30" widescreen HDTV vs. 32" standard non-HD

Bronze Member
Username: Lytalbayre

Post Number: 32
So, right now I have a 32" standard viewing size JVC tv. It's a little over a year old, and it looks and plays great! Has a flat screen, 3ddigital comb filter, etc. It has built in change of aspect thing to display widescreen images without losing pixels or something.

But, I wanted to move into HD, plus I watch mainly DVDs (very little standard dimension TV, video, DVD).

So, I found a good deal on a samsung TXP3075H which is a 30" inch widescreen with a built in tuner. The thing has decent reviews and I'm getting it for ($650 shipped!).

My first question is: Is the 30" widescreen going to be any bigger than the widescreen displayed on the 32"? How will the image compare?

Second: If watching standard tv on the widescree what size is it comparable to? I heard someone say 27"?

Third: Does anyone know if there are settings on the samsung widescreen to zoom in on standard video so it fills up more of the screen but doesn't stretch or distort the image too much?

Fourth: Anyone have an overall impression on the samsung widescreen?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
This will not answer your questions but I think you will enjoy this webpage. http://www.widescreen.org/examples/lord_rings_rotk/index.shtml

It will show you a good example of just how much you are missing by watching movies in 4:3 when they were intended for the widescreen audience.

Your new 30" widescreen showing a typical SDTV program will have the same viewing area as a 24" display. In other words when you are watching regular tv on your widescreen it will look tiny compared to your current 32" display.

xvxvxvx

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
I found the link I was seeking earlier. try this to compute those dimension questions you asked for.

http://www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi

xvxvxvx

Fred Craven
Unregistered guest
The 30" widescreen is nice (I have an earlier model TXM-3096). For wide screen movies you will get a little more. I.e. A 30" widescreen will give you a bigger widescreen picture.

And if you use progressive output from your DVD player, you will get the full resolution--4x3 screens actually get reduced resolution. All of which is a plus to me. HD is also really nice.

BUT:

4x3 pictures are smaller than a 27" (If i remember correctly) and if a TV station upconverts a letter boxed presentation you can get the dreaded "Picture frame" which is a "widescreen" within a widescreen.

Have fun, We love ours
Fred Craven

Holmes108
Unregistered guest
I'm using a Toshiba 30" widescreen television. I also have a Rogers HD Digital Cable Terminal. The HD movie network uses the full screen, DVD's use the whole screen, and my Xbox uses the full screen. However, it won't let me stretch standard cable channels to full screen, and letterbox movies on standard channels also show as "widescreen inside widescreen". Is there not anyways around this. I feel I've checked every setting.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
There should be an internal menu you can change on your STB (set top box) that will output SD material in 480i format so that you can then use a screen size adjustment on your Toshiba. Is your STB from Rogers made by Motorola or Scientific Atlanta?

xvxvxvx

Holmes108
Unregistered guest
It's Scientific Atlanta 8000HD PVR (hopefully soon to be 8300)

I'll check the options, but I don't remember such a setting. I'll let you know if I have any luck.

Thanks for your input.

Holmes108
Unregistered guest
I found the setting. The STB does have an option to either stretch or zoom. Thanks alot!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us