5663W vs. 5674W

Anonymous

Hello.

I've been perusing this and the High Def forums for a while now. I'm purchasing a Samsung DLP and am aware of the problems some have had. I want a 56" screen, though, and Samsung is the only brand that will fit in the cabinet.

The HL-P5674 is now available. My question is, should I pay the extra money and buy it, or do you think the HL-P5663W will work O.K.? I know the 63 is equipped with a 3 chip and a 7-segment color wheel, while the 74 has a 2+ chip and a 6-segment wheel.

What would you do?

Hblaze
Unregistered guest
I went to a local outfit here in Bellevue, Wa -- Magnolia Hifi-- and checked out the new 74 series. It's clearly better than the 63 series in terms of black level and detail. Like you, perhaps, I'm wondering if it's "different enough" to go for it versus the 63 series. When the 63 series hit the market several months ago-- I'm now referring to the 6163w model-- (not sure exactly when.... may be some of you might recall), it was going for around high 3000s among etailers (mid to high 4000s among retailers) but now they are below 3000 among etailers and mid to high 3000s among retailers. I'd imagine if you wait 1/2 year, 56734 will drop by around a grand or so. I'm wondering, for myself, if I'll wait that long to buy the 5674 then or just buy the 6163w now for about the same price. Side by side, they are different in picture quality but when viewed alone I'd imagine the difference will fast fade into long lost memory.

Good luck

Anonymous

Hblaze,

There are no retailers here in southern Utah that have the 63 and 74 series side by side. Thanks for relating what you saw.

You're right -- I'm wondering if the picture quality is so much better on the 74 that I couldn't stand to own the 63. The price difference is enough to make me think I probably should go 5663W right now, especially as the new chip comes out in the near future and will probably blow the 74-series into the weeds.

Hblaze
Unregistered guest
That was a fast reply :-) It was a tough and lengthy process to finally decide on a Samsung DLP vs other brands and tech (e.g., LCD)... only to now find myself at another intersection of a sort... between 63, 85, 74 and the yet-to-be-released 97 model. Like I said, the HD2+ chip (85 and 74) is clearly better in pq but what about this new xHD3 chip based 6197w? This one is supposed to have a native 1080p resolution with 3000:1 contrast ratio, along with other goodies. Will there really be 1080p broadcast or materials to watch in any forseeable future to make 97's technology relevant? Hmmmmm... TV's are now going after the business model of the computer chip and software, i.e., UPGRADE, UPGRADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Username: Phil_howell

Post Number: 1
I just saw a HLN-series at Costco and it's PQ blew me away! I think if the HLP '63- or "74-series are better than the old HLN's quality, then I'll be happy with either at my home.

Username: Kintvauthority

Post Number: 4
Hblaze,
I wouldn't hold my breath for the 97 series. I know there is at least one e-tailer taking pre-orders, but there is no ETA at all yet. I have no idea where they came up with the price. Probably just guessed a safe number... The XHD3 will use the same "wobulation" technology as the HD3 chip does.

Hblaze
Unregistered guest
Phil and Kin:
First, Phil: HLP63 ins't necessarily "better" than the HLN. Here's the lowdown: HLP74 models use the HD2+ chip which is based on the HD2 chip that the HLN models used. The HD2 chips are bigger than the HD3 chips and many have perceived (including myself) a more detailed picture quality in the HLNs than the HLP63w models. I've seen them side by side and the HLN has better detail than the HLP63s. The HLP63s have a "smoother" pq but not sharper detail. What the HLP63 have over the HLN is that it has a higher contrast ratio. Therefore, it has better black levels. HLP74, on the other hand, has better pq and higher contrast ratio than both HLNs and HLP63s.

Kin: the 97s are supposed to be released in the first quarter of 2005 but I'll believe it when I see it. The supposed 1080p that it's chip is capable of is the draw that many are drooling over. Worth the wait? I think so... as long as it doesn't get delayed forever. I'll wait until about march of 2005 to see it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us