DTV with Infocus 4805

ronin
Unregistered guest
Long time listener, first time caller,
I have Direct TV and I want HD for the local channels. I'm not to interested in the Direct TV HD package. Can I purchase an Over The Air antenna and HD tuner and plug that into the 4805 projector?

Anonymous

The INFOCUS 4805 which runs at 480p is not high def, so the issue could be moot

However, to get at least digital/dvd quality over the air signals - any Samsung box with a simple VHF antenna or(e.g zenith HDTV antenna @35 dollars) - with a component connection - will do the job

Ebay sell such boxs used, real cheap

However its DVD quality digital in your case at best - not actual full blown HD

ronin
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the answer. Just some clarification, I'm new to all of this. You're saying because of my native resolution that I can't have anything better than 480P? The projector says it can output up to 1080i. Will my projector only show a 480p quality picture? I'm asking because I'm thinking of upgrading my prog. dvd player to an LG LST-3510 tuner w/upscaling dvd and a DVI cable.
Any help would be appreciated.

Anonymous

The reason why for example the Infocus 5000 (native 720p) runs 700 dollars higher than the model 4805 is precisely because it can in fact operate at true Hi Def

Usually manufacturers claim they can "handle" or "upconvert" for example 1080i signals - really doesn't mean that much in the end, except maybe line doubling or some synthetic method, or simply taking signals and converting them down

HDTV requires native 720p for these projectors

Unregistered guest
If the 4805 is not true Hi Def then what about the other projectors in a similar price range such as the Optoma H30. Can you list some that are true Hi Def in that price range. Thanks

Anonymous

http://www.projectorpeople.com/hometheater/all-ht-projectors.asp?sort=price

start here to get at least a partial list

Optoma H30 (DLP projector) is SVGA or 800 x 600, but below the true HDTV threshold

Only one I know that is true hi def in the 1400 dollar or so price range is the Panasonic PT L500U LCD @1280 x 720. The significantly better unit costs approx 800 dollars more which is the Panasonic PT AE700U, just introduced and is considered a major bargain for what it delivers

Sanyo has the Z3 model (LCD proj) just out which is also in the bargain range

Unregistered guest
Thanks. I appreciate the info.

Username: Dlgobeavs

Portland, OR

Post Number: 2
Clarifying question:

I understand that the Infocus 4805 only runs 480P which is NOT true HD. BUT...

Will an over-the-air antenna that picks up HDTV..give me a better picture than the current picture I get off of regular DirectTV through my 4805?

anyone know?

Username: Tehipwn

Post Number: 9
Is a projector with native 1024X768 resolution true HD? That's 720p right?

Anonymous

no tehipwn... a pj that's 1024x768 still has to convert the signal to 1280x720 for HD, or 1920x1080. Unless the PJ has a native resolution of one or the other, it's not a true HD projector, regardless of what it's capable of displaying.

Post Number: 10
Thanks for the tip...but 1024X768 is what I'm looking at right now on my CRT monitor. It's sharp as hell for gaming and internet; so even though it may not be true "HD", it's still very good resolution right?

I guess I won't buy this model, Optoma EP719. It's at my local Best Buy for $999. Seemed like a good deal. I think I may have shifted my "want" to a DLP rear-projection set now, just for the reliability, image quality, and repairability...even though I HATE the viewing angles.

Bronze Member
Username: Paul98

Post Number: 15
ok, you will get a much better picture with an HDTV signal on your Projector, than you would with DVD's.

Even though the projector puts out 480p, HDTV still looks amazing on it. Remember resolution isn't everything, there is color accuracy, contrast ratio,... Those 720p LCD projectors that are the same price as the 480p DLP projectors have more differences than just resolution. the LCD projectors looked washed out compaired to those DLP projectors.

Anyway you should get an over the air receiver and antenna to pick up local stations for your projector. I would say it's a must if you want to watch great looking tv. I almost never turn on my projector for television that isn't HDTV( as it looks like crap comparitivly). Once you get an HD signal sent to the 4805 you won't want to go back to anything else.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Yeah, if I buy a projector I wouldn't run regular TV or HDTV to it; just use it for DVDs and gaming. That's my only major draw-back of not wanting to purchase a DLP or LCD projector. Because after about 2000 hours I'd have to shell out another $300 for a lamp...If the lamp life was 5000+ hours I'd get one, but this 2000 hour stuff has me worried.

Anonymous

" the LCD projectors looked washed out compaired to those DLP projectors"

that's just flat-out misinformation. Some of the LCD projectors look washed out. I feel that way about the Panasonic 700 that most people rave about. Some DLP projectors look washed out too.

The fact is, if the projector is not:

1) a native 16:9 format
2) native 1280x720 (or 1920x1080)

it has to convert the incoming signal to what's displayed on-screen. There are NO budget projectors with videophile-grade scalers to do this well.

the question was "is 1024x768 true HD". The answer is unequivocally NO. Can it look good? yes. can it look terrible? yes, it can, depending on the source. But ALL HD programming right now is either 1080i or 720p, and a PJ that isn't a native 16:9 format CANNOT display that image without converting it.

Bronze Member
Username: Paul98

Post Number: 19
"that's just flat-out misinformation. Some of the LCD projectors look washed out. I feel that way about the Panasonic 700 that most people rave about. Some DLP projectors look washed out too."

we are talking about the same price range, so yes any LCD projector that you get in the 4805's price range will look washed out compaired to it.

"The fact is, if the projector is not:

1) a native 16:9 format
2) native 1280x720 (or 1920x1080)

it has to convert the incoming signal to what's displayed on-screen. There are NO budget projectors with videophile-grade scalers to do this well.

the question was "is 1024x768 true HD". The answer is unequivocally NO. Can it look good? yes. can it look terrible? yes, it can, depending on the source. But ALL HD programming right now is either 1080i or 720p, and a PJ that isn't a native 16:9 format CANNOT display that image without converting it. "

For sure it isn't a HD resolution projector. But then again that really doesn't matter more than any other part of the projector. But for any home theater projector, the HD image is still going to look amazing. And depending on all the other things 1024x768 might very well look better than a 720p projector. You just have to watch and check them out.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
If I were to use a 1024x768 projector for viewing widescreen HD content, would it just project a letterbox effect at the top and bottom?

That wouldn't be bad at all.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us