Samsung HLP DLP HDTV Series

Username: Dave_h

Post Number: 1
Does anyone have information on the new Samsung DLP series (HLP)coming out in the next few months (2nd quarter of 04)? I understand that this is the 3rd generation Samsung DLP after the HLN series which was significantly improved over the older HLM series. The material that I have found that this new HLP series (which will come in many sizes and models) uses the new TI DLP HD3 chip which claims to solve existing problems with the HLN series and adds increased brightness, a 1500:1 contrast ration, and a smoother seamless, video. I was about to purchase the the current NLN507W but now I think I will wait a few months for the new HLP5063W. Does anyone have any comments or additional information on the HLP series?

Username: Larry_d

Post Number: 19
www.dtvmax.com/main.htm
Looks like I'm waitin' 'til next Christmas for the new 50 incher.

Username: Jwolff

The HLP comes out in Q2 04 only use the HD2+ chip. If you want the HD3 (1080) you need to wait until then end of the year.

arungupta
Unregistered guest
For all 2004 DLP models including Samsung HLP, See:
http://www.digiupdate.com/105_DLP_RPTV.html

Bronze Member
Username: Dave_h

Post Number: 13
Thanks, I checked out the web page: http://www.digiupdate.com/105_DLP_RPTV.html and it answered all the questions that I had on not only the Sammy HLP DLP series but also on competing DLP brands. The bottom line says that these new sets will be available in the very near future (several months or less) and that Samsung is still ahead of the pack.

Unregistered guest
Thanks for the insight on DLPs!
Which is a better chip the HD2+ or the HD3? Per the digiupdate, the contrast ratio is better on the HD2+, but Samsung is placing HD3 in their new lineup for 2004 - cheaper to produce in volume!
I plan to wait for the XHD3 it appears even if delayed it will be worth the wait!
Thanks again for the HLP insight, very good guidance.

1080p
Unregistered guest
that is a great link! i'm gonna wait for 1080p and for it to drop in price to where it's cheaper to buy the tv than it is to take a vacation to africa or the places they show on the tv displays.

for another source of information on new hdtv announcements, search google news and yahoo news. they post all press releases and news stories related to hdtv. just use "hdtv" in the search field.

Bronze Member
Username: Larry_d

Post Number: 30
Try this link: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?s=d691c55eaeee358787ec6c9c58b4501f &postid=3328456

TeeHee

Anonymous

THANK YOU "LARRY D" FOR YOUR LINK POST TO
AVSFORM

arungupta
Unregistered guest
This DLP TV list has now been updated. It has been expanded to include all the 2003 models as well, including the upgraded Samsung's HLN-1 sets that have just started shipping.
http://www.digiupdate.com/105_DLP_RPTV.html

Anonymous

Can anybody help me out/ what is the difference betwwen the HD2+ and the HD3? how come the contrast ratio is 1500:1 on teh HD3?

Bronze Member
Username: Heff

Post Number: 81
anonymous, just visit arungupta's links and you'll have your answer.

Unregistered guest
DLP Chips
---------
HD2 - 2nd generation, 1280x720, 1000:1 contrast ratio
HD2+ - 2nd generation+, 1280x720, 3000:1 contrast ratio achieved through a dimple fix
HD3 - 3rd generation, 1280x720, 1500:1 contrast ratio, doesn't have the dimple fix, has SmoothPicture
xHD3 - 3rd generation, 1920x1080, 5000:1 contrast ratio, SmoothPicture, Dynamic Black

HD2+ is better than HD3, even though it is second generation.
xHD3 of course trumps them all, first TV's based on this chip will come later this year (Samsung , 3Q?)

The accompanying color wheel has improved from six segment to seven segment adding more detail in dark scenes.
DigiUpdate DLP page has details on all upcoming TV sets and the chip/wheel they carry.

Editor - http://www.digiupdate.com

DLPcrazy
Unregistered guest
Arungupta: I bought an HLN5065W from Sears 2 wks ago. Sent it back due to A/V sync problem. 2nd set returned this week, same problem. I visited your Digiupdate site (very helpful, BTW) and saw the availability of the HLN-1 updated units. Went back to my sales guy at Sears, and he has called their Samsung rep about getting HLN-1 series. Sears says that Samsung denies these models exist, despite the fact that I have pointed all parties in the direction of AVSForum, Digiupdate, etc. Any thoughts on how I can get the HLN5065W1 or HLN507W1? I think I'm ready to thrown in the towel.

Unregistered guest
Samsung is not advertising the existing of HLN-W1 sets. As older inventories deplete, the new replacements are the HLN-W1 sets. It will vary from retailer to retailer, depending on their inventory levels and when they have received new shipments. The retail staff may not even be aware of their existence. The only way to check is by the label on the box, or the remote control, see the picture:

http://www.digiupdate.com/105_DLP_RPTV.html#_Samsung_HLN_Series

Unregistered guest
An interview on HLN-W1 sets with Steve Panosian, Director of Marketing for DLP, Samsung has been posted:
http://www.digiupdate.com/P001_Interview_Steve_Panosian_HLNW1.html

Rich
Unregistered guest
I've noticed that the new HD3 chip is physically smaller than the current HD2 chip. Is that a dissdvantage in any way?? Seems to me it might be as the same amount of light will need to be reflected off a smaller chip, which might be harder to do optically, or cause more chip heating. Or maybe these are non-problems. Anyone know?

meathead
Unregistered guest
are they going to make a 50' XHD3 and if so what might be the cost.

meathead
Unregistered guest
also should we just get HD2+ instead of the xHD3 or will it be worth the wait and money thanks.

