Xbox DVD player, is it crap?

Username: Kdog01

Post Number: 1
I have a 42in Toshiba HDTV and I love the HDTV broadcasts, they are awesome.

However, when I play my DVD's on my xbox or even a toshiba DVD player with Monster cables, i am very dissappointed with the quality.

Should I get a certain dvd player? How can I make the quality better? Should I go for upconversion, will that help?

Anonymous

The XBox DVD player can be extremely good. Out of the box is not that great as it is a 480i (interlaced) player. If you have a "modded" XBox (with a mod chip) then you can not only make it output 480p (progressive) but also upscaled resolutions (720p and 1080i). Of course you will need the HD pack for the XBox to connect to your HDTV. And the XBox Media Center (open source, you can download off the web).
This is what I have at home and it puts out an excellent picture, au par to any of the upscaling DVD players in the market and without all the issues reported by their owners.

Anonymous

Modded XBoxes are not allowed on XBox Live & the XBox DVD system will not play recordable DVD disks (e.g. Rips & home movies)...

Username: Booker21

I do use my Xbox for DVD player and it is true it doesn`t have the best quality but they are really good.

Since i have a modded xbox and i don`t see a lot of DVD i`m very happy with it.

Username: Djboogie

Bhm, Al US

Post Number: 2
"Modded XBoxes are not allowed on XBox Live & the XBox DVD system will not play recordable DVD disks (e.g. Rips & home movies)..."

Yes you can go on xbox live with a modded xbox, just make sure the chip is disabled and the hdd you are using is locked, AND OF COURSE the xbox dvd player can play ripped movies!! there are 4 brands of xbox dvd drive, it depends on which drive you have and what media you use (samsung drive is the best) Get your facts right dude

Brunhilde
Unregistered guest
It kicks the butt of the PS2's DVD player, that's for sure!

Anonymous

"Yes you can go on xbox live with a modded xbox, just make sure the chip is disabled and the hdd you are using is locked..."

Yes and no... Theres alot of theories on how XBL detects the fact that youre on a modded box... Just turning the chip off and making sure the drive is locked still leaves you open to other ways of detection... That and all the updates from Xbox live have more cracks in each update... so if you do try to go on XBL with a modded box, you HAVE to stay updated with the latest dashboards and protections... Besides, about 95% of people who try it do get banned... I wouldn't suggest trying it at all...

Anonymous

"there are 4 brands of xbox dvd drive..."

Actually, theres only 3...

Anonymous

lol, i think rich s has to get HIS facts straight!

Bhm, Al US

Post Number: 3
mr annonymous
ok look, before you reply to threads, do some research.
I have been modding xbox's for 2 and half years, and have modded well over 100.
Late 2004 xbox were being shipped with the hitachi /LG dvd drive, it reads discs similar to the thompson, but has a much better build quality.
I have modded half a dozen xbox or so, which have this dvd drive in.
You probably need a link to verify this as you obviously cannot do research yourself
http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEpuEkpllZviIGdspV.php
so there are 4 DRIVES.
samsung
thompson (which is crap)
philips
hitachi/lg

satisfied now?

btw, if you mod your xbox and add a new hdd, if you havent yet signed up with xbox live, youre fine. When you register to live, the eeprom of the hard drive you use is also registered. If you change that drive for another, then the eeprom settings dont match.

krycek2038
Unregistered guest
Why is the Thomson drive considered crap? Is this based on lifespan/performance? Compatibility with burnt media or combination of? I'm looking to replace my drive, have an unmodded xbox, and so I only play original games. If the Thomson drive will give me another year or 2 of use out of my xbox for cheap, then I'm happy

ceadmilefailteromhat
Unregistered guest
How do you tell what kind of drive your xbox has and whether it will play ripped DVDs or what it takes to get it to play ripped DVDs?

