KDF60XS955

Username: Ptk

Post Number: 1
Hi All,

I have purchased KDF60XS955. I bought this on sort of impulse by looking at quality in show room. I was about to buy DLP based product.

I am going to get this TV delivered tomorrow. Any good or bad experiences ?

Also I plan to use regular progressive scan DVD player with 480p - till I buy true HDMI compliant 1080i DVD player (panasonic is what I have in mind). The question I have in this regard is, will quality be poor if I use progressive scan player with component video. Also when I buy HDMI compliant player, how do I hook it with my regular home theatre ?

Thanks,

ptk

tnbubba
Unregistered guest
purvesh, i purchased this set last week and so far so good. just have basic cable and getting hdtv and digital over the outside ant. very good quality.

Anonymous

I am in the same boat as Purvesh.

However, I purchased the KDF55WF655.

I am going with the HD cable route. Any tips on setup to get the best possible picture for HD, Standard Cable, Digital Cable, DVD would be appreciated.

I have Sony everything including 5.1 surround sound system, DVD, VCR.

Post Number: 2
Thanks all. Seems that my impulse decision was correct - got the TV delivered, hooked up SD receiver directly using regular A/V cables and quality is good. I will get s-video cable today from best buy (unfortunately my receiver currently only supports s-video)

I am going to purchase HD receiver from Dish network. I have sony home theatre system (5.1) . I will feed in DVI-D output from receiver to TV and audio to the surround system. Also I have external antenna which I will feed directly to TV and take audio out and feed it to theatre system.

As far as DVD player I have old 480p scan receiver. I will stikc with for some time.

-ptk

Username: Cyfairslam

Houston, Texas USA

Post Number: 1
I posted earlier as anonymous. It was my first time so I didn't have the name set up correctly.

Thanks Purvesh for the input.

I am confused on how to handle the set up with the home theater system. My Sony theater system was set up before as a hub. The DVD and VCR go through it and then to the TV.

The KDF55WF655 manual does not address that type of hookup so I am still not sure how to proceed but my trial and error.

Does the audio output of the KDF55WF655 support 5.1 surround sound? Should all components be connected directly to the TV and the audio come out of the TV to the surround sound system?

Post Number: 3
Hi,

I had the same setup - my home theatre system as hub - my sat receiver, my VCR were going thru the home theatre system.

I looked at the documentation. Here's the way I will connect :

Connect SAT TV Receiver to HDMI(1) i/p of TV. Audio from receiver will go to home theatre.

Connect VCR to TV (or Home theatre - doesn't matter). Take audio out from TV and hook up to home theatre.

Connect DVD's DVI-D to HDMI(2) and Audio to home threatre.

Connect Component out from Home theatre to TV.

Regards,

Purvesh

Post Number: 5
Hi Cyfairslam,

I got my setup up and running. I still have my old sat receiver - so I ended with following :

DVD player's HDMI (yes LG DVD player with HDMI) to Video 7.

DVD player's optical audio out to my home theatre's optical in.

Sat receiver's s-video to s-video

Sat receiver's audio to home theatre's audio in.

VCR's video out to TV's video in

VCR's audio to home theatre

Indoor antenna to TV's antenna in.

BTW HDTV is fantastic !!!!! nothing sort of fantastic. I am really enjoying it!!!

-purvesh

Houston, Texas USA

I got my setup up and running as well. I am very happy with the quality of all the signals. I agree the HDTV is fantastic.

My concern for the home theater was a no brainer. The system I have did not have the digital video inputs. So I ran only sound to the home theater.

My setup:

HD Cable Box - HDMI to Video 7
HD Cable Box audio out via digital out and cable to home theater.
HD Cable Box to VCR/DVD Combo via coaxial cable
DVD/VCR combo video and audio to TV via RGB cables
DVD/VCR combo audio to Home Theater via digital out

Everything works fine and looks and sounds great.

Here is the only problem that I have encountered that I have yet to figure out.

I split the cable with one going to the HDTV cable box and the other going to the cable coaxial spot on the TV. Now on my other TVs with this same cable I can get about 70 channels. With the new KDF55WF655 it will only find 26 channels. I have not worked the problem that hard, but any idea what might be the solution to get the 70 channels.

Unregistered guest
Bought KDF60XS955 from Circuit City 12/29/04
Got matching Sony stand SU-GW12
Total incl. tax $4384.14
Refused extended warranty because electronics work or don't right? And with my Amex I double the 90 day warranty...

Set it up and the stand looks great. The picture was nice for about 12 hrs, then the darn display went frtiz-o. LED near power switch is red when off, then goes blinking-grn when pressed on and you hear the fan and see the not-quite-black display. After a few minutes the LED goes solid grn and you see skinny vertical colored bars on the display. This condition is regardless of input and even the menu can't be displayed. The problem is clearly with the inards of the unit, maybe the LCD controllers? I spent 25 min with the pointless Sony troubleshooting phone center and got the guy to agree I needed service. All he did was follow some computer prompts. I really wish they could have good technicians on the other end, but at least this confirmed that the reset procedures wouldn't help and this isn't a common/fixable problem. I called Circuit City and they will swap it out for me. I'm glad I didn't buy online and have this happen.