Unregistered guest
HD3 is a 3rd generation chip vs. HD2 second generation. At least based on specs, this is how the chips would be ranked:

xHD3 >>> HD2+ >> HD3 > HD2

There are no announced xHD3 sets.

xHD3 is worth the wait, if you have the patience.

arungupta - www.digiupdate.com

Nick Cruz
Unregistered guest
Im coming from a 25" CRT (not the best of anything) and I have been looking to get the Samsung HLN. From looking at the picture I can get out of a 50" DLP and comparing it to what I have, I would say that the difference is obviously "night and day"! Now, I hate buying technology because there is ALWAYS something that will be better just a few months off. Obviously, this also applies to tv's. Will I be happy with buying a dlp today? Will I be happy next year? Will hd technology change so much in the next 5 years that I should wait it out?

tk
Unregistered guest
In my opinion, moving forward, you will have two types of competitive micro display technologies that will BOTH handle the future....DLP and LCOS. This is Texas Instrument DLP vs. Intel's LCOS. The only problem with LCOS is we will not see market share until 2005. Remember, other's will have LCOS but because of Intels mass production in microprocessors, they will be in the HDTV market for under $2000 with future enhancements not being a problem. DLP will have to continue to come out with next generation chips to compete, which will raise costs.
So for now, if someone wants a great HDTV, DLP is the way to go so long as you buy a later year delivery DLP HD3 or HD2+. The reason being is they won't start shipping 7-segment wheels until mid to later part of year. the extra segment is a green segment meant to improve rendering in dark areas.

Brainstorm
Unregistered guest
It was my understanding that all Samsung HD3 and HD2+ will have the 7-segment wheel?

Username: Gfunk808

SOOoooo, when are these HLP units really shipping? Samsung customer service told me April/May for the 4663W. Later for the 4674W.

Does anyone really know?

Username: Toastermax

Post Number: 4
Arun, any word on the new Panasonice DLP sets PT-60DLD64 and PT-50DLD64 ? The are supposed to be released around October 2004. Will these have the new xHD3 or HD2+ chips?

DLPcrazy
Unregistered guest
Good question. I am now on HLN5065W #3 from Sears (lipsync problems w/#1 & #2). Sears is calling this one a "loaner," since they are supposedly ordering me the HLP model version. 2 wks ago they told me it should be available in April, but they were very vague about exact timing. Samsung still doesn't list availability of the 2004 models on their website. In fact, I still see reference to HLM (!) models in the corp. site.

Unregistered guest
Here is my question:

Knowing HD via comcast will be nice, and my DVDs will be great with samsung's dvd player that brings DVD quality to near HD broadcast, what will improve the standard digital cable image since most of my viewing (unfortunately) will be simply digital SD?? Will waiting for xHD3 impact my SD viewing experience beyond current Sam DLPs? I am pretty happy with the HD and DVD with the current Sam DLPs on the market - but not thrilled with the SD quality (also when losing the black bars and going full screen- stretched images). I can get a 50" Sam DLP for 2950.00 right now (the all silver one). xHD3 may trump in HD and DVD, but if the SD viewing is not much better than current Sam DLPs, should I just buy now??? HELP!

TX Redman
Unregistered guest
tk,

TI has just as much (or more) chip manufacturing capacity as does Intel. TI is only struggling with yield on the DLP chips due to the complexity of MEMS devices over standard IC's. The only advantage Intel has is the amount of money in the bank due to the large margins on thier CPU lines.

TX

Username: Patriotman21

Anyone have any updated information on the release date for the HLP's. I keep hearing conflicting information. Getting hard to wait. The HLN's keep dropping in price.

Username: Cmfurry

Post Number: 2
I just talked to a friend at Best Buy and they are getting some in May 16th and some other models in the middle of August. I did't have time to find out which ones are coming when, but I guarentee that the one I want is coming in August! But I can wait. I just hope it's worth it as I too keep seeing the HLNs drop!

tk
Unregistered guest
tx,
I agree with most everything you said, however, LCOS technology in general has an edge in the HDTV market over DLP purely from a future upgrade potential, resulting in a bottom line, less expensive HDTV at a very high quality picture, wouldn't you agree?

I just talked to Samsung usa customer service, they say the release dates for the HLP4674W have been pushed-back to mid/late June!!

Dammit.

Post Number: 3
p.s. - what's the cheapest price on the HLN437W out there today / from where?

thanks!

FWong
Unregistered guest
Do all DLPs have the audio/video sync problem? Or is this problem limited to Samsung. I purchased a HLN467W this weekend, and noticed the lip-syncing problems right away. My salesperson told me a good way to judge the delay, stand and watch a Samsung DLP side-by-side with other rear-projections, when the scene switches. It can clearly be noticed that the Samsung will lag behind the others. Judge for yourself before buying.

Username: Capecodsox

Pocasset, MA USA

I need a HDTV today and cannot wait for HLP models. I am looking at HLN467W and HLN507W models. The only difference that I can see besides size is the HLN467W has discrete IR code operation. Can someone tell what that does for me and does it make the HLN467W a more advanced model.

Mr. Burke.
Please don't get confused between 'need' and 'desire'. They both manifest themselves the same. As a person of great impatience, I have resigned myself to hanging on for the newer models, even as my wife is looking at diamonds! Those, she needs!?

Pocasset, MA USA

Mr. Furry:
You are correct. I desired HDTV as baseball season is just starting and my cable provider has just added NESN to their cable lineup and I "desired" to watch the Red Sox on High Definition. I am a patient person but could not let the season pass so I purchased a Samsung HLN DLP. However, no diamonds for my wife.

bigcrabass
Unregistered guest
Do the Samsungs have lip synch issues? Is the Pope Catholic! Go to this website for a discussion on this issue and what other users say about this major flaw in the Samsung design!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=295677&perpage=20&page number=40

ladynole
Unregistered guest
I just purchased HLN5065W1..I am using the DVI connection to my BrighHouse Network cable box. I am unable to adjust the picture size . When viewing the HD channels the viewing screen is in the wide screen mode. I have the black lines above and below the viewing screen.. am i using the wrong connections? or should I contact Best Buy?

Pocasset, MA USA

Ladynole:

I connected my HDTV to the cable box using the component video cable (YPbPr)and had similar problems but was able to set the picture size (normal, stretch, zoom) with the cable remote menu settings.

Pocasset, MA USA

Ladynole:

If no luck, contact your cable provider rather than Best Buy. My cable provider is Adelphia and they have 24 hour service and have been helpful on a number of issues.

latest from samsung usa is 'end of june/beginning of july'...

Deepak
Unregistered guest
Ladynole:

On your remote press the # button for 2-3 seconds. This will bring up a menu where you can set the Res (480i to 1080i) and the Aspect Ratio (4:3 or 16:9). If you do have a HD Cable box then you should have it set to 1080i and 16:9.

Also, you can select the screen size by pressing the # sign once it is set.

