Awesome Deal???

Username: S_mack

Post Number: 1
I went a little nuts with the whole Boxing Day sales at Futureshop (Canada).

Ok, first off.. I've been looking at getting a wide-screen tv for about 5 years now and I keep talking myself out of it for various reasons. This year I was determined... and I've been doing my research and leaning toward DLP.

I knew I wanted a smaller rather than larger tv due to the size of my room, so I knew I wouldn't be going bigger than 50 inches (and that's too big). I found a beautiful Toshiba that looked very slick, a 44" model called the 44NHM84. I talked them down to $2700 including the matching stand and I took it. Today they had their boxing day blowouts and I saw they were pricing it at that same level... but I also saw their blockbuster deal - a 43" Samsung model HLN4365WX for an amazing $1300 off bringing the price to $1999 (all Canadian dollars). Unfortunately, they sold out like nuts, both online and in store. But wait! I went back to the sold-out webpage some time in the afternoon and for whatever reason, it said "quantity 1". So without thinking, I bought it.

Ok, so now I have two DLP tvs on the way... neither has arrived and one has to go back (unless someone wants to make me a deal). I'm thinking the Toshiba is probably a better tv, but I don't really know. If it is - is it worth the extra $700??? Ok, not really $700 I guess because it included the stand but that can't be worth that much.

Opinions? I haven't been able to find too many reviews on the Toshiba. Lots on the Samsung and they are all pretty great except that I see they date mostly back in late 2003, which makes me wonder if the technology has improved in the following year. The Toshiba (if the salesperson is right) is pretty new on the market.

Thanks for the help.

-Steve

Meps1968
Unregistered guest
Bought a 52" Toshiba DLP (52HM84) at Leon's for 2999.99 CDN (including stand) on Boxing day...Could not be happier...I little ticked at Starchoice, limited HD channels.

Toshiba DLP's are 1st generation and are using HD2+chip. Samsung (3rd generation) has had a tough year, many probs...Panasonic are supposed to be good, using 8-seg wheel (more colours)?...Let your eyes be the judge!

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us