Ques on HDD to DVD-R Dub Quality~

Bronze Member
Username: R1t1joby

Post Number: 11
I imagine you will get the best quality available if you record a TV show directly onto DVD-R disc itself but then you are stuck with commercials unless you are very good at pausing them out during the recording.

But then that's what the hard drive is for. Taping a show onto the hard drive so you can make the precise edits at where you want your cuts, splices, etc to be.

My question is at what percentage are we starting to lose in quality?

Let's start with these predicaments:

1. A show recorded off of the air onto the hard drive at the best speed available (XP) then edited down taking out all of the commercials, etc and then "Dubbed" onto a DVD-R disc into the SP mode. Naturally you are going to lose some quality, since you going down a level from XP to SP. So the question is, does the quality of a show originally recorded straight onto DVD-R disc in the SP mode equal the quality of a show recorded in the hard drive in the XP mode then dubbed onto a disc in the SP mode?

I have done the latter copying shows from vhs tapes into the hard drive using the XP mode, edited out the commercials, "Dubbed" the HDD recording onto DVD-R disc into the SP mode and then went and watched the DVD recording on a big screen TV and saw excellent quality. As a matter of fact, better quality than if the original vhs tapes had beecn dubbed onto a vhs tape.

So basically, I think that same question is asking, putting speeds to the side "Is the term "Dubbing" lessening the quality?

In other words, if you recorded a show on the hard drive in the XP mode, then dubbed it onto DVD-R disc in the hard drive in the XP mode---would the quality be the same?

Is the term "Dubbing" actually transfering the data from the hard drive? Or is it re-recording the show?

One reason I ask is because I am interested in transferring my vhs collection onto DVD-R & wonder, to maintain the best quality, should I use the hard drive & edit out things I do not want or should I just go ahead and record straight to disc?

I know I say above that I have already done this test & was impressed but I'd like to hear what others opinions in their experience on this has been.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
BTW--I didn't mention this is using the Panasonic E85H model.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Ideally you should record your VHS tapes to the the HDD in whatever mode you intend on burning on the DVD. Then use high-speed dub which is in fact lossless digital recording from the HDD to the DVD.

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
That brings me to another question.

I thought I read in the manual somewhere that if the high speed dub is used then the picture is saved at 4:3 ratio causing a show aired in High Definition TV (as some shows are doing) to be lost. I don't currently have a High Definition TV but I may someday in the future.

My question is will I be able to see these recordings on the disc in High Definition TV when I finally get one of those TVs if I am dubbing an XP recording from the hard drive onto a disc in the SP mode without using the high speed dub?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
I use high speed dub exclusively and when I record a show in 16:9 format to my HDD and then dub to DVD it is dubbed in the 16:9 format. When it is viewed on a 16:9 display I use the Zoom feature to recapture the original screen size.

Am not sure if this is what you are asking or not.

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
You didn't mention, what mode do you record in? XP, SP or LP?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
The mode is not relevant to the process but I do use SP. Personally I (nor many others) cannot see any visible difference between XP and SP mode. You can record up to two hours and ten minutes on a single DVD using SP and this will capture 3 edited hour long TV programs (@42 minutes each after commercial removal), 6 30 minute TV epidodes or most feature length movies.

xvxvxvx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us