Dish Network HD receiver to JVC VHS/DVD recorder

Username: Kevinhatchett

Dallas, TX USA

Post Number: 1
Please help. I have a HD receiver from Dish network and last night purchased a JVC DR-MV1S Vhs / DVD recorder. After reading the manual for satellite, recorder, and TV I can't get the thing working. My HD is hooked up by the Ypbpr components from SBR to TV. There is also this same connection available from the DVD and I have an open input on the back of my TV. Should I hook the DVD output up with HD component cables? Would this take care of the VHS as well? Also I have read that the component cables are the best way to hook all up, however please describe how to do that? Also the manual describes hooking the SBR to the DVD via Coax or component cables, how do these connect to the TV? Right now I can watch DVD, but no VHS. HD works, but no idea how to hook up to record to DVD. I really just want to record my VHS tapes to DVD.

Thanks thanks and more thanks to anyone who can help me with this!

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 502
If you want to record VHS with a combo they will have to be unprotected, you can't use a stabilizer with a combo. The VCR and DVD hook to the TV seperately. Recording of tapes is internal, the manual should explain how to do it. The receiver should be hooked to the recorder with an s-video cable if possible, if not RCA jacks, not components since the recorder doesn't have component in. The recorder out to TV should be component if the TV has component in.

Username: Kevinhatchett

Dallas, TX USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks David. Very appreciative of your help. I don't have another source of video input into my house except my satellite. The JVC recorder wants me to put a RF connection on the VCR and DVD in knobs - what do I do? I don't think I should connect the satellite there, should I?
What is the best way to hook up the audio, just RCA jacks red and white? I included the schematics of the backs of the units.
application/x-zip-compressedUpload
Back of JVC DVD recorder.zip (33.1 k)

application/octet-streamUpload
Back of HD Satellite receiver.pspimage (60.6 k)

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 509
I couldn't open the satellite one. Connect the satellite with an s-video cable to the VCR/DVD input, then connect the right and left audio jacks. If it doesn't have an s-video output then use an RCA jack. Use the coax only to be able to watch TV without having the recorder on, not for recording. Use the component output for the DVD recorder if possible and the s-video or RCA jacks for the VCR.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us