In need of Christmas present help...

Username: Wdegroft

Post Number: 1
I'm going to be purchasing a new hdtv for family for Christmas. I'm looking at getting a tube-type tv in the 30"-34" range. I called the cable company and found out that the new hd STB they will be getting is the Motorola 6200. I've read in previous posts that this video output is disabled due to FCC issues. My questions are the following:

1. Comcast said they will provide component cables with the box, should I purchase aftermarket cables or will the ones then provide be adequate?
2. Is it true that the DVI jacks are currently disabled on most STB ? It seems as though DVI will provide a better picture quality, but since my family and I are not videophiles will notice a difference?
3. I've been reading tonight and have read about lots of problems with compatibility issues/picture quality/etc. I don't want to spend more money just to create more headaches. Is it as simple as "plug & play" when the tv is connected via component cables?

I appreciate any help/advice that you would be able to give me on this. Hopefully by the time I purchase all this I'll know a little more and will impress my wife with all my technical knowledge! Thanks again.

-Will

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
1. No additional cables are necessary.
2. Often true but irrelevant in your case.
2a.No difference
3. Yes, quite simple, you installation tech will have it all set-up prior to his departure.

PS A 30" HDTV will not look much different to you than what you are now viewing.

xvxvxvx

Username: Wdegroft

Post Number: 2
xvxvxvx

What is the smallest size tv that you would recommend for HDTV viewing? If I get a 34" will it look any better?

Anonymous

MIN SIZE W/B 42 INCHES, perhaps 50 to 60 inch unless you plan to sit very close to the set. However I too have Comcast and with hi def available decided to go to front projector for reasons discussed below. However with even a 34 inch hi def CRT - you will need to sit approx 3 feet from screen to get full impact. At 6 foot you will lose much of the detail.

If you want the benefits of DVI via Comcast etc -the low end sets don't have the DVI or HDMI hookups. Otherwise using just component cables one could buy a pretty good CRT 50 inch box for around less than a 1000 at Walmart or Circuit City. They are heavy but produce decent pictures

Reasons I went with the projector

1. more flexibility - can vary screen size and location if need be
2. extra semi-dedicated theater room available (i.e because projectors should not necessarily be the main tv setup - because they require careful handling,
3. Cheaper than buying a good quality 50 to 60 inch lcd projector, e.g Sony 60 inch lcd's cost 3500 plus in most cases
4. technology has just broken through - what used to cost 10k now cost 2k and produces a better picture

RESULTS - using COMCAST provided Hi definition digital video recorder DCT6400 with high quality (Monster) DVI to HDMI hookup from DVR to PROJECTOR (PANSONIC PT-AE700U LCD)

1. using test size of 80 inch 16:9 diagonal (5 dollars worth of poster board) from a
projector distance of 110 inches - I am
getting picture far better than movie
theaters - actually closer to IMAX level

2. no so-called "screen door" from even
as close as 7 feet viewing distance
as 7 feet away viewing distance.

3. brightness so good that even with lights
up moderate - picture still intense

TOTAL COST OF SETUP

PROJECTOR - approx $2200
SCREEN (on the way) - tripod 92 inch 16:9 - $180

I believe these new generation front projectors will make most standard box tv's obsolete soon for any dedicated home movie viewer.

Of course with kids of a certain age having access to the tv - a front projector with simple table mount (actually an optimized method for picture quality) a projector is not practical - unless on has a way to protect it when not in use -ie. a cover etc

Also, projectors need bulb replacements every 3000 hr or so - so you don't run them as night lights and so forth

Unregistered guest
Iam in need not only for Christmas; Ihave 2 wonderful children; Ilost my job due to cancer I cant work now; I have taken care of the elederly for 15 years; I wish I could work but i am in to much pain I cant afford my meds ; but my main concern is my children ; iwant them to have 1 last Christmas with me they will remember;we are barely eating. God bless anyone who could help us one dollar anything God will bless you. MY email is sdm777@aol.com I dont know how I even got here and doubt Ill find it again so please email me. THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unregistered guest
Iam in need not only for Christmas; Ihave 2 wonderful children; Ilost my job due to cancer I cant work now; I have taken care of the elederly for 15 years; I wish I could work but i am in to much pain I cant afford my meds ; but my main concern is my children ; iwant them to have 1 last Christmas with me they will remember;we are barely eating. God bless anyone who could help us one dollar anything God will bless you. MY email is sdm777@aol.com I dont know how I even got here and doubt Ill find it again so please email me. THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unregistered guest
iam 38 have three kids age are 16 14 12 iam disabalty i get a ssi check i dont know how iam going to buy my kids gift my kids needs clothes and shoes i need help plz help me have christmas for my kids my 14 year old got a learing disbalty he cant read are do math we have been working with him plz make him happy to see christmas under the tree this year thank you so much roxana

Unregistered guest
I'm a 32 year old male that has lost my job because of heart problems.My girlfriend of 9 years is disabled.We are trying to find some kind of help for our children for christmas.We usually help other familys each year but now we cant even help ours.We have 5 girls ages 13,13,11,8,and 3.If theres anyone that can help please contact us.but please dont down me for needing help.Brian K.4605 Arroyo trail Louisville Kentucky 40229.Thank you for reading this and God Bless.

Unregistered guest
I'm a 32 year old male that has lost my job because of heart problems.My girlfriend of 9 years is disabled.We are trying to find some kind of help for our children for christmas.We usually help other familys each year but now we cant even help ours.We have 5 girls ages 13,13,11,8,and 3.If theres anyone that can help please contact us.but please dont down me for needing help.Brian K.4605 Arroyo trail Louisville Kentucky 40229.Thank you for reading this and God Bless.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us