at CC or Best Buy. I'd definitely take the 43" back and do a little more looking! I'm with Cox Cable, and HD programming is wonderful. Every now and then I get the video delay, but not much. Even non-HD shows on digital channels are much clearer than on the analog sister station. You'll love the HD channels. Keep us updated on what you do.

Ryan_In_KC
Unregistered guest
Canuck2, I'm with Jonathan on this. After getting the audio synch issue fixed with what SSGENESIS recommended, the TV is wonderful. HD is spectacular and regular cable channels are still excellent quality. I have everything hooked up through component cables and I'm very pleased with the TV.

Username: Robbie

Monroe, NY USA

I decided to register here, so I have the whole name now.
Jonathan - You might want to check out another thread on DVI, "Home > Message Board > Home Video > TV Basics > Importance of dvi input". There is some good info there. I saw something about snow in DVI connections, but can't remember exactly where it was.
Due to the way the component cables route in my equip rack, they won't reach the DVD. I have not experienced snow when switching inputs. I use a DVI-D cable, Monster variety. Curiously though, when the cable is attached to the cable box and I turn it on, I get a display saying the TV is not HDCP compatible, use component interface, then that drops out and the picture comes up.
There is only 1 DVI input on the TV. One would need to obtain a DVI switch to handle multiple DVI inputs. There is some info on the Importance of dvi input thread here:
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=90270#POST90270

Washington, NC USA

Post Number: 6
Ronald, when switching back to cable from DVD (having to unplug and plug back in the DVI cable from/to the cable box), I get a similar message about not being HDCP comp., but then the picture pops up.

Today I was doing some fiddling with things (I've now learned to leave well enough alone!), and unplugged the DVI and tried plugging in the component cables from cable to TV. When I switched back to Component 2 on the TV, it said there there was no signal. I never could get the component cables to work for me. I tried turning things off and back on, but nothing. ANyone have any idea why the comp. cables wouldn't work? They worked fine up until I bought the DVI cable and started using it. Thanks in advance for the help.

Username: Rbg

Savage, MN USA

I just had a DMD assembly replaced in my HLP4663W to fix an issue where the video would occassionally go out and there would just be audio. Now in darker scenes (including HD) there are round-faded light images dotting the entire screen. They are about 3" in diameter and some overlap. This wasn't there before the TV was fixed. It is most noticeable when scenes fade to black but not as evident when bright pics are on the screen. Has anyone experienced this at all? Thx.

dontgotaname
Unregistered guest
Never had a picture-in-picture TV. Does it work with cable TV? We do not have indoor or outdoor antenna to get "free tv".

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 271
Add a spitter and run a cable to each tuner input. PIP will work fine then.

tp
Unregistered guest
Re: DVI in Canada. I'm in Toronto, have a 4663, and a Rogers (Scientific Atlanta) Explorer 8000 (or whatever the Hi-Def PVR model is). I spoke with Rogers when I got the box a few months ago and again confirmed on Friday that the DVI output is "reserved for future use". Apparently they're still having too many problems with it. He said it does work, but they don't support it (so, effectively, it does NOT work, at least not properly, not yet).
In other news, anyone else have problems with audio dissappearing when changing channels? Sometimes I'll flip to a new channel but get no audio and will have to change channels back and forth a couple of times before it kicks back in. Doesn't happen much, but annoying when it does. Rogers said this was an issue with their box (which I guess is better than an issue with my TV) and they are working on it.
To anyone considering the 4663 - go for it! Had mine for a few months and no 3 lights of death, no problems with lights/pixels/borders/etc., and no significant sync issues (once in a while, but brief and minor, and I just read a post above that seems to offer a solution that I'll try tonight). Pic quality: regular cable is fine, and HD is unbelievable! The slim design is also nice - basically all screen with a base, and no massive box around it or sticking way out the back. Not sure about the new 4674 series - I've read pros and cons, but haven't seen it. Love the 4663 though. Either way, I recommend not waiting for the "perfect" TV with no potential issues, etc., because there will never be one, and will always be something potentially better a few months away, and a few months after that, etc. Just find one you like, get a warranty, cross your fingers to an extent, and enjoy.