Deepak

JeffL
Unregistered guest
Guy at Best Buy printed out a sheet today that said the HLP4663W will be in stock July 11th.

Post Number: 5
sounds about right...
took 'em long enough!

is this the first forty-something-inch on the market using the new DLP chip?

For delivery, try this
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=403973&pagenumber=1

Anonymous

look out samsung !!!!!http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=746b5ef650c8180d7c6b9e302e63591a &threadid=403535

Unregistered guest
I had 2 HLN507w's...... sent them both back....just in case anyone has color adjustment problems the set requires a qualified service rep to access internal codes...My unqualified factory authorized representative was a total joke...Thumbs down on Samsung service.......

Lou
Unregistered guest
Before you buy the new Samsung HLP model I suggest you call Samsung to find out where you can get service-I just got off the phone with their service rep and she was so rude I told her I was going to buy another model. She also said there was no service centers in So. Cal. I would really like to know how much business this woman has cost Samsung.

Chuckster
Unregistered guest
After reading all this over the last few months, and seeing the issues, I'm wordering really if I should be looking at a Sony XBR model. I know the picture size is an issue (34 inch) but with the solid reliability factor of the XBR and the lower cost I'm starting to loose some faith in the more expensive and troublesome Samsung???

Pocasset, MA USA

I purchased a HLN567W in April and have been pleased with it. The picture is superb. I haven't had need for a service technician but I have contacted the Samsung Tech in Buzzards Bay, MA for discussions and he owns the same model. The technician was very helpful and seems to understand the technology. I purchased my unit from Nantucket Sound in Hyannis, MA and their technical staff are knowledgeable and helpful.

Rob_M
Unregistered guest
Anybody have a new HLP (HLP5063W) yet?
I have to wait another couple of weeks for them to be available in canada.

Anonymous

I saw the 50 inch HLP on display at one Best Buy and Circuit City in Orange Co, CA. One didn't look any different. The other seemed exceptionally bright. Maybe 20% brighter and clearer than the RCA & Sony next to it. Adjustment? For what it's worth, I couldn't see the pixels from a foot away on the HLP. Not so with the others.

Unregistered guest
Just checked with my distributor. I am a dealer and am getting an HLP5063W for home. Samsung just shipped the HLPs on the 25th. My disty should get it by wed or thurs and I'll get it just after the holiday! I'll let you know how it looks. Can't wait!

Unregistered guest
I was at Circuit City looking at the new Samsung HLP5063W. When I pressed "INFO" button on the remote, it displayed 1920x1080 - it was showing Troy preview at that time. I understand that HD3 cannot possibly display this resolution. Any ideas?

Anonymous

francis - it probably meant that the feed was 1080i. The Samsung then downconverts that to 720.

Username: Torbrooks

I saw the new HLP at my local Best Buy and Circuit City. VEEEERRRRY impressive. I stood 18 in away from the screen and did not sse the pixels. I also looked at the HLP next to a HLN and a new LG DLP. NO comparison, the black level really surpassed the HLN and the LG. This television is a winner. I can't beleive that the HD2 + chip is better then this. After 14 months of looking I'm finally ready to buy.

Username: Gshady

I just picked up an HLP5063W this weekend at Frys electronics of all places. Im in san diego and i purchased it at the Frys in San Marcos. The set cost 2999 which was 400 to 500 less than anywhere in San Diego. I Purchased the 5 year extended warranty and the TV for the same cost as getting the set anywhere else.

As for the tv itself its amazing. I have not had any of the audio sync issues that seem to have plagued the earlier models and the picture is just amazing. 2999 is a steal for this tv and frys actually has them in stock. I bought it and took it home happy as can be!

Post Number: 6
4663 is in stock now... although that frys deal on the 50" makes it nearly a moot point.

PBH
Unregistered guest
Is Samsung still planning on ooming out with the Tantus line that has the 7 segment color wheel and the HD2plus chip? The models currently in stores with the HD3 chips, are they shipping with the 6 or 7 segment color wheel?.........TKs

CornfusedDLPguy
Unregistered guest
Take a look at the printable brochure for the HLP5063 on Samsung's US website. It calls out the 7 segment color wheel on the last page (specs).

Username: Jumping_jack

Any comments on how the Toshiba 62HM84 with the HD2+ chip compares with a similar sized Sammy with the HD3 chip. It appears that the Toshiba has the better chip, higher contrast, and is much cheaper and therefore better value.

Has anyone done a review of the new Toshibas yet?

My Best Buy says they will have it Sept 11 and will take pre-orders July 11

Username: Chris_in_sj

re: new Tantus sets

The guy at Magnolia Hi-Fi said that he heard November for availability. (for whatever that is worth)

Helpmeunderstandit
Unregistered guest
Is contrast ratio the only metric of DMD quality? If so, the HD2+ would be better. However, I recently read an article in PC mag that talked about the HD3 chip as the cutting edge technology and going forward platform for TI's advanced DMD offerings. They indicated that the HD3 is a faster, brighter chip. It also greatly reduces the visibility of individual pixels....the HD2+ does not. The HD2+ was only briefly described in the article as an improved version of the older DMD tech.

So I'm confused. Which is really better?

Lou
Unregistered guest
Does anyone have a Vizio 56 dlp? I saw one today at Costco for $2,999.00 and wonder how it compares with the Samsung dlp. Thank you

Tpny
Unregistered guest
Good question about the Costco set. No way to judge really, because of the very bright store lighting. But, it's not a HD2+ chip

Unregistered guest
Finally got the 5063w setup. I can't say WOW enough times. Blows away anything I have ever seen before. I have a Samsung SIRT360 HD receiver pumping out through DVI. The remotes for my TV and receiver are identical. I can control just about anything I need from the receiver remote, including DVD. If you can get this combo, it is nice, and you may not even need an all-in-one remote. Discovery HD looks like you could reach in the screen and touch something. If anyone is considering DLP get the HLPs from Samsung. I don't see why you would want to wait for HD2+ chips, it can't get much better. I do get the audio sync issue now and then on certain channels, but I also got it on my tube. IT IS NOT THE TV, it is the signal. Don't let those complaints keep you from buying the TV.