Bhm, Al US

Post Number: 4
Hi
The Problem with the thompson is the build quality isnt very good. When its READING a disc, it does pretty good, except with cd media. But not all xbox thompson drives are created equal, and often they start with the dreaded DD error. Generally speaking if you get dirty disc errors on your xbox, its a thompson drive. BUT having said that, its also very cheap to get one on ebay, and It should easily get you through to the next xbox hardware:-)
To find out what drive you have go here
http://llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/xbox_dvd_version_comparison.htm
The Hitachi / LG drive is similar to the thompson tray, but a little wider.
You wont need a modded xbox to play ripped dvd movies. If yo uuse ritek g04, g05, sony oem dvd-r then you should be fine for all the drive versions.
Remember too that it DOES depend on your burner and firmware.
Example: I burned velocity dvd+r 8x on my pioneer 106 (RPC firmware) and it wouldnt play on my xbox, BUT the exact same media burned on my NEC 3520A with 1.25 firmware , played just fine.

Daniel V
Unregistered guest
Rich S, I have a question for you, the sooner you can reply is better... when replacing your xbox DVD drive with one of the other 4 standard drives, do you need a mod chip? For example, my thompson drive went bad and I either want a samsung, phillips, or hitachi drive to replace it, but I don't want to do any modding. So in summary I just want to do a drive swap then close the case and be done, is that possible?

-Daniel

Anonymous919231
Unregistered guest
Daniel -
Yes

Username: Wiggum

Post Number: 4
You can put any drive you want into your xbox...

I put a Samsung 616T Drive into mine... that is a PC drive... a lil simple case modding and some soldering (which was not done by me i bought it modded) and walla... an xbox that runs amazing and will play almost anything...

What i will say is the Thompson drive is junk... the Phillips appears that way... the Sammy is the way to go... either the stock sammy or the 616 that i put in it...

Also i have never seen the LG drive... but thats cool to know MS stopped using the other ones...

BEN

Sumit
Unregistered guest
hey I was wondering what type of drive I have because On the picture for the sammy the holes are huge i have to small holes so which drive do i have

Anonymous

what dvd format (DVD+R, DVD-R) does the Samsung drive play? I ripped my wedding DVD but it wouldn't play in my modded XBOX DVD player but the original would.

Username: Nss1rar

Post Number: 2
WHAT FORMAT IS BEST FOR BACKUP GAMES ON THOMPSON DRIVE?

ogbuehi
Unregistered guest
How do you mod your xbox to play in 720p/1080i mode?

joe_manthei
Unregistered guest
i am a newb so be warned-
that being said i have tried to mod my xbox with the xenium ice and i got that done without a hitch. but then i tried to rip a bios to a cd and my phillips drive wouldn't read it. so i tried a pot screw adjustment but screwed up my drive. which drive would be best to do what i need it to?

Unregistered guest
I'm using arita's RITEKG05 dvd's and it is playing every xbox-backup.Only make sure you have the right backup !!

Unregistered guest
My dvd drive went bad on my xbox and I was looking for a new one when I stumbled upon this forum. I opened up my xbox to get my dvds out, darn two year old decided to pull it open and closed and see how much stuff he could cram into it. I noticed it was a toshiba drive before I buttoned it up, hoping it would work again. Alas, I need to buy a new drive. But when do get the new drive I will post the numbers off the old drive. I guess this adds to the list of drives xbox is using.

Unregistered guest
Phillips dvds are the best, especially part # x00624-006. Hitatchi dvds are not that bad but are not recommended for people who play there xbox for long periods of time, they have timeout errors. Samsungs get jammed all the time and u will have to open them manually most of the time. Thompsons SUCK and are not recommended for anyone for any reason. I repair Xboxs for Microsoft so if u have any more questions please feel free to ask me or e-mail me

Doro626
Unregistered guest
I use Sony DVD-R media and they work fine. My X-Box is really old (unmodded), but I get nary a hiccup. It also plays damaged DVD masters that my Toshiba has problems with.