Username: Craigclc

Problem with new HLP5063, posted earlier...red pixels all over screen at various times. Tom posted a solution to set my HD cable box at 1080i and let the Samsung down convert to 720P. It worked so far (has been 2 weeks).

Unregistered guest
Bought Samsung PLP5063W and was very happy, for 2 days when the set wouldn't come on at all. NO sound or picture. When turmed on, it just makes a "click" noise and all 3 lights on front flash. Thought I had researched well before choosing set, now after by set breakdown I find this forum. Bestbuy is bringing another set but sounds like I am going to go thru this again. Is there anything I should insist they do now to limit future problems? Thank goodness I bought th 4 yr replacement warranty.

johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
Those three lights of death seem to happen alot, but I bet the number is small overall. Human nature is to post and be heard if thigs are bad, if all is well most remain quiet. I have the same TV as do three of my friends. And none of us had this problem. I had a noisy color wheel, it was fixed a few months ago and perfect ever since.

Bronze Member
Username: Jake_the_dog

Post Number: 23
BETRAYED BY SAMSUNG

Hi all, Back in late August when I got my HLP5085W, I was juiced. The picture I saw at BB was incredible. It looked great on digital movies like Star Wars. To receive an optimal picture I went so far as to buy a new HD841 DVD Player and get a Directv HD Tivo box. My current picture is awful. Everything has a Green Hue and dark scenes look like pastels from a Velvet Painting. Sickening. (I use more colorful words off forum) Last Friday I got a service call from the local Samsung service Co. I need a NEW Main Digital Board and a NEW DLP LIGHT ENGINE!!!!!!!! As if this was not bad enough I got an unrelated call from Samsung Saturday stating they inadvertantly left a Digital Line Filter(?) out of my set. I called Samsung requesting a replacement set and they are refusing to replace the unit and want to take it away for service. What a pile of S***. I am trying to get my BB Service plan to get the unit replaced. At that point I will get the option to choose something other than a Samsung. Nice going Samsung, you took a huge fan and made a bitter enemy. I have never felt so betrayed in my life with a purchase. I trusetd them, they took my money and then Scr**** me. Be ware.... Good Luck to all with your current and future sets. I hope this is an anomoly but I had to speak out. Happy Holidays.

Username: Greenscreen

Jake Dog,

Is the green hue with you all the time? I get that same problem, but only with DVDs and PS2 games. And even then, I only get the green hue intermittently. I didn't know if it was the TV or the receiver, since I don't get the green hue with regular TV, HDTV, or VHS. Sounds like I should make a call to the Samsung warranty line.

Monroe, NY USA

Note to tp:
I have occasional problems with no audio while changing channels and also switched back & forth to correct. I use an Explorer 4200HD, service by Cablevision. Another thing I occasionally observe while changing channels is a pixilated fade-in of the video. I don't know exactly what causes these things, but I suspect its related to transmission signal quality..

Anonymous

We are interested in purchasing Sammy hlp5063w on line, but am wondering if this is wise with so many reports of problems with noise, out of sync and 3 light dead. I understand Sony purchases the technology from Samsung so if I buy sony will I have the same problems. Not very knowledgable about all this and would appreciate any helpful suggestions and information.

Unregistered guest
I got my 61" HLP for $2999 through a friend. Anyways, the first one had a problem with the analogue sound jacks in the rear. I returned it that day and got another.

The next Sammy lasted for about 45 days. Now, I have the three lights of death, like so many of you. At first, I though it was because I have a multimedia computer hooked up to it because that's when the problem started (PC games look awesome! And surfing the net rocks, too... but the best is video editing. Watching your homemade digital videos on it is the best).

Anyways, I'm glad to know it's not something I did.

Neeper
Unregistered guest
I have a HLP4663W. My audio delay is atrocious!! It only happens when I watch my DVD's. Does anyone out there know what I can do to fix this? It has delay when I use component and s-video.