Bronze Member
Username: Martini

Post Number: 60
hmmm, well I have Comcast digital cable and I have never noticed this problem. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough. Anyone got any good tests to do for this issue?

johnz
Unregistered guest
Helpmeunderstandit had a great question in regards to the HD3 vs HD2+ chip. I to would like the answer to that question. Help anyone??

clueless_in_pittsburgh
Unregistered guest
See other Sammy thread for the answer on the HD3 vs HD2+ ... I hate when people start new threads on the same topic... :-( tough keeping track of both threads on here and some questions get asked twice... like its going to get answered any sooner - LOL

Lou
Unregistered guest
I am going to buy an HLP 50..can anyone tell me from past experience how complicated the setup is? I have Cox for my cable provider.
PS. I'm not that handy, I have to call a neighbor to change a light bulb. Any help would ber appreciated.

Helpmeunderstandit
Unregistered guest
Sorry folks if I've missed a thread that explains the difference (in depth) between HD2+ and HD3, but most of the threads all reference Digiupdate's description of the two chips and the generic statement that the HD2+ is better.

I wish I saved the article in the PC mag (read it on the plane and left it there) several months ago, but it was the first discussion I've seen that actually said that the HD3 technology is different than the HD1, HD2, and HD2+, which are all basically the same chip with small incremental improvements. HD3 uses half as many mirrors but produces the same resolution....Thus the cost savings and, theoretically, chip speed improvement.

If you can suggest a link (other than cycling back to Digiupdate), that discusses the real benefits of either HD3 or HD2+, I would love to see it.

Thanks for your help.

Boiko
Unregistered guest
Here's a link to the TI/DLP article in PC Mag
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1433533,00.asp

Boiko
Unregistered guest
Here's a link to the TI/DLP article in PC Mag
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1433533,00.asp

Anonymous

I can't speak for the technical differences b/t the HD2+ and the HD3 other than contrast ratio, but I saw the 50" pedestal Tantus model on display next to the HLP last night and, although the HLP looks great as well, the Tantus definitely has a better picture.

The store I was at was selling the 50" HLP for $3229 and the Tantus for $3950. After buying a good stand for the HLP, the prices aren't that much different.

Chip
Unregistered guest
The links listed above are misleading about the pixel structure of the hd3 and xhd3 chips. They imply 1280x720 and 1920x1080 pixels (mirrors). The hd3 has 720 vertical by 640 horizontal pixels. The xhd3 has 1080v by 960h. The chips display half an image in 1/120th sec which results in a full image every 1/60th sec. This means the 3rd generation chips have half the number of mirrors. By moving so fast the result is not being able to see the pixel structure. Even though the xhd3 has only half the mirrors, the end result is what counts. 1920x1080!

Unregistered guest
Hi everyone. This is my first post to these boards but I have found them very helpful. So, I thought I'd post a litte tibit of info.

When you go to electronic stores (BB,CC,GG,etc.) be careful when viewing their sets. I've been shopping around lately in preparation for building my first home theater set up and have visited the stores multiple times. I noticed that one week, the a new HLP samsung was on display with a gorgeous picture. Absolutely stunning. One week later, I went back and the same set really had a washed out look and the Sony sets had the gorgeous clear picture. This was odd and I was curious why picture quality had varied.

Long story short... the stores try to push the sales of their TVs for various reasons and will intentionally modify the picture quality to make the sets that they "want" to sell look sharp and bright. For the uninformed, this is a powerful way of selling a TV. I really didn't like this practice and thought I'd share it here as a courtesy. Although I doubt many posters on these boards would be fooled... but there are a lot of lurkers reading these posts for info and it may be helpful to them.

Jadin

RTRski
Unregistered guest
News about the xx74 series ("Tantus") tabletop models using the HD2+ chip was posted on AVS Forums. Take it (as anything on the internet) with a grain of salt but this seems to be on the level. AVS Forums has a lot of useful info, but their color scheme is absolutely horrendous...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=4068587#post4068587

Anonymous

Jadin....

I believe what you mention does have merit. I have been spending a lot (probably too much) time at a local Electronics store that sells tons of HDTV's including Samsung DLPs. When they first got their newer sets based on the HD3 chip (HLP series) their picture quality was much better than the HD2 series (HLN). About 2 weeks later I went in and the HD3 series Samsung DLPs picture quality looked degraded, and not as good as the HLN's (HD2) systems. I didn't think much of it until the salesman made a comment that he wouldn't buy the Samsungs systems based on the HD3 chip because their picture wasn't as good as the HLN series based on the HD2 chips. I wonder if this store was employing this sales tactic to try and unload there HLN Series Samsung DLPs.....hmmm.

Unregistered guest
Yes, it seems that this practice is heating up a bit. I just went to a GoodGuys last night and they had pricing and advertisments for the HLNs but were using an HLP for the display. I played dumb and let the salesman do his pitch and caught him in the act of trying to tell me that the TV I was watching (an HLP) was in fact the unit that was on sale (an HLN). I couldn't believe the bull he was handing me. But he must have been nervous because he kept telling me that the picture would look different when I got the unit home if I didn't have the proper cabling and video source. Which is true (of course) but I got the feeling it was meant to prep me for the fact he was selling me an HLN while showing me an HLP. I phoned the store manager today to complain about this practice.

Funny, I'm actually fascinated with these deceptive sales practices now that I'm looking for them. Going to check out the TVs is fun... BUT its more fun to play dumb and see what type of garbage the sales staff try to pull.

Jadin

P.S. To be fair, there are plenty of knowledgeable and very helpful sales staff out there. Just gotta keep your guard up.

nug29
Unregistered guest
Jadin,

I had the same experience in a high end store where the salesmen said he had the latest Samsung DLP, which I assumed was the HLP. He showed me the box and said that he had just ordered this "new" set for a customer. It was the HLN. Thank God for sites like this so I can educate myself and others.

Username: Captmycapt

Washington, DC USA

I had the opportunity to see the HLP4663W in action. I was quite impressed, with various inputs (e.g., HDTV, analog, DVD, etc.). I've read posts from folks who said they would rather wait because it has 720p resolution and Samsung will have sets released later with 1080p. What value-add would be associated with 1080p. Does it bring additional functionality beyond possibly a 'prettier' picture? That wouldn't be compelling enough for me, since I would be very happy with what I experienced with the HLP4663W. So, what other advantages would 1080p bring to the table?