Has anyone heard of the the vertical color lines as a display failure? Any ideas on why it takes a fee minutes to show up? It's as if the LCD controller tries and evetually fails to start-up, eventually going into a comforting? colored-bar output mode to show that all three LCD colors are working.

Username: Drev

MI USA

Post Number: 3
I had purchased a KDF-55XS955(12/26)very happy with the unit. Spent a lot time "lurking as a troll" on this forum. Found this forum very imformitive, better than the sales persons on the floor I went to.

Anonymous

Smart thing to avoid warranties, however it drives the brainwashed sales staffs a bit crazy

As for online buys, its generally better for any consumer electronics item that doesn't require a FORK LIFT TO MOVE.

That immediately rules out large CRT TV's and most large rear projection TV's -whether they be CRT's, DLP or LCD's

Note some shippers just leave it at the curb. Imagine a 250 lb MIT TV at the curbside. I guess you might just roll it in somehow

Recorders, front projectors, audio receivers etc, lend themselves well to online buying and shipping

Post Number: 6
Hi Guys,

I had excellent break, had friends over and they were gaga over the TV. The problem is viewing distance. I had about 10/11 ft. viewing distance and that hurt my eyes bad. No I have have about 15 ft. of viewing distance, the eyes still hurt but not that much. Any good recommendations on viewing distancces ?

Thanks,

Purvesh

Houston, Texas USA

Post Number: 4
Hey Purvesh,

I know you have the 60" version. I have the 55" version and it is just about right for my living room. I think I could have gotten by with the 50" version.

It is amazing though. If you are like me, I started out looking at the 42" version. By the time I made my purchase I couldn't understand how anyone could purchase a 42" set. It goes to show you, you just cannot judge in a show room what size of big screen TV you need.

The football games in HD are truly amazing. I have had the set for 4 days now and I have just now quit admiring the picture and actually watching the shows. I hope the Masters is televised in HD, can't wait for that.

Username: Aceman

viewing distance -
Purvesh - i have the 60 and watch from 11-12ft adn haven't had any issues with that distance and eye fatigue. did you try going to reduce power???

aceman

Post Number: 8
Yes , I have in pro mode, brightness to low etc...

But definately my eyes get tired in hour or so of watching the TV .

-Purvesh

stevie d
Unregistered guest
hi maybe this is a stupid question, but I have the 60 xs and the sony 975 with hdmi output.
My question is when I want to watch the dvd I have to push the tv/video button seven times to get to video 7 is there an easier way just to have video 7 come up with one push of the button
thanks for the help

Unregistered guest
Stevie D

There is a way to nullify the unused video inputs. I saw this in the manual but since my set broke I haven't tried it.

Unregistered guest
I'd also like to know how to nullify the unused video inputs on the KDF60XS955, I have not seen it in the manual. It is annoying to have to push tv/video so many times. Has anyone had any luck?

Unregistered guest
Stevie D, I found it in the manual. Check out page 109 in your manual, when you lable the video inputs as "Skip" it will skip them when you press the tv/video button. That will prevent having to go through all the unused video inputs when switching between dvd and cable etc.

ISH
Unregistered guest
I have questions about hooking up my newly purchased Sony 42" Plasma and the rest of my system. Here is what I have:

Sony 42" Plasma
HD Cable Box
Panasonic Surround Sound Receiver
Panasonic 5 Disc CD/DVD Player
Panasonic DVD Recorder
Center Speaker, Left & Right Front Speakers, Left & Right Rear Spreaker and Subwoofer.

Here is what I was going to do, any problems with this? (haven't done it yet as I'm waiting for my TV Stand to come in the mail).

Connect HD Cable Box to TV using HDMI(?) cable
Connect Both DVD Players' Video cables to TV
Connect Both DVD Players' Audio cables to Receiver (one has optical audio cable)
Connect Audio cables from TV to Surround Sound Receiver
Connect speakers & Sub to receiver

Is any of this wrong? Am I forgetting some basic stuff? Thanks to anybody who can shed some light.

SilentMan
Unregistered guest
Hi!
I'm in the market for a 60" LCD Rear Projector. What is the difference between the KDF60XS955 and the KDF60WF955. Is the XS worth the money over the WF?

thank you

Granpinga
Unregistered guest
Still debating whether I will purchase the Sony WF or XS 60 inch. After much research, Sony LCD projection is my choice, just don't know which one.

Username: Mountain_fever

Diamond Springs, CA USA

I just bought the 55XS. My understanding of the differences to the WE/F are: 2X HDMI instead of 1; Upgraded sound system; Digital Reality Feature, which is supposed to improve NON-HD programming (which I wanted as I am limited on min viewing distance).

My only complaint is with tech-support who know less than me. I am having trouble getting the HDMI input 7 to operate. No picture or sound with DVI-to-HDMI (+RCA Audio) connections. And, if you have the space, the style is more than a box.

I think the XS is worth the $$$$

Username: Waders

OKC, OK USA

Post Number: 5
SilentMan......

The XS is worth the money. You get 10 speakers instead of just six and you will be glad you have the two HDMI inputs for your dvd player and your digital cable box plus much more.

Wader
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us