Bronze Member

IL USA

Post Number: 24
neeper:

please read thru the postings on this thread, this has been dealt with a few times (very effectively), most recently about a week ago. if you cant find it by scrolling up you should be able to search on top.

Bronze Member

IL USA

Post Number: 25
neeper:

it starts here and goes for about 15 postings. read the whole thing!

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=179807#POST179807

Neeper
Unregistered guest
SSGenesis: If I do the audio delay programming like you suggested, will it affect my regular tv? My satellite TV has no problem with sync whatsoever. It's only the DVD with my Panasonic receiver that has this delay. Any advice would be helpful thanks!!

Tom: Thanks for your help. I did read through the thread and didn't find the answer I was looking for, because I didn't ask the right question I guess. I also did a search on these forums and didn't find anythig specific.

Anonymous

I'm thinking about buying either the 46 in or 50 in Samsung DLP from Best Buy. Does anyone have a recommendation between the two or is the size the only difference? Also, I've read about the numerous problems that people have had with their sets, should I pay for the extended service plan? Thanks

mike67
Unregistered guest
Hey all, kind of a newbie question here - I'm about to grab the hlp61 for 3499 (plus warranty) on a no interest deal - what cables should I pick up with it (to get bundled into the no-interest deal) Figure I'll pick up a new dvd with either hdmi or dvi out, so that's a definate, but how about from cable box to tv, between components and surround sound receiver etc etc. What do I really need to get? And, are monster cables really better, or just more expensive - can I get cheaper cables but not sacrifice quality?

Thanks for all the help.

Ryan_In_KC
Unregistered guest
Neeper: It did not affect my regular tv at all, but did resolve the audio synch problem I had on a few of the channels.

Anonymous: Buy the service plan! The 4663 is a great tv and I haven't had any problems, but just in case, it's nice to know that if there is a problem I won't have to fork out $1000's to fix it.

Tampa Al
Unregistered guest
Neeper-I have an HLP5063W and a similar problem when playing a DVD. I have a Panasonic DVD player with audio thru an Onkyo receiver. Can't figure out why I only have the sync problem on only one of my DVD's. The problem isn't real bad in fact it only happens with certain scenes on the DVD. The rest of the movie has no sync issues. I returned the DVD for a replacement but same problem.

Tampa Al
Unregistered guest
Reading thru all of the posts on this site has been real helpful-thx. I have owned my HLP5063W for almost two weeks and no major problems yet.
I'm sure most of you know this but make sure you have your TV plugged into a wall outlet or surge strip and not into a switched outlet on the back of a receiver or cable box. The TV has to have power to it after you turn it off in order to run the cooling fan for the lamp.
Also I never buy service contracts but I did for this TV. To big of an investment and too costly to repair. I bought my HLP at Sound Advice. They met the CC price of $2699 and charge $350 for a five year contract.

Bronze Member

IL USA

Post Number: 26
mike67: you give too little info on what else you have in your HT system. if you have a good pre/pro or receiver you will want to hook everything to that (digital or analog audio + component or at least S- video), then hook it to the TV. few pre/pro's on the market yet can switch digital video (DVI/HDMI) and only some can switch high-bandwidth (hi-def) component video so choose carefully.

on cables, my personal rule of thumb is: if its a digital signal, dont spend much $ on cables. If it's an analog signal, there will be a noticable difference - at least buy decent if not very good cables. Monster is not such a great value, i recommend the cables at outlaw audio ( www.outlawaudio.com ) or if you are adventuresome with a long budget, check out any of pierre sprey's cool stuff at mapleshade ( www.mapleshaderecords.com ) - some great CDs there too...

lastly, you guys (e.g. tampa al) are all killing me. I bought the HLP50 when it first came out in june, and paid $3500. The joys of riding the early adopter wave... whatever you do get a service contracts on these DLPs, at least the dealer will be kind on exchanges - and a light engine is still $1300 for parts alone.

johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
Anyone reading these threads, I say get the SAMMY DLP.. It may seem they're problematic but the picture is amazing....... The overall size of the cabinet between the 46" vs. the 50" is so close I say get the 50"...... And always get the service plan on a purchase this large... jusy my 2c

Anonymous

CC in Northern VA has it at 3299.00 including delivery( $40 ). Offer expires at 12/11/04

Hey guys, I need help...I'm a newb. I just received the HLP4674W and I need help with adjusting some of the settings.