Thanks

Unregistered guest
Tony,

I'm sure others might provide a more technical response to your question. But my $.02 is that if you are happy with the picture in the model you have seen, get that model! There will always be something better around the corner... always!

Hehe, the only advantage might be a lower price once newer models are released.

Boards like this tend to be filled with valuable information but it is often too high a level to the average consumer. While reports of quality or deficiencies are very helpful, they can often place doubt in your mind if you're level of attention to such details ins't on par with the one who posted the information.

My point is, if you're not interested in the finer points of a particular feature... go with what looks good to you and don't let the abundance of information posted here confuse your decision.

Good luck,

Jadin

Its funny that you mention the hlp on display with the hln part number listed. My brother recently made Circuit city pay up for thier deviance. We went to look at the samsungs this weekend at our local Circuit City (frys was sold out of the hlp 50's) and noticed that they had 2 hlp 46" models sitting on the floor. One of them was 3039 and the other was an "Open box value" as they call it for 2500. The one that was marked 2500 was marked up as an hln 43" but it was clearly an hlp model. We wondered if this was a ploy to sell thier remaining hlns or if someone just srewed up big time. Not one to let an obvious steal get away from him my bro tells the salesman he will take this oen box item. The guy looks him in the face and says "I just want you to know that it is THIS TV..This exact one!" My brothers jaw dropped and he said "Im ok with that!"
We had been visiting this circuit city for the last month and had never seen this particular tv on display which means it couldn't have been more than a week old. So getting an open box discount on a week old tv is just rediculous. Circuit city really dropped the ball on that one, but who's complaining..not my brother. The only downside is that he got the extended warranty that he just realized has the hln part number on in it. Hopefully he can call and get that rectified, if not he bought a useless warranty.

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
Never buy a TV that is a floor model. You have no idea how long that thing has been running and has been used.

Unless of course you know that it has only been on the floor for a week and its going to save you 500 dollars over retail.

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
But how do you know? Unless you've been there everyday or know someone you can trust

Unregistered guest
xHD3 details are out. A big disappointment for me - it is not native 1080p (1920x1080) as widely speculated, but a measly 1400x1050p.

In my opinion, such weird resolution (neither 720p nor 1080i) will cause scaling problems: you need to invest in a good image scaler costing 5K-8K to get decent video quality. I would rather put my money on a 720p HD2+ with a killer sound system.

Check out the latest front projector based on this chip at NEWS section of www.digitalprojection.com company website.

Bronze Member
Username: Tmskilz

Post Number: 13
Anyone can confirm what Kay has posted? seems very weird that this could be the case.

pepper
Unregistered guest
There was a question about setting up an HLP DLP but no answer. Any tricks or things to look out for. I just bought an HL p5663w. What do I need to know. Hope I got the right unit too?

pepper
Unregistered guest
There was a question about setting up an HLP DLP but no answer. Any tricks or things to look out for. I just bought an HL p5663w. What do I need to know. Hope I got the right unit too?

Tnitty
Unregistered guest
Is there any grea new technology on the horizon worth waiting for besides the xHD3? I'm willing to wait a while (several months or so), but not if there's no good reason. Thanks.

Anonymous

if you're willing to pay $8,000 minimum for an xHD3 chip, yeah wait! but nothing that would be broadcasted would support the 1080p, so what's the point of buying a tv like that? do you just want to be the first to brag that you have a tv like that?
I invite you to visit avsforum.com and check out the forums there.

Tnitty
Unregistered guest
No. I don't want to be "the first to brag" that I have a TV like that. Like I said, I'm willing to wait, but not if there's no good reason.

I wasn't aware that 1080p isn't supported with content. So thanks for the heads-up on that. I'm new to all this HDTV stuff and just trying to muddle my way through it and figure out if it's worth waiting a few months or get something now.

I liked the HD2+ Samsung and just figured maybe the next models coming out would be even better.

Grond
Unregistered guest
Unfortunately Arun Gupta died from inuries suffered in a bicycling accident in June. He was the ultimate source of knowledge for all things DLP. It is a difficult subject to educate yourself on and it's even harder to do the ultimate comparison which is seeing the top models side by side. From what I have been able to discern the new JVC and Hitachi models have caught up to Samsung technologically and are worth a look. I agree with the statement there will always be something new and better just around the corner but the changes seem to be evolutionary not revolutionary now. Also brightness is a poor standard to measure televisions by. The brightness is always cranked up way to high by default and will look far better after it's been calibrated. Fortunately DLP's can be calibrated pretty well by the user and even more so if you have an ISF certifed technician do it for you.

DLP-fan
Unregistered guest
Anybody know when will HLP-74W serial out?
I mean the Tantus serial.
I am waiting forever for these.

Esconion
Unregistered guest
Any feedback on the HL-P5085W Pedestal T.V.'s from someone that actually has one now that they are out? What about comments that the non-HD picture quality is lacking on these systems?

I've been waiting for these for sometime and have noticed that other manufactures have some pretty good DLP (based on HD2+) systems on the market these days.

Hysteria
Unregistered guest
Esconion, check this page
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=428777

There is about three or four of us who have the hlp5x85w series.

Helpmeunderstandit
Unregistered guest
Well, after months of agony trying to decide on what to replace my failed HLN5065 with I settled on a technology I had never really considered....JVC's version of LCOS, HD-ILA. I waited impatiently to see models from Toshiba (52HM84), Mitsu (WD52525), Samsung (HLP5063W). I even went back and looked again at RP LCD's from Hitachi and Sony.

Biggest disappointments: Toshiba DLP uses HD2+ chip, billed by Toshiba as the model that will allow them to capture a top position in the DLP market, hype hype & more hype. My take...Terrible black levels, generally washed out picture. Looked bad, even sitting between a cheapo LG and clearance RCA Scenium at Best Buy.

Mitsubishi DLP....OUCH! Check out that highly reflective screen shield. I ruled this model out, since there is no way you can watch it in a bright room. Liked the functionality, trusted Mitsu, but the reflective screen was a huge mistake.

Sammy HLP5063....Better blacks than my old HLN5065, better functionality, menus, etc. But the picture looks softer to me, not as sharp. Side by side with HLN, the HLP was a loser for me in PQ. (But it was a tough call.)

