VCR with S-video output

Anonymous

Do you know where I can find VCR with S-video output? The combo DVD/VCR units I've seen seem to have S-video output only for the DVD portion. Any help on brand and price appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 537
You need an S-VHS, they all have an s-video output.

Anonymous

This is not true, I've been searching for one for the past several days and have not found s-vhs ones that also had output for s-video

Silver Member

Post Number: 599
I don't know where you are looking, that is where s-video originated they all have s-video output.

Ben unregistered
Unregistered guest
I own a JVC HR-S5912U and it has an S-Video output. Product page:
http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027008&pathId=49

Bronze Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 33
Massey is right. Anonymous must be from another planet. JVC still makes SVHS units. You might also find a Panasonic here and there. Try Crutchfield.com.

Silver Member

Post Number: 631
Mitsubishi still made them last I knew. Their VCRs are far better quality than JVC.

Everyone
Unregistered guest
I think he's talking about a combo unit with Y/C out for the VCR side, not just the DVD side. Anyone know of one like that?

Silver Member

Post Number: 650
The only VCRs with s-video are s-vhs. That includes combos which aren't worth owning anyway, poor quality.

Everyone
Unregistered guest
I've never seen a combo with an S-video out that works for the VCR side and I've looked all over. Do you know of one?

Silver Member

Post Number: 654
Unless you can find a combo with s-vhs, I don't think there are any, you won't find one. With the poor quality of VHS it wouldn't be much use anyway.

For Anonymous
Unregistered guest
This might help

http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027009&pathId=49

It must have S-video output

eldritch
Unregistered guest
I bought a scart adaptor with an s-video socket in addition to the other three audio/vid sockets.
It did the trick with my dvd/vid combo

trickster30
Unregistered guest
Anonymous is correct (kind of).
I've also been looking for a s-vhs video. There are a lot of svhs video's on the market (JVC probably still being the best, as they invented svhs in the first place.

However, most of these video's do not have the dedicated 4-pin svhs port on them -They run the s-vhs through the 21pin Euro-scart.

I think Anonymous is, like myself, after a s-vhs video which has a dedicated 4-pin svhs output.

I have tried the scart adaptors, and they are ok, but the picture is not as pure.

If anyone knows of a place (im in the UK), that sells a video, with a dedicated svhs 4-pin output connection, then please let me know, as I have been searching for weeks.

Cheers,
Richard.

Username: 4u2ges

Post Number: 9
Speaking of JVC... - JVC HR-S6970 PAL/NTSC/SECAM so should be good in UK
http://www.world-import.com/hr-s6970ah.htm
No picture of the back inputs but it says:
• S-Video IN/OUT on rear
• S-Video Input on front

Assuming a regular SVHS I/O

Unregistered guest
I have a cable box with an s video out and an HDTV with s video in. I'd like to find a VCR with both s video in and s video out. Does such a creature exist?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1914
You need an S-VHS VCR. You would be far better off to just buy a DVD recorder.

Silver Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 183
If I needed to get an S-VHS deck, I'd never buy one new unless it was a professional or commercial model.

Mitsubishi is better than JVC, but not by much. That red grease that they use seems to be fairly bad for the already flimsy plastic that's used to make a lot of the mechanical parts.

If you want a good S-VHS deck, get something like the Panasonic ProLine AG-1980 or find a late 1980s-early to mid 1990s vintage S-VHS deck. Sure, they won't support S-VHS ET and some models, like the AG-1980, can be expensive as heck, but they are better overall as they have superior mechanisms as well as A/V process components.