1. Standard broadcasts from Comcast Cable. (4:3)
I can't stand the wide "fat cheerleaders" viewing of standard broadcasts so I set the TV to 4:3 aspect ratio. But I have a slight moire issue. How do I adjust that? (I have the cable box connected to the TV via composite cables)

2. I have a low end Toshiba DVD player connected to the TV via component video and I am not sure if I am displaying in 480p. When I hit the "info" button on the remote while viewing DVD's, I get a message 1024x480i. Is there something else that I need to do to get a 480p display from the DVD player?

3. Is there a way to determine how long my TV has been used. I.e. bulb usuage. I am not concerned that it's a used TV or anything like that but would just like to know how long I've used the bulb.

Otherwise, I think it's a really nice TV. And I got it for a great price because I have a relative working with Samsung/US.

Any help would be appreciated.

Username: Chugor

Hi Everyone,

This is a great group that is full of information. I am very glad to have learned out it.

I have 3 questions that hopefully someone can address.

1) Is it the general consensus that UPS with AVR should be used with the Samsung HLP series?
2) When a lamp is replaced, is there a timer that needs to be reset. If this timer exists, how can you determine its current value?
3) I understand that there are tow lamps compatible with the HLP series. A Toshiba and a Philips. Which brand ships with the television? Is one superior to the other?

Thanks everyone.

Username: Robotoil

Hi. I own the 4663. The picture is great, though I've had some issues. The 1st one had a small visual defect on the front. The 2nd one had a bad audio input on one jack for the DVI. The 3rd will has some, what I would call "smudging" around the sides of the screen when viewing whites. It's on the inside of the picture screen. I'm having the 4th replaced this weekend. Also, does anyone else notice that the TV audio outputs do not work when using DVI as an input but not when the component inputs are used? I highly recommend the warrenty. I got mine at CC and they have been great about getting me replacements. Anyone else having problems with the audio or see the smudging?

reed12
Unregistered guest
What is going on with all these complaints? I have my second set after the first quit in 2 days. If this is such a huge problem why isn't something being done? I'm asking myself why am I keeping this thing when I can return now without having lost anything. So, why are you all sticking with Samsung? Is it the best of poor choices for DLP? I started out wanting a plasma but changed because of all the problems I read with it. Is the consensus the Samsung is worth it? Keep it or dump it and what to buy if I dump it?

Bronze Member

IL USA

Post Number: 27
YHan: switch the comcast box to output 1080i for all signals, and let the tv's (superior) faroujda processor convert to 780p. when i did this on my moto box, it output the low-def signals with vertical letterboxes, preserving the aspect ratio. In addition, it eliminated the "mode switching" wait time when you go from hi-def to low-def, and back again.

look up a ways to a posting i made a month or so ago that shows how to do this on the comcast moto box.

you may also want to use the DVI output from the cable box, it looks better than component output (can go into either the DVI input or HDMI input with the right cable).

Username: Robotoil

Oh one more thing in addition to my last post. Again, I have the 4663. When I put sound out to the stereo (not surround), because I use the DVI and the audio out does not work when tv input is from DVI, after the stereo is turned off, the audio will not come back on unless I turn the stereo on then off when the tv is still on. Was that clear? If I turn the tv off before the stereo and mute the internal speakers, I will not get sound unless I turn the stereo on again. It is weird, like the TV needs some impedience (sp?) on the line to reactivate. Oh, and this is the really weird part, because of the aforementioned problem with the stereo out, I have to run "Y" cables from the cable box to the TV and the stereo. Why can't the tv audio outs work when you use DVI? Does anyone else have this problem? Or can someone confirm this too?