So that's it. Go take a look at JVC's DLP fighter. It seemed to have a sharper pic than the best DLP I saw, and just as bright. Much better color, due to 3 chip design. And, thank god, no more rainbows. Not sure how it will hold up, since it is a form of LCD, but JVC claims 100K hours, and you never have to worry about the color wheel crapping out.

Time will tell....

MBCA
Unregistered guest
Helpmeunderstandit:

What BB did you visit? I saw the Toshiba set next to the Samsung and Mitsu sets at BB in Hawthorne two weekends ago. The Toshiba had the best picture. The salesguy told me that the Toshiba guy had been there to set it up properly. This past weekend I went again and the Toshiba set was noticably worse than the others. I personally started to adjust the set and got it into better position vs. the others. Obviously, it was not properly adjusted (contrast was at 90 for example) Also, the Toshiba set was not set on HD and the others were.

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

Anonymous

FORUMS FREQUENTED BY IGNORANT PEOPLE JUST PERPETUATE MORE IGNORANCE.

ignorant
Unregistered guest
all knowing enlightenend anonymous, can you please let us ingorant minions know what you are referring to? Please grace us with your knowledge.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Trolls please stay in your holes.

Fact is that currently, no set can match the Samsung 5085w DLP2+ HDTV.

I will either get it or the new samsung with the next-gen xHD3 DLP chip.

NUHusky001
Unregistered guest
Kay - That link you posted is for rear projector chip. The xHD3 chip is specially designed for rear projector monitors.. as far as I have read. And in some articles they said the 1080 dlp chip won't be available in front projectors until late 2005 or 2006. Samsung will be the first ones to use it. So, I'm pretty confident that 1900x1080 is the resolution of the November released TV.

NUHusky001
Unregistered guest
*That link you posted is for the FRONT projector chip*

DLP-Fan
Unregistered guest
Here are the deal prices I got it from
my Samsung friend., hope it help :-)

1) HL-P4663W
46" Widescreen HDTV Monitor TV w/ DLP Technology
$2,074.50

2) HL-P5063W
50" Wide Screen HDTV Monitor TV With DLP Technology
$2,300 ?

3) HL-P5663W
56" Widescreen HDTV Monitor TV with DLP Technology
$2,520.00

4) HL-P6163W
61" Widescreen HDTV Monitor TV with DLP Technology
$2,794.50

5) HLN467W
46" Wide Screen HDTV Monitor with DLP Technology
$2,205.00

6) HLN567W
56" Wide Screen HDTV Monitor TV with DLP technology
$2,637.00

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Nuhusky001,

If what you say is true, then thanks for the info & clearing it up for me.

Kay had me confused.

Anonymous

kay is correct for the most part. I sit and read about everyone wanting 1080p and yet I would be willing to bet that they have a progressive scan DVD player as a source for movies. Oh boy, I sure want to see 480p up converted in a cheap consumer version of projection technology to 1080p. Please do me a favor as well and do not say you have the DVD player that makes it HD. None exist. Save your money there because those DVD players have the same up conversion circuit chip in them as your DLP display does so why spend the money to buy that circuit twice. Before you tell me you are using satellite or cable HD I want to remind you that none of the movie channels including HBO, Showtime, Cinemax do not show the movies in HD unless it is a made for TV movie. 1080i and 720p movies are not avaiable for broadcast. If you want a source worth watching at least go to http://www.dvhsmovie.com/
HD movies beat DVD or any other source to make those all critical judgements of picture quality.
Just food for thought before you spend money look long and hard and decide for yourself.

David Bird
Unregistered guest
Where can you find the HL-P4663W
46" Widescreen HDTV Monitor TV w/ DLP Technology
for $2,074.50?

DLP-fan
Unregistered guest
Sorry, that's the dealer price
(according to friend in Samsung)
The price about that is their profit, so you
may have a good idea to negotiate then.

Unregistered guest
I've read with interest all of the above. My question is simple, money "not" being an issue, do I wait for the 61" xHD3, or just get the current Gen3 chip now?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Barry good question, I've been deabting that for a couple months now. I'm leaning more towards the xHD3 DLP chip set coming soon.

tp
Unregistered guest
Hi
Anyone know if there will be a 46 inch in Samsung's 85 series (ie. - an HLP 4685)? If so, any idea of release date in US and/or Canada? Likely price?
My understanding is that there is a better contrast ratio in the 85 series (2500:1, instead of 1500:1) because of the newer generation chip (HD2+ , instead of HD3).
Kinda new to all this, want a good 46 inch TV, and trying to learn if it's worth waiting a couple of months.
Thanks.

Unregistered guest
There is no plan for HLP-4685. However next year there should be a HLP-4674 and a HLP-4677. These sets have been delayed 6 months again... They were suppose to be released 1st Quarter of 2004. Now it looks like 1st Quarter 2005.
See link for details.
http://www.samsungusa.com/pdf/DLP_Brochure.pdf

mmoeller
Unregistered guest
If you read the brochure correctly the 77 is has the only date listed for 2005. I have just recieved an email from Samsung that states a "Tentative" release date for OCT 04 for the 5674. My contact at Tweeter shows the 5674 hitting their warehouse on OCT. 22.

siccivic
Unregistered guest
all you people saying that the xhd3 chip has no use are crazy.thats like saying you saw no difference between 480i and 480p.480p was much smoother and sharper.Now they are going to do that for 1080i to 1080p you get the best of both worlds this way for sports you get a progressive scan and for movies you get 1080 for a lot more pixals its just going to be like the same sort of deal progressive dvd players.Plus the hd dvd movies will do a lot of 1080p like terminater 2 and other wmv9 dvd's now for high powered computers at some peoples homes.I tell you what,t2 looks faaar better on a 61'' dlp in 720p from a computer hooked up to my tv,then t2 looks in 480p on my denon 5900 dvd player.Plus with that tv i can watch it in 1080p twice pixals.So $6000 for a tv that will look far better then any plasma, that sounds good to me. All i need now is to sell one of my kids on ebay for 6G's.

audio nut
Unregistered guest
Check this link out. The picture quality is a little off because they used a flash, but even then it looks amazing. I will definitely get one of these.

http://www.audioholics.com/cedia/cedia2004/DLPxHD3chip1080p.php

audio nut
Unregistered guest
I'm going to setup a pc right next to this awesome monitor. The downside is I'm going to need a good scaler for all other content.