Anonymous

well..i shoulda googled this before i cracked the case and swapped...(dont mean to be condensending but..) the xbox repair guy or anyone know what my problem is. i swapped a tommy for a hitachi (unknowingly of this problem). its a few days later and bam...the hitachi wont read worth crap. i think it locked itself and now it displays the infamous cant recognize disk message. any help? thanks

Anonymous

Does anyone know if you can make an xbox region free?? If yes do you know the code?
Cause I have a bunch of region 2 dvds that i can't play so its kinda anoying.

Anonymous

If you have a modded xbox, you can use the application called DVDX2-Dongle Free, which will play DVDs no matter what region they are and will also play backups. You can find the software on Xbins.

ogbuehi
Unregistered guest
So nobody knows how to mod the xbox to upconvert dvd's to 1080i/720p? I went to Korea for a week and went to about 10 different xbox mod shops and nobody heard of this upconvert thing. These guys were selling xbox's with 200GB hard drives with 50 games installed on them already. I've tried using search engines and nothing comes up. The mod sites are too cryptic to get a real understanding of modding an xbox.

Unregistered guest
hey Kevin, this might seem really obvious and maybe you've already done it, but with your DVD player you should pick up the Component (not composite) cables, which are the best without going to DVI. also, you can pick up the xbox HDTV kit for about $20 USD. like I said, you've probably already done this, but if not, you'll get much better quality

Unregistered guest
I was just reading some of the posts in this forum, and couldn't help but wonder how ignorant some of the posts are. I modded my first XBOX in DEC 2001 with a TSOP flash. I still have that XBOX, which plays progressive scan DVDs, including DVD+R/-R, etc. without a problem(although the bit rate on most burned DVDS is low).

Since then, I have modded two other XBOX's,for my house. One with an Xecuter 3CE, which works fine on Xbox Live with a 250GB WD harddrive, and another one that has an Alladdin Advance XT chip, and 120GB Seagate drive. Two of them have Thompson DVD drives, which I have replaced on both, and one has a Phillips.

You can do just about anything you want to an xbox. I have Linux installed on the Xecuter, usb keyboard and mouse, internet browser, etc. I have a fourth XBOX on the bench getting a 128MB RAM upgrade, and 1.4GHz Celeron processor.

Before you form opinions that might effect others unknowledgable views or expectations, why not type the question, just as you read it, into your search engine, and spend an hour or so reading about it. Could stop someone from thinking your name is BUCK or Cooder.

go to LLAMA.COM, XBOX-SCENE.COM, OR TEAM-XECUTER.COM to learn about XBOX mods, use their links, and visit some techical forums.

Anyway, just passing through, I'll probably never come through here again, so C-YA!

Unregistered guest
One more quick note... to follow up on what bluecheez was saying...

You don't have to MOD an xbox to use 480p/720p/1080i

All you have to do is buy the high def XBOX kit from your closest walmart, plug it in, hook up the component video to your TV, enter the video menu on the xbox dashboard, and enable all the resolutions you wish to use. Like he said, costs about 20 bucks, plus you'll need some component cables, and an optical cable to use DTS/Dolby digital.

I might come back to read about the "XBOX doesn't work with DTS" posts that follow this :-)

Unregistered guest
LMP -- Not entirely true about xbox's ability to display 480p/720p/1080i. While what you said is true for GAMES, if you're asking about available resolution for playing DVDs (which I think was the original question), I understand that the best you can get without modding is 480i.

Unregistered guest
Thank you gruvn, you are correct. I was bored a few days after posting this, and tested the actual signal... You need to use Xbox Media Center, or something simular to get high def. I never had an unmodded Xbox, not more than a couple weeks anyway, and never really used one. You can use 007 everyting or nothing, or agent under fire to flash your tsop. All you have to do is remove the flash protect from the mother board. It is really easy, and doesn't cost anything., but isn't as nice as a good chip.

Thanks fro pointing that out, I meant to come back here and correct myself.

LMP

anonononon
Unregistered guest
w00t i can post being anon. cool.
get an xbox high def kit from a good game shop. dont try and mod your xbox unless you are a pro at it. i scrwed my xbox like that :-(

Unregistered guest
Do you have to have a mod chip to make the Xbox region free or is there another way of doing it?