Tom S.,
Thanks for the reply. You have a good point. However, I didn't mention my whole setup. Currently, I have a no name cable box for SD cable. Comcast is coming over tomorrow 12/10 to hook up HD digital cable with motorola's cable box. So maybe my SD programming will be displayed in 4:3 aspect ratio. Unfortunately, Comcast does not currently utilize the DVI nor the HDMI port on the digital motorola cable boxes. Once I get the moto box and if the technician hasn't set it up properly, i'll look at your post from a month ago. (Comcast forces you to have their technician install the HD digital cable)

Post Number: 4
Does any know how to get into the service menu of the HLP4674W?

Monroe, NY USA

WS: Not sure how you have you components set up. Perhaps if you describe how you are cabled there could be an explanation.

Unregistered guest
Looking at the 4663. BB had is setup with a cable input. Looked bad. But so did all the other sets in the row. I saw the 4663 in CC using a progresive scan DVD hooked up to the component inputs. Looked a lot better but not as good as the $5K + system sitting down at the end of the isle. That being said, I think I will go with the 4663 using the Samsung Directv receiver. I need a stand to sit the 4663 on. I am looking for suggestions of something that is about the same size as the 4663 so that I can push the combination back into the corner.

I have a set of cube Bose speakers that need to sit probably on top of the unit. What is the shelf I read refferences about?

Thanks

Bronze Member

IL USA

Post Number: 28
YHan:

i must correct you, comcast's moto boxes DO support DVI output. i have one, it works. i did go out of my way to confirm with both the call-center bozo and the technician over the phone that it would work before they showed up.

when the technician shows up, insist that he configures it to work. if it doesnt tell him to give you a different one. if it still doesnt work try my earlier posting (BTW, that posting will work for component output as well as DVI) to fix the aspect ratio problem on low-def.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 302
Tom-

Here in Seattle, when I first got my Motorola 5100 HD box in August the DVI out not "active". At that time Comcast said they did not support it. A few weeks ago Comcast called and said they now "Support" the DVI in the Seattle area and provided me with a new box. I was told it varies by region.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
"Does any know how to get into the service menu of the HLP4674W?"

Go into the user menu, turn off the melody that plays when you turn the set on or off. Then, quickly, hit Power, Mute, 1, 8, 2, and Power again.

xvxvxvx

SSGENESIS
Unregistered guest
Neeper: If you are listening to the audio directly from the DVD unit ( not passing thru the TV )this will be always ahead of the video and this is a normal situation on all 100% Digital units. Some manufacturers have Amps / Receivers that delay the audio to match the video on digital sets. You see, when you adjust the settings on the TV what is delayed is the audio, the video is not afected at all.

Unregistered guest
Just purchased Samsung HLP4663W at CC, and am concerned after now seeing how many people had problems within short term of purchasing same model. I had initially declined the CC protection offered to me, but now regret it a bit. Do you recommend getting the additional protection from CC above the Samsung warrany?

AND, has Samsung publicly addressed this seemingly abundant occurence of malfunctioning DLPs?

Anonymous

To all of you Samsung purchasers... I work for samsung america.. and do not recommend getting a dlp tv... especially when they only come with a 1 year warranty.. and i know that working for samsung i only get the service calls..(meaning no one calls to say there tv is good) but generally speaking our DLP tv's are terrible.. they come with a shotty bulb(phillips i believe) and then also they have many other problems with the ballast and board... if you are adimant in buying a samsung DLP get an extended warranty.. and make sure they cover bulb replacement.. bulbs run about 200 or more dollars... also samsung america has a terrible way of setting up service for digital tv's, requiring you to call for initial set up then you have to call our digital department and then they have a svc center call you back. I can say most of the other samsung products arent good as well. We mainly focus on quantity, not quality.