Unregistered guest
I agree with Siccivic to a certain degree. And I am waiting for the 1080p televisions. Im not going to buy the first one on the market for $6500, I'll prob end up waiting for next xmas when the prices are lower and there are other sizes (smaller, my home theatre room isn't big enough!) But anyway, 1080p will make a difference DOWN THE ROAD. right now I don't think so. the only noticable difference will be when you are watching 1080i and that will be upconverted to 1080p. Other then that... I forsee no large differences. Progressive scan dvds and progressive scan HD DVDs don't add more pixels.. just better contrast/brightness. Anyway, even with the 1080p not being THAT important RIGHT NOW, I'm still waiting. Because you know what?? NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT ANY RESOLUTIONS HIGHER THEN 1080P! So why not wait for the best... a best that won't change for a very long time to come. Thats my opinion. And of course I can wait.. some people can't and need a nice TV now. To each is his own. Of course if anyone has heard about HDTV going higher then 1080i or HD DVDs higher then 1080i please let me know!

Unregistered guest
I just read audio nut's (two above me) post... I don't get it... who will be using DarkChip3 technology?? On this link http://www.digiupdate.com/105_DLP_RPTV.html there is no mention of DarkChip3 for any of the Samsung models. Does anyone know anything about this?

audio nut
Unregistered guest
I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself. The waiting game usually works for me when: whatever I'm waiting for outperforms whatever I have significantly for a reasonable price.

audio nut
Unregistered guest
Although I do agree with you, it doesn't pay to be the first online for brand new technologies. This does appear to be what I've been waiting for. Now if they can scale down these models to a 46 inch and drop the price a little I'll be good to go.

Sunnycritter
Unregistered guest
What about the maintinance contracts sold everywhere with electronics? am considering purchase of a Samsung HLP5085W. Contract for 2 years is $379 or 5 years for $599. My question is..how much would the chip or bulb cost to replace. Are they more than the contract pricing?What is the expected life of these components?

Jimbo in Dallas
Unregistered guest
I got a 4 year service warranty at BB for $399 on my Sammy HLP4663W, which I am told is the price of one bulb assembly.

Username: Greginca

Post Number: 7
Bulbs usually run about $250 to order one, and you can replace them yourself.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
Don't credit cards offer warranties as well? In which some cases it's better than the ones that stores offer.

PJ
Unregistered guest
Anyone with problems with the Samsung HLN5065W1 ? I bought one in May and the light bulb went out. Called Samsung they sent out a nearby tech and he replaced the bulb and digital board. Picture has not been the same. This set had a clear almost 3D type picture with my HDTV channels. Now it looks like the rest out there. Has anyone else had any problems? Samsung has offered our money back or another Samsung HLN5065W1 should I take the refund or another set?

PJ
Unregistered guest
Just got back from best buy....they no longer have the HNL5065 it has been replaced with the HLP5063 suppose to be better. Set gets delivered this Sunday so I will let you know....No problems with Samsung or Best Buy in making the trade.

Username: Jegnyc

THIS JUST IN!! Samsung customer service reps have told me that Samsung is unlikely to produce the "74" series (hl-pxx74w) at all. Rather, they are likely to only release the "77" series (built-in HDTV tuner (possibly), but they have no target date for release at this time. Anyone know otherwise? Many of the posts have indicated insider knowledge of shipment of "74" series by the end of October. What is the truth??

Unregistered guest
Considering a Samsung dlp 50". will spend about $3000. with all the variations should I:
Go for the HLP5085 with the 2+ chip?
the 5063 with the 3 chip?
Wait (how long) for the newer versions with the chip/color wheel replacement using the "Archimedes"(?) thing? Read some problems with irritating sound from the color wheels.
OR is there a better option. I will watch mostly dvd movies & little broadcast tv, but would like HDTV.
This is my initial big screen purchase.
Thanks much

Anonymous

any update on availability of HD2+ chip 46" DLP Samsung TVs?

Username: Nuone

I have been looking at purchasing the HLP 6163. It is the size I am wanting but from what I am reading I wonder if I should buy the HD2+ model.

Any other suggestions? The 6163 looked awesome at BB but I am concerned what the picture is like w/o HD input.

Username: Moelawn

To all:

The 4685 is out. I have seen it (can't use it - I have a cabinet, so I bought a 4663)

The 4674 is soon to be out according to Samsung's site and Tweeter.

Samsung's specs say that the 4674 will not have a certain "cinema" feature that the 4663 has ("gen 3") and the 4685 (gen 4) do have. I have been thinking that maybe this is a typo.

SteveR
Unregistered guest
Anyone have the dimensions for the HLP5674W ?

Marten
Unregistered guest
Zack Allen,

Are you sure about the 4685? I have never heard anyone mention a 46" model in the 85 series (aka pedestal model, aka Captain Kirk), nor is it to be found anywhere on Samsung's site or in their DLP brochure.

I call BS.

Username: Mchuckp

I've been reading here and have gotten myself really confused on the whole 74 vs. 63 series thing.

Is the HD2+ or the HD3 chip supposed to be better. Seems like I hear a lot of folks waiting around for the 74 series which claims to have teh HD2+ chip. Is this the reason why or is it another reason.

I'm looking at getting one in a few month.

Username: Moelawn

Marten wrote asking if I am sure that a 46 inch Samsung 85 series exists. I was referring to the pedastal model that I saw at CC and compared with a 4663 standing next to it (I am trying to decide whether to keep my 4663, which is on trial 'til 10-17-04).

The 85's come in 50 and 56 inch. The 63's come in 46 inch and the 74's are supposed to.

I apologize for the misinformation.

Unregistered guest
Mike Pennington - The HD2+ is better then the HD3. Higher contrast ratio and better black levels then the HD3. The HLPxx63 series uses the HD3 chip. the HLPxx85 series uses the HD2+ chip. And the older HLNxxx series uses the HD2 chip. The HD2 chip is no longer produced and is only in the old left over models. The HD2+ is the chip to get right now. Only the pedestal models (aka captain kirk) from Samsung use it as of NOW. Next month (we hope) the HLPxx74 and/or the HLPxx77 series to come out which will use the HD2+ chip but be in a non-pedestal cabinet. The difference between the 74 series and the 77 series is that the 77 series has the built in cable box the FCC told everyone to start putting in their TVs as of July 2004. So, those two series should be the same quality. Later on in the year (Nov-Dec) the HLPxxx94 series will be coming out with a xHD3 DLP chip which will move from 720p (HD2, HD3,HD2+) to 1080p resolution. So the best quality DLP RPTV out right now are the HLP5085 and the HLP5685 samsung models. In Dec 2004, there will be lots of choices.

