1 HDMI But 2 Digital Sources; What to do?

Username: Shawna

Post Number: 1
Hello:

Let me first say that I am glad I found this forum as there are soo much good and real information. I am very new to the home theater scene especially HDTV.

I am in the process of buying a 52HM84 Toshiba 52" HDTV with DLP display and a Toshiba DVD with 1080i / 720p upconversion. I have a 6.1 Panasonic Digital Receiver and a Polk Audio Surround sound.

My problem is the DLP has only 1 HDMI connection. I have two sources of video: Time Warner HD Box with DVI, s-video, or component and the DVD player with HDMI, s-video, or component. I am/would love to take use of the TV's HDMI but not sure where to spread the love? To the cable box or the DVD player? I purposely got the DVD player to utilize the HDMI but I am having 2nd thoughts now that I found out that I got only one HDMI/DVI input. Should I consider a different TV? Not sure what to do :-(

Anonymous

Unless to get buy an HDMI switch - you simply need to prioritize your true HD signal which would require a DVI to HDMI run from cable box to TV, with a separate audio run (since the source is DVI). That s/b your optimized run as that is where the super high quality HD signal will flow

You should then run a pure component run from DVD player to TV. In fact it will make little difference, because DVD (no matter how much line doubling/upscaling etc) its still far below the HD standard

Of course when HD-DVD arrives in 2005, you will definitely want HDMI/DVI type A/B switches

Username: Shawna

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your response.

So, since I have only 1 HDMI connection on my TV, going with the Toshiba 1080i/720p upconversion is pointless. I typically enjoy my movies more but if using my HDMI on my DVD player won't really net many gains then I guess I will use it on my cable box (still worried because it will be a DVI->HDMI connection and read some bad stuff about that) and get another DVD player.

I guess I could do some testing but returning electronics isn't fun :-(

Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us