Widescreen Buying Help

frustrated
Unregistered guest
I've been quasi researching HDTV widescreens on and off since August and am ready to pull the trigger.

This is what I'm looking for:
-Widescreen
-Atleast 32" (42" max)
-Slimmer the better
-I've looked at some rear projections in the store and don't like the darkness when viewed at an angle.
-Like to keep it under 2,200

I don't have a local Best Buy / Circuit City so it's tough getting into the stores to view the actual picture quality and I'd like to be armed with a good idea of what meets my criteria prior to entering the store.

I've heard decent things about Sony Model: KF42WE610 but it is a rear projection and I haven't seen it in person to see what the darks look like from an angle.

Does anything come to mind that fits the above? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

DLP for me
Unregistered guest
Don't be "Frustrated",

Get a 46" to 50" DLP!
Mitsu, Samsung, RCA, whatever.
Cutting edge HD stuff. Bright from any angle.
No fade, no burn-in like LCD or Plazma.
Texas Instruments DLP technology in all of them.
Most problems have been worked out, but get an extended warranty anyway. It's worth it.
Picture will knock your socks off, especially HD.
Local Digital broadcasts are exceptional.
1080I ad 720P resolutions are sharp and clear.
Cabinets are shallow in depth, like 17" or less.
Weight is light, like 75 lbs. or less.
Component (Pb, Pr, Y) hook-ups are sweet.
Some allow you to connect your PC. Cool!
Newest Samsung's are HLP models, HLP5063W, HLP5085.
Here are links to the best online prices.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?sort_type=price&masterid=3029802& isbn=&pid=

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?sort_type=price&masterid=3221815& isbn=&pid=

Other brands can be looked up there too.

Frustrated
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your help, the ones you mentioned are too big (is there such a thing??) but I think I'm on the right track w/ DLP -- something I hadnt researched before.

Quick question, I don't have HDTV now, and am moving shortly and will be using DirecTV, will a DLP be ok with that?

If any others have suggestions in the 32-42" range for DLP's please let me know!

How long until the superbowl?

DLP for me
Unregistered guest
Direct TV is offering six months of free HD to new and existing customers. HD Discovery is incredibe! Water is so wet...you better keep a mop handy. The Rose Bowl Parade on New Year's Day was awesome.
Not sure why your stuck on 32" to 42". You must have a cabinet. DLP starts at 46" and goes up to 61". The 50" looks the best from a distance of 8 to 12 feet. (my situation) I ditched my cabinet, which held my old Sony 36" picture tube. The Sony tube failed after only 14 months. "Don't make'em like they used too", the tech said. I've had a few issues with my HLP5063W. Had a bulb replaced (damaged in shipping), a color wheel noise (resolved), a minor sound sync issue on a single channel ( video processing delay ) no big deal. Samsung Factory Warranty Service has taken excellent care of me, even offered to replace my set with a new one. The technology is cutting edge. We, the consumers, are the testing ground. I have a 5 year CPS extended warranty, so I'm in DLP for the long haul. I sold my cabinet!

Super Bowl XXXIX will be played in Jacksonville, Florida on Feb. 6, 2005 at Alltel Stadium.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us