DLP tv's in general are a risky purchase, it is a new technology and the kinks need to be worked out.. if you really want one get a panassonic Toshiba or mitsubishi. Our policy is that if your tv has been repaired 3 or more times you are entitled to a refund/exchange.. this however takes about a month.. if lucky a bit fast.. but more often its longer... Samsung is aware of this problem but do not consider it a huge problem since the ratio is not really up there... i suppose there are a lot of happy samsung DLP owners out there but sooner or later something will happend with there DLP.

So Beware of samsung and beware of DLP tv's

Unregistered guest
If anyone can tell me how to connect cables to get PIP to work on Samsung 5065W I'd really appreciate it. I've followed all the directions in manual as well as every other configuration I can think of and the best I can get is finding a channel by selecting "Air" then the channel, then switching to "standard". Only problem with this is as soon as I try to change channel on PIP with remote I go back to channels 3, 14, and 15. Very weird and frustrating.

Washington, NC USA

Post Number: 7
To MM: I didn't get the extended protection at first, but CC called me when my year of original warranty was up and offered me the 4yr extended warranty. It was $470. This picks up where the original warranty left off - no overlap. Looking on the CC website, if you were to purchase the 4 yr. warranty at the time of the TV purchase, it is $499, and overlaps with the 1 yr. warranty that comes witht he TV, so you really only end up with 3 beyond the original. So - you'd be better to wait.

Re: Anonymous - I personally don't think his post made much sense. Just sounds like someone trying to slam Sammy.

Best regards to all.....

The Happy Camper
Unregistered guest
I can vouch for Anonymous... But can't say much for other
manufacturers' digital projection TVs.

The most common problems concerning Sammy's are:
a) bulb prematurely dying / burn out after only 2 to 4 wks of use
b) fan whine / grating noises / heat issues
d) sound not sync with picture
e) power supply / unable to power the unit

I'm I convert and believe the picture on Sammy DLP tv's to be stupendous,
it's just that I would at all costs avoid getting a DLP unit serviced through Samsung USA.

After finishing up a call with the customer service folks,
am given a service request # and another 1-800 number for something called the DTV Coordinators -
and they don't transfer people off to this dept because they can't! Is this like the 1930s or something?

Getting a tech to service the tv takes 2 weeks or more depending on regional location.
Their phone support is just as helpful as gonorrhea.
The higher tier, upper management folk in their NJ head offices are just as baaad
'cause they take their sweet sweet time in terms of getting things like warranty coverage, service, and exchange issues resolved.

If you have the chance, get a Sammy from a place like COSTCO, or get an extended warranty -
the peace of mind is just as beautiful as the Battle of Hoth on an HLP6163.

thc

PDQ
Unregistered guest
Hello,
I think I've read the entire thread, and hope I dont repeat anything that has been already covered. I feel like this is a Samsung support group.
"Hi I'm Alan and I bought Samsung"
We (my wife and I) bought a Samsung DLP Tv about 9 months ago, dont know the Model but it's a 40 something inch set.
We have been treated regularly to the 3 bliking lights of death. We are currently waiting for a return call from the authorized Samsung fixer guy.
I am assuming we will be in need of another motor engine bulb thing. During my last conversation with the fine folks at Samsung I told them we just want the thing replaced!
This future junior exectutive of the year (reading from the rule book word for word) explained the 3 strikes policy! Ughhh, so we have the guy coming out, but with the 1 year warranty (we did not buy the extended plan) set to expire in the next few months I am here to tell you that this fine piece of Audio Visual technology. Will (one way of another) meet with another breakdown prior to the 1 year anniversary.
So this brings me to a few questions...
1. will we have to exchange it for the exact same set?
2. is it a cash refund?
3. what is being done to fix the problem?
4. are other mfgr's experiencing the same problems?

Klaus
Unregistered guest
Samsung has in the past replaced with updated models. If you have a HLN model, they are prone to the 3 lights of doom. Reseating the lamp can help. My suspicion is that either bad connections or voltage\current spikes whack the microprocessor. I had an early hln437w1 set with these problems, had the lamp replaced, but still had problem, returned to CC and now have a hlp4674w which KOW is working great. Definitely use your set a lot after repair, try power up, down a lot as well to make sure that you have a fix. Mine failed within a week of lamp repair. Try to make it fail. This will a. insure that you get your 3 strikes or b. insure that the fix was indeed correct either before warranty expires. Some compaies offer extended warranty to you near the end of the factory warranty, so if it is offered for a reasonable price it would be worth getting after the fact.

