Sony XBR vs. Samsung DLP

Username: Mallu2u

Post Number: 1
I am in the market for a 60'' RPTV and posted some Qs on this forum. Did get a lot of answers but I consider Seniors to be a great resource and therefore calling on them before taking delivery on the TV. I am sure a lot of you out there went one way (Sony (LCD) or Samsung (DLP)) and therefore wanted to check if you could answer below for me. 5K is a BIG bullet to bite and a too costly of a decision to make wrong!! Just one last time:

-----------
I am inclined to go for Sony but still want to get some opinions/experiences since I believe the production for Sony is back on:

1. Difference b/wSamsung or Sony as a company? Also differences between the technology, TV quality and customer service? I have PQ of Sony is better than Samsung but.....TV owners out there can tell me better

2. Sony GW Vs XBR in 60''. is XBR worth the additional cost. I know I do not necessarily need the HDTV tuner since it shall not work with Dish Network but I am not sure if other technologies have been included/upgraded in XBR which makes it better.

3. Now Sony 60'' XBR is what I ordered two days back and abt 5K + taxes and Samsung is a bit cheaper so I could save money also with Sammy. But I want to make sure what I buy is not technologically outdated, and thats the Q abt LCD vs DLP as I hear DLP is a 'newer' technology.

4. I know some of you absolutely hate LCD and would def. buy a DLP and therefore a Sammy. I want to know why? Please!

Your suggestions would be very much appreciated. I could still go either ways and thats why I asked you this Q.

- thanks

Pembroke Pines
Unregistered guest
One thing to keep in mind is that the XBR has a very reflective surface, while the Samsung's screen has a matte finish. If you plan to put the TV in a room with windows and plan to watch it during the day, the matte finish will be more visible. I own the Samsung and compared it to the Sony. I feel that the Samsung has slightly better black levels, contrast and resolution. It has a significantly better line doubler/scaler. DVDs are much better on the Samsung, with its Faroudja converter chip. Sony's customer service is terrible (in my experience). I find their support people to be generally arrogant and less than helpful. You won't go wrong with either display, however, I prefer the Samsung. Also, you can connect the Samsung to a computer and surf the Web from your sofa.

Pembroke Pines
Unregistered guest
One thing to keep in mind is that the XBR has a very reflective surface, while the Samsung's screen has a matte finish. If you plan to put the TV in a room with windows and plan to watch it during the day, the matte finish will be more visible. I own the Samsung and compared it to the Sony. I feel that the Samsung has slightly better black levels, contrast and resolution. It has a significantly better line doubler/scaler. DVDs are much better on the Samsung, with its Faroudja converter chip. Sony's customer service is terrible (in my experience). I find their support people to be generally arrogant and less than helpful. You won't go wrong with either display, however, I prefer the Samsung. Also, you can connect the Samsung to a computer and surf the Web from your sofa.

Rob O.
Unregistered guest
I have the 60" SONY KF60WE610, which does not have the HDTV tuner or the refelective surface. It lists for $3,999 and can be gotten cheaper at CC if you can bargain. The PQ in HDTV is awesome! I hosted a Super Bowl party and the broadcast was available in HDTV via my cable provider (new cable box required: HD4200). My guests were blown away by the quality of the picture, and combined with the 60" screen, it made for a fantastic viewing experience. DVD's look great on it, but regular cable looks horrible in comparision.

My model is dated Dec '03 and so far I have not experienced the bulb problems cited in other threads. That bulb problem is my only hesistation in recommending it. In fact my neighbor, who was at the Super Bowl party, wanted to buy the same set after seeing mine, but I felt a little hesitant to recommend it due to the buld problem. I have a 4 year extended warantee, so I really don't have to worry about it.

Bottom line: The picture quality is fantastic in HDTV and DVD. If you are willing to take a chance on the bulb, go for it.

Pembroke Pines
Unregistered guest
I had the 60" Sony 60WE610 before the Samsung HLN617W. The only reason I returned it was because of the base. The base juts out about 3"-4" from the front of the screen. I'm building a custom wall unit and this interfered with the design. The Sony XBR doesn't have this problem because the base is adjustable. At any rate, I was very pleased with the quality of the 60WE610, especially with HD broadcasts. That being said, the Samsung costs about $1,000 more than the 60WE610, but has a better picture for all of the reasons I detailed above.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us