Anyone hookup PC to HDTV via ATI 9800 component?

Username: Bdog

Post Number: 1
Just wanted to see if anyone could help out with my experience. I wanted to try PC gaming on my Hitachi 51 RPTV. I have the ATI 9800 installed so I plugged in the red component adapter into the video out on the card. When I attempted to plug in the component cables from the TV into the adapter I heard a pop and saw flash come from the back of the TV! I'm sure it's not a shock to some of you the input I was using is fried. I thought the problem might have been that the TV and PC were both powered on when I did this so I thought I'd give it another go with input # 2. Don't worry the TV is under Circuit City warrenty anyways so what the hell. So I turned off the TV and unplugged the PC. Now everything is hooked up and I turned the TV on. Ok...nothing blowing up, Let's try plugging PC power in... wooooow - nevermind! As soon as I plugged the power cable into the back of the PC the lights dimmed and a loud buzzing occured!?! Does anyone have any ideas on what is going on here??? Thanks.

RobW
Unregistered guest
There is no way that should happen even with them both on! Either the video card, the TV, or your wiring job has gone horribly wrong and somethings gonna fry!
What is the "video out" on the 9800 your plugging into???? There is a VGA, DVI, and S-video output on that card (unless yours is an ALL-IN-WONDER in which case you must make sure your plugging into the VIDEO OUT JACK not video in!) Are you using the ATI DVI to component adapter for the 9800? Are you sure your plugging into Red-Green-Blue component INPUTS on the TV and not a Right-Audio jack?? What model TV is it so we can guide you?

Username: Bdog

Post Number: 3
Yes I have the ALL-IN-WONDER and it was plugged into the video out with the red component adapter (it splits off into red/blue/green). I'm also sure it was running to the correct input on the TV (Red/blue/green component). My tv is the Hitachi 51SWX.

RobW
Unregistered guest
Have you used any other devices successfully on the component inputs? You don't have something plugged into the DVI at the same time? (I could see that causing problems)
Those questions should eliminate the TV end of the problem leaving your component cable, the red component adapter, and the video card. At this point I would bet the adapter's wired badly. Did you follow the lenghtly instructions for your AllinWonder? Have you ever used it on any other TV? (maybe S-video or composite?)

Wish I could be more helpful but it sounds like your doing it right!

Username: Doctorstrobe

Post Number: 1
Sounds like there might be a difference in the ground between the TV/AV system and the computer.
Do you have Cable TV?
The computer is grounded through the 3rd prong on the AC outlet. The TV and other audio equipment doesn't have a 3rd prong so it isn't directly grounded to the same point as the Computer. A really bad problem can happen if the Cable TV 'Ground' isn't connected directly to the electrical ground outside the house. There can actually be a voltage difference between the two 'grounds'... Usually this isn't a problem, but when you connect a computer to a TV or other part of the AV system it can cause problems.
I've actually measured 2 or 3 volts (AC) between the cable Ground and the PC ground. It caused a lot of horrible 60hz hum in my audio but it didn't damage anything. A corroded ground connection out at the cable splitter caused this.

Could also be a problem with the house wiring...

Username: Sp46l5

Post Number: 2
here is an article for output YPP without adapter
u can download its attachment tools

http://www.jd-bbs.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=245584

Username: Sp46l5

Post Number: 3
download the patch directly

http://luzi.vip.sina.com/jd/ATICVPatch.zip

Graham J
Unregistered guest
I had exactly the same problem! I grabbed an AIW 8500DV from eBay, hooked it up, and bang! Got a crazy spark on my cable that melted the connector. It turns out the power plug my TV was plugged into was wired in reverse. All was well until I plugged in a grounded device - in this case my computer.

My suggestion: Go out to a hardware store and get one of those power plug testers. Well worth the few bucks.

Good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us