Thanks,
Andrew

Unregistered guest
Hello. I recently bought an xbox from someone on ebay. I bought this xbox knowing that I might not work right, and was hoping that there was an easy way to fix it. This xbox was made in 2001 and when I turn it on there is no xbox live option on the main menu. (By the way I don't know much about xboxes so please understand. It can play some DVDs but not others but when I put the disc in a restart my xbox all DVDs work this way. No games work at all and I am getting the Dirty Disc Error. Do you guys think that a cleaning CD would fix this problem? Or maybe a cheap way to fix this, and maybe update the Xbox's OS or something?

Anonymous

how do i make my xbox region free with out a modchip

plz post back soon if u know or email me on dancomish@iinet.net.au

taf=dr
Unregistered guest
will unmodded xboxes play backed dvd-r games

cooldude
Unregistered guest
i have an xbox that came with a samsung drive but if i leave a game in the xbox while it is turned off and then turn my xbox back on without opening the disk tray the xbox sits for a while and then says that it cant read the disk. but if i open the tray when i turn it on and then close it at the menu it works perfectly fine. is this regular or irregular? also my halo2 works for a while and then sometimes the sound goes for a second or it freezes for like 3 seconds at most but only on normal or heroic difficulty is it just the disk? or the drive?

LinkinDude
Unregistered guest
I have a smal question which I am sure someone already posted but I never read it:-).

I have an un-modded Xbox and am wondering if I can burn a DVD/Game on a certain format and play it on the unmodded Xbox. If so, what formats currently work with the Xbox and what burning software will work. I currently have Nero Xpress and Alcohol %120.

I appreciate all the help.

LinkinDude
Unregistered guest
For the record, my Xbox DVD drive is a Samsung.

Usman J
Unregistered guest
hi... my xbox is a year old... and recently it stopped playing some DVD's, ones that used to work fine before. The xbox just loads up the main bios and doesnt detect the DVD, some dvd's work but the video is very choppy, and some games run slow too. Would using a cleaning cd fix this, or do i need to pop the hood?

Ryan Dunn
Unregistered guest
I work for teleplan, the xbox repair plant, and I hate to break it to you guys but the best dvd drive is the phillips version 6(32B). The samsung drives always go out. The thompsons you should all know blow a fatty. The Hitachi isnt half bad, but mine wont read burnt cds, only burnt dvds.

Anonymous

noobs

Anonymous

noobs/10 year olds

Anonymous

noobs/10 year olds

Reinhart
Unregistered guest
My current X-Box has the Samsung DVD-ROM drive. The console was purchased used and I ended up having to replace the optical pickup. So far, the drive does read very well with all sorts of media and hasn't given me problems since the repair.

Of course, this is but one experience. There will likely be lots of people who have had both good and bad experiences with Samsung drives. I've certainly read through quite a few of them.

Samsung generally doesn't make very good DVD products. Their DVD transports have been some of the worst in terms of reliability. Some infamous examples include a good number of their DVD players both in the past and currently.

Philips, IMO, is also hit and miss, but a bit better than Samsung in general.

Hitachi/LG, same deal, although information for me is still limited at this point. But, computer DVD-ROM drives from Hitachi/LG have been fairly good.

Worst drive is, of course, Thomson. What do you expect from a company that makes RCA DVD players? I've had a chance to dissect a Thomson drive. The traverse mechanism is nice and simple with a durable brushless spindle motor, but that's all that I can say about it without being venomous. The optical pickup is one of the worst I've seen with too many optical parts exposed to the outside where it's vulnerable to dust and other airbourne contaminants. Notably, the photosensors are exposed to the outside in such a way that it can accumulate dust rather easily. Other optical parts, including fixed mirrors, fixed lenses, and etc. are vulnerable to damage from airbourne contaminants.

