Cannot tell much difference between s-vid and component!!

Username: Ceaton

Post Number: 1
Hey guys.. I just bought a new dvd recorder (Panasonic DMR-e55) which has progressive scan capabilities. I bought this player to hook to my TV (JVC AV-48WP30). I bought some $20 component cables (DT9DC) from good ol wal-mart. I hooked up both component and s-vid to compare picture quality and finally to see what hdtv looked like on this tv. Wasnt very impressed, actually was disappointed with the results. The s-video seemed to have brighter colors, whereas the component was much darker, and not alot of color. Now, i went through and adjusted the color on my tv, didnt help a whole lot.

Is it the cheap component cables? My dvd player settings? TV not adjusted right? I, like alot of other ppl are confused when it comes to hdtv settings. I read somewhere that my tv upconverts to 1080i, is that a reason why i cant see a huge difference in picture quality.

Post Number: 2
After looking through some of my dvd settings, i ran across the tv screen settings, which asks me to choose what type of tv i have. I know its a 16:9, but what output do i chose for that ration? 480i or 480p? Considering my tv upconverts to 1080i, which would be the best setting for my dvd, or does any of that even matter?

Post Number: 3
Bump

I could really use some help here!!!!!!!!

Frank N.
Unregistered guest
Always choose the highest quality setting on your DVD player, which in your case, is 480P. If it can go higher (720P or 1080i), then choose that. You should notice a significant improvement in picture quality if your DVD player is outputting 480P or 720P.

Post Number: 4
I am running it at 480p, still has poor quality color...cables you think?

And how can i use the capability of my tv with 1080i? My dvd player will only give me 480? Do i need to get a different dvd player that outputs 1080?

Mr Sparks
Unregistered guest
DVD is 480p or 480i. 480p looks much better as it is not interlaced - with 480 progressive you get all 480 lines of resolution at once. I have an excellent picture from a $99 pioneer progressive scan DVD player using $20 component cables to my rca HDTV. I don't have an upconverting DVD player.

If you want to see HDTV hook up an HD source such as HD cable.

I've not noticed much difference between cables.
$20-$40 cables should be fine.

If you get a bad picture it's probably your set-up.

Make sure your DVD is set to output progressive (480p) and you are plugging into a good component input, capable of 480p, on your HDTV.

Is it possible the input you used on your HDTV does not handle 480p or that your setup on the DVD player is not setup for progressive?

Mr Sparks

Post Number: 5
I have 2 component inputs on my tv which are auto sensing inputs (whatever that means). Here are a few more things my tv offers.

Picture enhancements: Digital Super Detail, D.I.S.T. 1080i (Digital Image Scaling Technology).

Comb filter: (4 MEGA 10 BIT 3D Y/C comb filter)
• Horizontal resolution: 1,080 lines
• Scan velocity modulation: Yes (defeatable)
• Line doubling: Yes

Assuming my tv has that resolution, i think it accepts the 480p signal i am giving it.

I can also see the scan lines in darker areas on the screen? Any idea what that could be? Its pretty faint, but i can notice it.

Im gonna be ordering hdtv channels through my cable company real soon ( at least b4 nascar starts :D ). I guess i will see the real 1080 since no dvd is capable of that?

Also, can someone elighten me on what upconverting is? My tv upconverts, i just dont understand that i guess.

Thanks for all the help.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us