As for the s-video output for VHS, you can only find them in S-VHS and D-VHS decks. Regular VHS could've benefitted from an s-video output since VHS video is actually Y/C serparate (VHS uses a separate chroma-under-luma carrier for the color, which also applies to S-VHS as well as all Betamax variants and also needlevision videodisc [RCA SelectaVision CED]). But, the native resolution of VHS for both luminance and chrominance were so low that the benefit is too small to bother incorporating an s-video out on a regular VHS deck. - Reinhart

Username: Skirbomatic

Austin, TX

Post Number: 1
You are certainly knowledgeable, Mr Wells, but I wouldn't totally write off the JVC units. I have both a JVC HM-DH5U and a HR-S9800. Both perfectly adequate machines. The current model year JVC 9911 can be purchased for as little as $350 from legitimate on-line retailers (such as Vann's), and is a worthy purchase at that price. I do agree that a Matsushita (Panasonic) pro machine is an excellent choice, but may be a bit 'over the top' for the standard home user.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 536
Kip Wells:
"....needlevision videodisc [RCA SelectaVision CED]"

Ahhhh, now there was a stillborn format. I once saw a box full of about 200 CEDs sitting on a curb for garbage pick-up. What a waste of money.

Silver Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 228
"Ahhhh, now there was a stillborn format. I once saw a box full of about 200 CEDs sitting on a curb for garbage pick-up. What a waste of money."

I actually have a collection of discs and two functioning players: an RCA SJT-200 (my spare) and an RCA SGT-250 (my primary). I also have other formats as well, but I do spin my CEDs on occasion.

Anyways, to be fair, the format actually worked and did offer decent performance for the time. And, it probably would've been successful had RCA released it in the late 70s as originally planned instead of 1981.

Unfortunately, CED was released when LaserDisc had a three year head start, the VCR was already well established with prices coming down for software and hardware, and (the big reason for CED's failure) the establishment of the rental market.

In the 70s, rental markets were few and far between, so people either had to buy blanks at a premium and record what they wanted or buy prerecorded movies at much higher prices. Videodisc was supposed to offer the public movies at the price of a blank video cassette.

Of course, by 1981, blank tapes were cheaper and there were now rental stores and people could rent what they wanted to see for less than they would pay if they had to buy a disc for either LaserVision or CED.

In the end, CED offered no appreciable advantage over VHS, Betamax, or LaserDisc. CED image resolution was only slightly better than VHS while Beta was slightly superior, but the videotape formats, of course, offered the ability to record. And, with the introduction of hi-fi audio in 1983 for Beta and 1984 for VHS, videotapes were sounding better than CED's CX encoded analogue audio!

LaserVision, despite the fact that it couldn't record, did offer superior picture and sound quality along with no wearout with properly manufactured and cared for discs whereas CED discs could wear out from both loading and unloading as well as from playback due to its physical nature. In addition, you also had to periodically change the stylus cartridge in the player after enough plays.

What basically happened:

1981: CED is released with players from RCA, Hitachi, Toshiba, and Sanyo. (Other brands used OEMed players mainly from RCA or Hitachi, although some models were OEMed by Toshiba.)

1984: Player manufacturing is ceased.

1986: Disc manufacturing is ceased followed by RCA's acquisition by General Electric and eventual sale of RCA's electronics business to Thomson and RCA's record business to Bertlesmann Music Group with NBC (now NBC Universal) being the only remaining piece of RCA under G.E. ownership.

Of course, here's the irony now that I think of it.

LaserDisc was developed and released in 1978 by Philips and MCA DiscoVision. MCA DiscoVision was owned by Merchandising Corporation of America, which also owned Universal Pictures. Now, Universal has been recently merged with NBC, which was owned by RCA until 1986.

Of course, by 1981, MCA's LaserDisc business was sold to Pioneer including Pioneer buying back part of itself from MCA (MCA purchased an interest in Pioneer and the company was renamed Universal Pioneer for distribution of LD product in Japan). MCA could never make LDs right while Pioneer was able to. Since they had already invested a lot into LaserDisc, Pioneer continues LD up until the turn of the century. Add to this the quality advantage with LD up until DVD made its debut.

Sorry for the length, but I hope this serves as informative and entertaining. - Reinhart
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us