Now, there is one company that would've made the best X-Box DVD-ROM drives: Pioneer. Their transports are generally VERY reliable, VERY fast, and will read just about anything. Another good choice for X-Box would've been Lite-On, as they make drives for cheap but with surprisingly good reliability and performance with readability. Dare I say it, perhaps Lite-On is superior to any of the manufacturers that make drives for Microsoft's X-Box.

But, of course, Lite-On and Pioneer would never be hired to make X-Box drives. Pioneer would be too expensive. Lite-On would've been a possibility, but I don't think that Microsoft would be hunting for yet another OEM manufacturer for their disc drives at this time, considering that they just found Hitachi/LG. - Reinhart

Moe Green
Unregistered guest
Greetz,

I had a Thompson drive (April 2003 date on the sticker on the drive) that read DVD+R discs fine.. It got busted, so I replaced it with one from some dude on Ebay that had a Sept 2003 date on the sticker.. The new drive won't read the DVD+R discs that worked on the old drive..

Wouldn't this be a hardware BIOS issue in the Thompson drives? If so, wouldn't it be possible to somehow update/flash the Thompson drive BIOS to a version that would read DVD+R discs? Thanks...

coool
Unregistered guest
hi
i read somewhere that the brand new philips drives (version VAD6035/21) are as good as the old samsung drives but are better than the new samsung drives. how do i tell if i have a new samsung drive or an old one. (my xbox was made in july of 2003)

jekyll
Unregistered guest
I have a thompson drive in my box. Can I replace it with any xbox dvd drive? Or does it have to be another thompson?

Unregistered guest
what is involved in changing the dvd drive? i have evoX in it, is just a plug and play? do i need drivers? i have a brand new dvd drive out of a v1.6 box the hitachi 8050

Username: Wax302

Ga

hi all, new this forum
new to xbox
anyway I got a used non working xbox from a friend of mine with the intention of repairing it.
it powers up and goes to the startup screen where you see the xbox logo and have access to change the settings and options, it plays audio cds but reads nothing else, I figured that I could just replace the dvd drive and have a working xbox again.My real question is weather I can varify that the dvd drive is the only problem by testing the xbox with a dvd drive from one of my pc's before actually buying a new xbox dvd drive.... will the pc's dvd drive run an xbox game if plugged into an xbox without any type of modding to the drive or xbox ....... any feedback would be helpful .... I am ready to get this done

Unregistered guest
I have a Thompson drive in my Xbox. I don't ever plan on modifying the hardware, but I am *really* interested in watching home movies that I burn onto DVD+RW/+R discs. I don't care to play CD-R or burned Xbox games.

I just bought an external Sony DVD±RW/±R/CD [model DRX-800UL], and some Maxell DVD+R 4.7GB discs. My first attempt at burning a home video failed, as the Xbox wouldn't read the disc.

I've read about the problems with the Thompson drive, and have seen somewhat conflicting reports that some blank media may work on this Xbox drive.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments on this issue? Would upgrading the firmware on my DVD burner help?

I don't have Xbox Live, and never updated the Xbox firmware.

Like I said, I don't plan on Modding my Xbox, and would sooner purchase a new DVD player, but it would be great if I didn't have to squeeze another component in my living room.

Aside from the fact that I seemingly cannot play burned media, the Xbox DVD drive has been pretty solid. Before I began to use my Xbox as a dedicated DVD player in the living room, I went through two Sony DVD players, one of which *was* really nice. The drives just stopped reading clean DVDs. Cleaning the drive and discs didn't help.

Please let me know if you have any comments or suggestions.

- Michael

suzanne summers
Unregistered guest
hi big noob here

all i want to do is play a burned cd on my unmodded xbox. is it possbile and what cds work best.

president of newb club
Unregistered guest
^^^^i have a thompson drive.

vice pres of newb club
Unregistered guest
^^^^also does it matter what software i use. i have windows media player.

