Samsung dlp problems---noob help!

Username: Wheels9696

Post Number: 1
Hello,

I purchased the samsung 50' dlp and straightaway after turning it on there were 8-9 projected light circles on teh screen. They are stationary and do not turn off after time. Has this happened to anyone? Its pretty darn annoying and distracting.

also, the picture is not very sharp with a progressive scan dvd player and monster component 2 cables. major rainbow effect--more than i noticed in teh store.

help the noob please!

thanks

Discovering
Unregistered guest
It's one of two things.

Check that your conponent cables are not crossed.
It really messes things up if they are.

Or it's the color wheel. Swap the set out.

Post Number: 2
its not the cables---is there anything that i can do manually to fix?

Discovering
Unregistered guest
Is it doing this with any input signal?
How about DVD signal. Or off-air?
Cable or Satelite?
Which model did you buy? Which store?
It sounds like a color wheel problem, which should spin at 9000 RPM and may have been displaced or damaged during shipping. Samsung's warranty service is excellent. If you bought it online and can't swap it locally, call them at 1 800 Samsung. The problem doesn't sound like a user adjustment situation.

Username: Sears_elect_ass

samsung dlps are garbage. take it back. get an lcd.for a slight price difference lcd is better.
ive seen more problems with (samsung) dlps than any other too

Post Number: 3
the tv does it even without any input

model 5085(pedestal)

bought at FRY's open box for 2914.00--5year service plan

i can still watch comfortably but i will see the spots

How does the warranty service work?

ALARIC--thanks for the input but its worthless to my situation--please troll elsewhere

Discovering
Unregistered guest
They will fax a service request to your local Samsung repair shop after asking you some questions, like model and serial numbers (have them handy). My experience has been excellent. They will replace parts up to and including the whole light engine. If anything happens again on their watch, they will want to replace your set with a new one. Can't beat that!

Great price on the 5085. Congrats! I have the 5063W, 5 year CPS warranty (not used it yet), purchased in Aug., bulb replaced in Sept. (damaged in shipping), color wheel noise (bearing issue), slight sound sync issue occasionally on one channel (doesn't bother me). Samsung factory warranty service has been excellent. Picture is unbeatable. HD is incredible! It's a superior technology. Cutting edge stuff! I'll weather the bugs. I'm in DLP for the long haul.

Post Number: 4
do i have to register anything special for the warranty?

Discovering
Unregistered guest
Not at all! Just give them a call! 1-800-SAMSUNG

Username: Zizman

VISTA, CA USA

CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH ADVISE ON WHICH TYPE OF DLP TO PURCHASE? I AM IN LOVE WITH THE SAMSUNG HLP5085W, BUT HATE THE STAND IT COMES ATTACHED TO. I CALLED SAMSUNG AND ASKED THEM IF THEY HAD THE SAME MODEL TELEVISION, ONLY IN A TABLETOP FORM, NO STAND. THEY TOLD ME THEY DID NOT. THE GUY AT BEST BUY TOLD ME THEY HAVE COME OUT WITH ANOTHER STYLE WITHOUT THE STAND, BUT HAVE YET TO FIND IT. ALSO, I'VE NOTICED THE ASPECT RATIO FOR THIS MODEL IS 2500:1, IS THIS WHAT GIVES THIS DLP A ADVANTAGE? NOTHING ELSE IS CLOSE WITH THE HD2PLUS CHIP ALSO. SHOULD I WAIT, BECAUSE NOW I'M ALSO HEARING OF A HD3 CHIP AND A RATIO OF 3000:1; THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!! APPRECIATE ANY INSIGHT ON THIS.

Bronze Member
Username: Hampersnow

Post Number: 18
lyle , i liked this television too ,but all the many posts with Samsung problems turned me against it.take a look at the toshiba DLPs. they have the same hd2+ chip ,but are tabletop models ,and have matching stands to hold your equipment. recently several places (such as Crutchfield) were giving the stand for FREE with the TV, also the Toshibas are cheaper. i have not as yet purchased one ,but have seen it at Best Buy. the picture is a beauty and it is now at the top of my list.

DLP for me
Unregistered guest
The picture is not as bright or clear on Toshi's as Samsung. Check'em side by side with the same signal source. Today's Samsung HLP5063W is refined, has no built-on pedistal, and the price is very competetive. Oh, if you have been reading a lot about the sync issue then you're listening to folks that don't know how to operate their set.
These TV's have adjustable settings. I wouldn't trade mine for any other. Get an extended warranty, though. This is a new technology. Be safe not sorry.