PDQ
Unregistered guest
Thanks Klaus,

Just found the model # it is a HLN437W.

Has anyone had a unit replaced by Samsung?

Not by the retailer, by Samsung?

Just wondering if it an automatic that the unit will be replaced?
(inside the 1 year window, of course)

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 307
Samsung will repair before they replace. Check this out for a list of "issues" that are replaced with the HLN series. http://wa6ati.com/Samsung.html

Mr. Der
Unregistered guest
Hey everyone. First time poster, long time reader. I just wanted to say that I totally agree with Anonymous that was blasting Samsung. He does point out valid issues on the DLP televisions, but the poor grammar.. Now thats something else.
I too work for Samsung America, but i felt it would be in my best interest if I were to call myself Mr. Der.
As he was stating, Samsung really does have a problem with the DLPs. Daily I have to constantly hear about the three lights of death and how the customer only hears audio but no sound. These things are extremly fragile. Any bump, and you might get yourself a nice center piece. Like he said, servicing is a big hassle and just to get yourself an exchange... well.. lets just say, be prepared for a month of time wasting. The exchange process goes through aprox. 3 levels, until it gets authorized, and I have to disagree with anonymous... I have seen exchanges done in 3 months!!

Anonymous might have slammed "Sammy" but he raises good issues that "Ol' Sammy" is simply too arogant to look into and soon enough, a class action suit will follow it.

Mr. Der
Unregistered guest
Hey everyone. First time poster, long time reader. I just wanted to say that I totally agree with Anonymous that was blasting Samsung. He does point out valid issues on the DLP televisions, but the poor grammar.. Now thats something else.
I too work for Samsung America, but i felt it would be in my best interest if I were to call myself Mr. Der.
As he was stating, Samsung really does have a problem with the DLPs. Daily I have to constantly hear about the three lights of death and how the customer only hears audio but no sound. These things are extremly fragile. Any bump, and you might get yourself a nice center piece. Like he said, servicing is a big hassle and just to get yourself an exchange... well.. lets just say, be prepared for a month of time wasting. The exchange process goes through aprox. 3 levels, until it gets authorized, and I have to disagree with anonymous... I have seen exchanges done in 3 months!!

Anonymous might have slammed "Sammy" but he raises good issues that "Ol' Sammy" is simply too arogant to look into and soon enough, a class action suit will follow it.

PDQ
Unregistered guest
If I have to wait 3 months to get resolution to this whole nightmare, there isn't a soul on this earth that wont have a clear picture of exactly what Samsung is trying to pull!
This is BS and I plan to make one HECK of a noise if they drag their bleeping heels like that!
Buyer beware, well I miised the boat on that one.

GGG
Unregistered guest
Last week I purchased HLP5063W. Salesman recommended that I also buy Monster component cables ($70). He told me I will need 2 of them -- one going from cable box to DVD and another from DVD to TV. However, I am also getting an HD box. So, will I need another one? Also, I was at Lowe's and saw component cables for under $30 (can't remember the brand). Are those good enough or should I stick with Monster cables?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 311
GGG-

Don't listen to the saleman. Monster cable stuff is nice, but WAY over priced. They push it because the profit margin on it is insane. You will be just fine going with something like Acoustic Research (AR) cables. They run under $30. I wouldn't buy $5 cables, but something around $30 should work great.

You will need to a set going from the DVD player to the TV, and one set going from the cable box to the TV. There is no need to run from the cable box to the DVD. Infact, I don't even know if that is possible.

Strati
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch is correct in saying that Monster Cables have a HUGE profit margin.

The markup for Moster Cables is 65% at the retail level. This is a FACT!

Retailers can make just as much profit from selling you ALL your cables as they would selling you one TV.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us