Unregistered guest
ok i just got my X-Box moded with an Xenium S and i find out now that i can't play any dvd movies or audio cd's in it. Is theire a way i can installe or upload a media player on it??? please e-mail me at grondinm@rogers.com if u can help. My xbox is v 1.0

newbie123
Unregistered guest
I replaced a 4 year old Thompson drive in my old XBOX with another cheap Thompson drive from ebay. Seems to work great so far without any problem and hope it stays that way. Are Thompson drives just plain bad or are there just bad batches just as with any other manufactured good?

Only problem I have with the Thompson drive is that it will not read through the protective DVD skins. Other XBOX drives don't seem to have this problem.

church priest tabernacle
Unregistered guest
anyone help

samsung novice
Unregistered guest
Eek! My Samsung DVD player jammed last night after the disk began to skip. Someone here mentioned manually opening the drawer. Does anyone know how to do that?

TheJT
Unregistered guest
It requires opening your xbox. Removing your samsung drive and using something like a straightend out paper clip and pushing the white emergency eject lever on the right hand side of the front of the drive.

FireFly
Unregistered guest
I got xbox and would like to mod it so i could play divx, xvid..etc

Anonymous

ROFFLE WOFFLE! LOOK AT ALL THE NOOBS! ROFL!

Username: Blackgore

Sunland, California Usa

Post Number: 6
Just got my X-Box Modded 250gb drive and new dashbaord ect. Unleash v0.38.0515a and I cannot play High def games anymore on my Plasma. I could before for example Dragons Lair 3D ran in 1080i and looked amazing and all games in general had black blacks hard and crisp. Now my black are more of a dark grey and Dragons Lair 3d is running in good old 480i like everything else. Using component cables still set the settings to alow 480p/720p and 1080i but cannot get it to do it? Tried usung retail games as well as the copys from HD not go either way. My Dragons Lair is retail by the way.

Anyone know if this is just the way it is or what I have tried everything. Its still no big deal im getting the 360 soon so my modded Xbox will be in bedroom soon on a standard tv and none of thos will matter, but would like to fix this. Thanks

Bhm, Al US

Post Number: 5
Ryan dunn
Hmm I have had my xbox since the day it came out
. Ive modded over 200, the best drive is the samsung, definately, but yes the philips is a good drive (albiet some problems with dvd-r depending on the media, burner and firmware)
But you know, all the dvd drives cost nex tto nothing now, I have 7 thomsons just hanging around doing nothing.
I have 3x 250gb drives in my xbox (use an xtender)
steve, ignore the settings, you still get HD, i had that tested by an ISF calibrator that came out to do my Pioneer 53 in HDTV, the output was HD even though the setting on the tv would let me adjust the convergence etc.

Unregistered guest
hey all i have a thompson drive and i just burned a game on a R+ dvd and it worked fine for the first few minutes..and the xbox was making weird noises and then i got an error message that the game was wither damaged or dirty....so i cleaned it and put it in again and it didnt give me another error message ...it was working just fine but the xbox was still making noises and it went a little slow....what kind of dvd is best for burnt games for thomson drive??? thanks..

suffererfromDD
Unregistered guest
I read all of the messages but could not find answer for my problem.Like the Dvd s format around the world , is there also dvd rom s format.I bought a xbox for my nephew and now the dvd rom should be changed. He lives in Turkey so if he buys any dvd rom drive ( like samsung philips ) is the xbox able to read the game disks . ( also my xbox is unmodded he has bunch of original games)

shonne
Unregistered guest
actually 5 dvd-drives... thomson upgraded theirs. now there are 2 thomson drives out there. threat has DOUBLED! joking aside. the new drive seems to be performing okay.

emlo knows ur mom
Unregistered guest
hi i live in the bin and play xbox through the lid

ROFFLE WOFFLE
Unregistered guest
ROFFLE WOFFLE! LOOK AT ALL THE NOOBS! ROFL!

Bronze Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 68
If memory serves me, the X-Box uses a software based MPEG2 decoding engine as opposed to a hardware based solution. But, the X-Box definitely does have the chroma upsampling error.

