Samsung HLN5065W HDTV question

Username: Producernyc

Bellmore, New York USA

Post Number: 1
Quick question...I recently purchased a Samsung 50" DLP model # HLN5065W

I have Cablevision scheduled to come this week to set up the HD/DVR cable box. When I read all of the product infomation on the model, I don't see anything that says "HD Ready". It says the tv is a "hdtv monitor television".

My question is, do I need extra equipment that makes this tv hdtv ready. Or, am I just paranoid & cablevision is good enough to set the set up to broadcast in high definition..? All there are is DVI connections in the back.

Second question, the images currently look stretched! Is this because I have my SD cable running into the tv right now (non-HD signal)? Will this be resolved when the HD box is hooked up?

Of course, all of my questions are newbie related stuff, but I was hoping someone more informed than myself about this product might be able to calm my fears here! Thanks so much.

Feel free to e-mail me at: jiwphish@yahoo.com

Jason

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
HD Ready and HDTV monitors are the same, no problem for you there. The Sammy HLN series should allow you to select whether or not 4:3 SD is stretched or displayed in the correct aspect ratio. Refer to your owners manual on how to change these settings.

Enjoy your HD coming soon!!

xvxvxvx

Username: Producernyc

Bellmore, New York USA

Post Number: 2
thanks for the info.. Honestly though, I totally understand how to switch the picture size between widescreen, panarama, zoom1, zoom2, and 4:3...

My pet peeve is that in 4:3 you see normal/standard images not strecthed, but you get the black vertical bars framing the picture. I can't stand the way it looks. Is there a way to resolve this framing issue? and have no black bars?

Second is, do you know whether or not the images will seem less stretched once I have my HD cable box installed? Currently, with the regular, non-hd cable box, the picture looks really off (stretched)...people's heads are weird looking.

thanks for the info about the hdtv stuff

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
My pet peeve is that in 4:3 you see normal/standard images not strecthed, but you get the black vertical bars framing the picture. I can't stand the way it looks. Is there a way to resolve this framing issue? and have no black bars?

Not to seem too harsh but I suppose you should not have purchased a widescreen tv.

Second is, do you know whether or not the images will seem less stretched once I have my HD cable box installed? Currently, with the regular, non-hd cable box, the picture looks really off (stretched)...people's heads are weird looking.

Again this is why I referred you to your owners manual. You said you understand how to adjust the different zoom functions on your display yet if you did the heads should not appear stretched when vieved in the original aspect ratio.

As for your new STB all that will change is that you will get whatever shows are being broadcast in HD in a 16:9 widescreen ration and in high definition. Your SD 4:3 material will still have the vertical bars as will any SD material broadcast on your digital HD channels.

In fact it gets worse not better. Some (in fact many) movies filmed in 2.35:1 aspect ratio will still have horizontal black bars when viewed on your 16:9 display. You may not like it in OAR (Original Aspect Ratio) but that is the way it will appear on your display.

Good luck,

xvxvxvx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us