Mits 52725 or 52825? Help a buyer out...?

Username: Cbhmn

Post Number: 1
In Minnesota, and likely now to purchase from Ultimate. Could your advice (and receipt too : ).

1. Anyone else struggle through the purchasing dilemma of the 725 vs 825? What swayed you?

2. Have heard of problems with the 825 and recording off of DirectTV, which I'll plan to use. Any comments?

3. Am building a Theatre wall to place this unit in... any concerns with how high it sits? Can it be 36" or more off the ground?

Love this site, and the dedicated posts... thanks for all your shared knowledge and efforts.

Username: Ben1db

Post Number: 1
I just purchased a 52725 yesterday in the Dallas area. On sale for $3100 and $350 for a 5 year extended warranty which included unlimited bulb replacement. I really didn't consider the 52825 because I thought the added cost for it was primarily for the hard-drive and recording ability (but looks good too). I already am hooked up thru satellite so I have 100 hrs of recording anyway. It would be nice to have but just did'nt think it was worth paying extra.

The bulb cooling fan is in the middle of the very rear so I would be careful putting this unit in an enclosed cabinet if thats what your building. Make some phone calls first.By the way, I read many posts that complained of the fan noise and was unsure about this issue. I can hear it but I don't think it will take away from the sound. It's almost exactly as loud as my computer fan as I sit here and type. Good Luck and Happy New Year.

Post Number: 2
Do others have insight into putting the 725 or 825 into a cabinet? I'm contemplating an open shelf set up... as well as a cabinet opening arrangement.

I assume the bulb cooling fan needs space to do its work? Any comments on how much space it needs?

I'm not too worried about fan noise, but have read some complaints here.

Thx for the post!

tedfarkas
Unregistered guest
Re: 725 vs 825: The hard drive in the 825 will pause & record from the built-in tuner only, so if you are using a satellite receiver with video outputs, you are wasting your money. Wish I had known this before I blew an extra $8-900 (62825)on something I cannot use.

Post Number: 3
Obviously, I'm a naive newbie on this forum...anybody have comments on the appropriate viewing length from a 52"?

62"?

Username: Mr_daniel

Houston, TX United States

Post Number: 2
check out this post
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/111827.html

Post Number: 5
I've yet to hear any reason to buy a 825 when there are so many problems with the PVR. Dissenters?

Post Number: 5
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Dissenters%3F

i'm not quite sure where you are going w/ that one...

anyhow, the main problem isn't that the tv is having problems w/ the pvr, but that service providers and end-users aren't as up-to-par as the tv is. keep in mind that this tv has all the digital inputs on it that are currently available for high-end audio/video. the problem is, just like i am having to deal w/ Time Warner, the providers of the boxes (ie, cable or satellite) do not offer tech support or firmware updates for the firewire (IEEE1394) or HDMI video outputs. therefore, taking full advantage of what the PVR is capable of is not something that is easily done at this time. as service providers update the boxes and actually take the time to turn on the digital video outputs and make them compatible according to FCC regulations, there will be less and less issues w/ taking advantage of the PVR capabilities that the diamond series dlp's from mitsubishi offer. each person deciding to purchase this tv should take the time to contact thier service provider and find out whether or not they have full firewire and HDMI support for the converters they offer.

Post Number: 6
also, the PVR does not pause and record from the built in tuner only, but from any analog a/v source other than component video and from HDMI. also, via firewire it can not only pause and record but also transfer control commands thereby allowing it to change channels and to set the pvr to record from your set top box (cable or sattelite) in analog or full HD.

Username: Hazey

Post Number: 6
What store did you purchase your 52725 from?

Lampright
Unregistered guest
I purchased the 52725 because the 825 isn't worth the extra money...plus I got an open box for $2700. After using a cablecard in my 725 I'm very happy I didn't buy the 825. Comcast must not be sending menu data through the cablecard, because my TV is almost not usable with cablecard...no tv guide...and I cannot program the channels so it won't even let me switch channels by entering the channel number...it's really strange.
I also have a motorola HD DVR through comcast that only costs $10/month and records HD. It works ALMOST as good as my DirecTV Tivo did. I switched to Comcast because there was no way I was going to shell out $1000 for an HD Tivo for DirecTV. Plus, Comcast gave an incredible deal to switch over.

SethR
Unregistered guest
Just a quick correction as to Mr. Daniel's post regarding the ability of the 825 series to record from HDMI.

This is not the case. The HDCP protection scheme does not permit the A/V disc (as it's called by Mits) to record from any digital source except for CableCard and Firewire. Currently, no cable or satellite STB's can output Firewire.

You need not look any further than the 825 series user manual to confirm this information, as I have owned one and can attest to this limitation.

Therefore, should you have satellite service (or don't wish to use a CableCard) you will be limited to either analog S-Video or composite output to the television for recording purposes. Furthermore, all recordings will need to be set by date and time and will limit the set to have the recording source active, similar to the limited programmability and single tuner viewing of a VCR.

Finally, it is noteworthy that Mits still has not released the software upgrade for TV Guide On Screen, which is supposedly going to link to the A/V disc for "Tivo like" functionality via CableCard and many wonder whether the upgrade will ever be released. Despite Mits advertising that this feature is included, an insert is enclosed with the set stating that it is not available and will be released in the future.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us