Klaus
Unregistered guest
The HLPXX74W series is a samsung tabletop model which has the HD2+ chip like the XX85 series but only 6 segment color wheel. I have the 46 inch version and it is great. I have had zero problems, unlike my friend with the 5063 that has color wheel noise issue.

Anonymous

How can I turn off the digital sound when turning on 5063 DLP Samsung TVs?

Username: Gojhawks

To disable the melody sound on the HL-P5063 go into "menu", click on "setup" and turn "melody" to "off"

JANE
Unregistered guest
We purchased a Samsung 50" DLP HLN-5065W on 8/17/2003. Beautiful picture. Last month, we heard the high pitch sound. Called Best Buy service. Service rep came out and ordered the color wheel. Excellent service. We bought the extended warranty since it is a new technology. The color wheel came and the service rep came out and put it in. He said that the bearings go out in them. So far, all seems back to normal. We really like this product and hope to enjoy it for many years even though we were upset about a repair so soon

JANE
Unregistered guest
We purchased a Samsung 50" DLP HLN-5065W on 8/17/2003. Beautiful picture. Last month, we heard the high pitch sound. Called Best Buy service. Service rep came out and ordered the color wheel. Excellent service. We bought the extended warranty since it is a new technology. The color wheel came and the service rep came out and put it in. He said that the bearings go out in them. So far, all seems back to normal. We really like this product and hope to enjoy it for many years even though we were upset about a repair so soon

JANE
Unregistered guest

Anonymous

Anybody that will bash the samsung is crazy. I work at a Best Buy and I compare all the new T.v.s to the Samsung I bought. NO contest. Samsung has the best picture and the best sound. All those people having problems with the pic or sound, learn how to use your t.v. it is the best.

Unregistered guest
I have a Samsung 50" DLP and notice some marks (when watching light color picture) it looks like marks on the back of the screen surface. I already sent it back once, this is the secon one. Anyone else seen this problem?

Username: Asm

I have a Samsung 50" DLP. Would like to know how do I connect my (setup cable box) and (AV amplifier) and the (TV) in order to have surround voice.

PS: the cable setup box has opticall out.
the AV ampilfier has opticall in.

thanks

Klaus
Unregistered guest
Run the optical out from cable box to optical in on the receiver. Set the internal speakers on the Samsung TV to internal mute on. This will keep the audio and video in sync.I have this setup with my 46 inch samsung and do not ever use the internal tv speakers. The video sources (through composite cables) DVD, Cable, HD tuner,are all switched through the surround receiver to the tv composite 1.

Dank
Unregistered guest
Not to be a burr in the saddle, but just to give another view to a new buyer...

I bought a HLP4663 in October and it started giving me problems at the end of November. By Christmas it was shutting off and turning on by itself constantly with lights glowing and/or blinking. 3 unsuccessful repairs later (bulb, ballast, pcb boards & light engine) and it it going back. I would love to get another Samsung...because like most of you, I think it has the best picture, without question...but I am going to be looking at different brands because I was very unhappy with how unreliable this TV was. Yes, I could get a good one on the next try...but the odds don't seem to good that there won't be something wrong with it.

Dank
Unregistered guest
Not to be a burr in the saddle, but just to give another view to a new buyer...

I bought an HLP4663 in October and it started giving me problems at the end of November. By Christmas it was shutting off and turning on by itself constantly with lights glowing and/or blinking. 3 unsuccessful repairs later (bulb, ballast, pcb boards & light engine) and it it going back. I would love to get another Samsung...because like most of you, I think it has the best picture, without question...but I am going to be looking at different brands because I was very unhappy with how unreliable this TV was. Yes, I could get a good one on the next try...but the odds don't seem to good that there won't be something wrong with it.

Username: Asm

Klaus,

Thank you for the info.

Another Q.
When I play a music CD and convert it to surround sound with the receiver I am getting a weak signal in the surround speakers (front speakers are ok). Is this normal?

Thanks

Sonorakitch
Unregistered guest
I purchased a Samsung 50" DLP the first week in January and the fan bearing went out a week later. Took it back to Costco and got another. Now the screen is black with white streaks...Samsung tech said it was a bad board. Now I am taking it back again. I don't care how good the picture is if the damn TV keeps breaking. Avoid this thing like the plague.