And, quite personally, I would never rely on a game console for DVD playback. In the case of the X-Box, in addition to the fact that it's a mediocre performer, you're also wasting the power-on hours of both the DVD-ROM and the hard disk on non-gaming activities.

If you must, buy a cheap Coby DVD player and use that instead of a games machine; use your console strictly for games! - Reinhart

Steez-a-tron
Unregistered guest
Okay, okay... Gotta question for ya'll.

Awhile back I modded my XBox with a 120gb harddrive and currently run Xecuter (don't know which version) and have a variety of homebrews and NES/SNES/Arcade roms.

Problem is... I want more ROMs. Is there a way that this can be acheived? Can anyone offer any assistance?

I look forward to hearing from anyone.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
"Awhile back I modded my XBox with a 120gb harddrive and currently run Xecuter (don't know which version) and have a variety of homebrews and NES/SNES/Arcade roms.

Problem is... I want more ROMs. Is there a way that this can be acheived? Can anyone offer any assistance?"

Do a Google search for websites that have ROM images. There are some that have what you want, some that don't, and some that are pop-up prone.

Now, to cover my ar$e, downloading ROM images not in the public domain that you do not have the right to have in your possession from a legal license purchase from the rights owner is contrary to copyright laws.

With that out of the way, good luck. - Reinhart

Ghosts
Unregistered guest
will a modded xbox still play original retail games,because i went to try one and it wont play,i never noticed this,if they are supposed to play whats wrong with my xbox,im using xenium ice chip,evox dash,m7 bios

Bhm, Al US

Post Number: 6
lol kip thanks
I ended up getting just about every rom imaginable:-)
Im ewanting them as Im making an arcade cabinet, using the xbox as the "engine"

Bhm, Al US

Post Number: 7
kip
yea you could use your console just for games
but installing movies, pics, mp3s, home movie clips and games direct to the hard drive and never having to get up, is pretty cool:-)
the latest version of xbmc has added functionality for dvd
and dont forget, a modded xbox has the "progressive" potential.

Silver Member

Post Number: 245
Too true.

Or, at the very least, use the X-Box for things that can't be done on a DVD player. - Reinhart

madmax_2069
Unregistered guest
Hi

I have a version 1.1 xBOX that has a Samsung dvd-rom drive model SDG-605 on its last leg. i was wanting to know what drive is the best to replace it with. im getting mixed signals on what one to buy reading this forum. philips, another samsung, dont even mention the thompson cause im not going there. wich one the philips or the samsung.

also i read awile ago that one of the drives had problems playing morrowind

JohnK3
Unregistered guest
does anyone know any retail stores that sell that samsung drive?

Anonymous

Let me clear up some confusion you people might have, the early xbox's have a 'thomson' dvd drive not a 'thompson' there is a difference people...

Unregistered guest
thompson drives suck balls i have had two in my first xbox and the second one screwed my xbox
then never read discs properly and they are loud i couldn't play cd's and it made my xbox dashboard glitchy so over all they are just rerally badly made never ever bye you its a wast of money

;laewk ghlberbv.ey;
Unregistered guest
OK now for any newbs asking about dvd media playability first of all make sure you covert the media to a dvd format (I.E. something a dvd player without any of that stupid pointless svcd or similiar garbage can play) if your using a dvd to copy and failed(buch of blocks on screen when you try to play it) you obivously didnt decrypt the dvd correctly. now dvd contain different types of protection but im not going to explain that as it is illegal to do anyway but if you want to play video like for say i read someone wanted to play their wedding dvd just convert it to dvd format using a converter (a very good one is WINAVI) then burn it to a dvd-r yes a dvd-r as they are better that dvd+r use a good reliable disc like memorex. to burn them use a program like nero as i understand nero even has a burn dvd video files button to do so. anyway buy WINAVI, NERO, and some memorex dvd-r's and it should be pretty straight forward on how to do it.

Yes Please
Unregistered guest
Ryan Dunn,can I have a Hitachi pick-up & 1 of those drives you were talking about.Chances of getting back online?:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us