Klaus
Unregistered guest
ASM:
If the music track on a CD is not specifically encoded for surround sound then the surround processor will send "out of phase" information present to a certain extent in all music to the rear speakers. This is generally just low ambient sounds and can increase the spatial sound stage, or in certain instances that out of phase information may be static and distortion. If the sound is disagreeable, set the surround mode to stereo and see if that helps.

Anonymous

Today I just got a 61" Samsung HLP delivered.

I was hoping against hope I would be spared(what seemed like) the minority of past buyers problems.

Picture is amazing, I mean it blew me away looking at Finding Nemo, but a high pitched noise that varied in intensity comes from the right speaker. I think it is the color wheel. As amazing as the picture is, any high pitched noise will ruin the experience for me because I will watch mostly when my kids are asleep.

So, do I call a repairman, or just return the thing for another brand?

What are the models and brands most favored by the many Samsung victims?

Wazzu
Unregistered guest
I just had a new video and sound board installed to fix the video-audio sinc problems. Now I have weird coloring on my dark colors. It almost looks like solirization. Anybody else have this happen? I have called the repair man to come and fix it but last time he was out I had to help him through the last repair as he had never worked on a DLP nor received any training. By the way I purchased it at sears.

samthung
Unregistered guest
I have a HLP5063 and about a month after buying it just shuts off. Like the plug was pulled. Power it back up and shuts off again. Anyonw else have this problem?? Had the service guy out twice and first time pulled out the lamp plugged back in, second time replaced the lamp still no fix! Irritated!

FYI
Unregistered guest
Anon,

What did you end up doing with that 61?

Wazzu,

That tech messed up! He should return and make it right on his dime.

Sam,

Three lights don't flash on the front? Oh well... it's definitely not a lamp issue then. If the fan stops running or you never here it run, there is a safety circuit that shuts down everything. Can you here the fan? Three factory service calls means you qualify for a new set.

Klaus
Unregistered guest
Samthung:
I think you will find that there are known (but unknown to your service person) about system shut down. Replacing the light engine is one of them. When the system does the problem, note exactly what the 3 leds in the center front circle are doing. Lamps not coming on with these problem sets are asymptom not the cure.

Question_Authority
Unregistered guest
Hello folks
I've been looking at various DLP base projectors etc and have found what I believe to be a major problem for the consumer.
The lower cost DLP base TV/projectors use a single DLP chip with a spinning color wheel as the basis of the light engine.
The spinning color wheel is almost guarenteed to fail, typically in the range of 10-20,000 hours of operation. When this fails it means replacing the light engine assembly (big bucks).
So depending on usage you may or may not think this is worth while

Post Reader
Unregistered guest
Q & A,

You are a total lost ball.
You have a lot of research to do my friend.

The color wheel produces an "accurate" color spectrum, unlike other display technologies. Texas Instruments DMD chip technology uses nothing but light to create pixels and has been proven to last over 30 years. The replaceable color wheel slides in front of the replaceable lamp and is about as easy to replace if and when needed. (under $200) The new air bushing color wheel hasn't failed in any set yet.

You have some reading to do:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0%2C1558%2C1049289%2C00.asp?kc=ETNKT0209KTX1

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0%2C1558%2C1747573%2C00.asp

Username: Xiphias

Any more G2 out there on this 'color wheel' topic. My Sammy DLP model HLN507W is really 'whinning' and buzzing when the set is on. the noise is quit loud and very annoying.

Post Reader
Unregistered guest
Post Reader

Mine was replaced last month. I have the same set as you. The part number on my receipt is BP96-00674A. It does fit! It's very quiet too!

Anonymous

Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 04:18 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just got the color wheel replaced on my HLN507. What a difference! Only took the tech 30 min to swap it out and it's now so quiet that all I hear is the fan... exactly how it should be.

Taking the set apart as he did is definitely not for the weak of heart. I was under extended warranty so had no need to figure this out.

The whine my wheel made was certainly annoying for me, but the tech said in a few more months it would have been very loud to anyone trying to watch TV. New color wheels use an "air bearing" (no idea what that means) and supposedly will never make that noise.

Username: Xiphias

Post Number: 2
Attn: post reader
mind if I ask what the cost was, installed, for the BP96-00674A?

Post Reader
Unregistered guest
The part was $160 and the labor was $60, which was covered by my warranty.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us