Unregistered guest
HD3 has 460800 active pixels
xHD3 has 1036800 active pixels
HD2 has 921600 active pixels

What HD3 has more is the "smoothpicture" and "darkchip2" function that gives more
contrast and smoother picture than the
HD2 chip.

HD2 utilizes diamond pixel, where as HD2
has square pixel. Actual pixel by pixel
the HD2 would be more accurate but with the
above two functions the HD3 gives more
clear yet analog like picture.

My personal opinion is that it doesn't really
matter what the technology or number of pixel
is like behind the scene. If the picture
it gives looks better than it definately is
better.

Looking for 46
Unregistered guest
Does anybody know if the 46" DLP's are going to come out with the HD2+ chip?

mlochbihler
Unregistered guest
I recently turned my hlp-4663 on and there were white lines throughout the picture. At first I thought it was my cable box, but when that didn't fix the problem I finally turned the set off and when I turned it back on the lines were gone. It has only happened once so far and I hope it is the last time. Has anyone else had this problem and should I be worried about this problem. I have already returned one set due to the high pitch noise problem stated by others above.

jaubrey
Unregistered guest
The current devices used in the HDTV's by various manufactures in HD2+
and HD3. The HD2+ which is the latest enhancement to HD2 product line
offers DarkChip2(tm) which enhances contrast for rich and detailed dark
scenes. The HD3 which is the next generation DLP chip, offers improved
contrast and features DarkChip2(tm) and SmoothPicture(tm) technologies.
DarkChip2(tm): The next generation of DLP's widely acclaimed
DarkChip(tm) technology, it offers dramatically increased contrast ratio to
provide increased depth and picture sharpness and true blacks and whites.
SmoothPicture(tm): Combined with our cutting-edge third generation of
720p and 1080p chips, it offers the ultimate in picture quality,
providing a smooth, seamless image.

Samsung has announced that they will be using the xHD3. The xHD3
offers 1080p resolution and the finest in picture quality with DarkChip2(tm)
and SmoothPicture(tm) technologies. As to when products will be
available, please check with Samsung at 1-800-SAMSUNG.

When new products are announced and more information becomes available
to the public, it will be posted on in our Press Releases at
http://www.dlp.com/about_dlp/about_dlp_press_release_search.asp.

For details on end products please contact the product Manufacturer.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to visit us at
www.dlp.com. Thank you again for your interest in our technology.

Sincerely,

DLP(tm) Call Center
Texas Instruments
888-357-2984
www.dlp.com

VManimeri
Unregistered guest
I just bought a HL-P5063. Is this a good buy at 2700.00?? Is it a good elivision?? I like it, but I also do not know much about telivision technology

Anonymous

Can anyone provide information regarding the reliabilty factor, ease and cost of replacement for the Samsung color wheel? It's the only factor keeping me from purchasing a DLP set. Also will the xHD3 chip tv's be at dealers before the end of the year? Thanks for any info.

gil
Unregistered guest
According to Samsung the new xHD3 DLP's will cost $8000-9000 and will be release around April
2005. I don't see the point of waiting, if you need a tv now I would go with 5674. Performance wise it's a bit lower then 5085 but not by much.
The major two differences are:
On the 5674 wheel color has 6 segment 9000 RPM
On the 5085 wheel color has 7 segment 10800 RPM
The 2nd one Contrast ratio: 5674 2000:1 versis 2500:1 on the 5085. Both tv's using HD2+.

red12
Unregistered guest
Samsung customer service told me they know they have a problem with the lamps in the 63 series and suggested I buy a 74 series. However, No one around here has it and I have only 3 weeks left to retun my HLP5063. Anybody looking to buy should wait. I wish I had.

Klaus
Unregistered guest
Red12: I don't know where you are located but in FL Sound Advice has them. They are owned by Tweeter so you could try them if available. Most CC and BB stores will not carry them since the HLP XX74W series is the Tantus model, similar to the Sony XBR line.

Unregistered guest
I just got me the HLP 5063W last monday.
I have problem with the picture quality.
The set is connected to DVD player and HD cable box.
In both cases quality of the picture is worst then in the store display. Just got me new Gold tipped cables. No significant difference. I am looking for suggestions, please.

klaus
Unregistered guest
Voytek:
What inputs are you using? At the minimum you need to use the component video is not DVI or HDMI. Also make sure that you are set to the right output mode for the cable box (720 p 1080i or passthrough) and make sure that your DVD is set to output 480p

Voytek
Unregistered guest
Klaus:
I don't understand your question. I am very ignorant in electronic world. Today cable copmpane came in and changed my box and i've expirienced a display i've never seen before. It is so magnificent that it is like looking through a window. Unbelivable. But when i play a DVD disc, the quality goes down the tube. How do i set the DVD to output 480p?

Voytek
Unregistered guest
Done deal
I bought Samsung DVD-HD481 player. Picture isue is solved.
Samsung ROCKS !!!!

klaus
Unregistered guest
Voytek:
Congrats! In all these threads are PQ issues that I think are unfortunately being attributed to the Samsung TVs. I just replaced my cable hd box with the newly available DVR and my analog PQ problems as well as most AV sync issues have vanished. The really scary thing is that it seems that the technicians are unable to deduce these issues.

Unregistered guest
I guess I should have listened to all of the warnings before I bought my new TV. I purchased an HLP4663 in October at Best Buy (along with the extended warranty). I got my HD box about 1 month later and I was blown away by the picture...so much so that I started watching Monster Garage and shows about bugs (just because they were in HD) and ignoring the other 800 channels I have!

Then about a month ago the problems started. 1st the TV began turning off and on by itself. It began while I was watching a recorded program on the HD/DVR box so I though that might be the problem, but then it started happening when just watching regular programming. At first pretty infrequently (once or twice a week), and never while watching a DVD or playing games, so I still wasn't sure if it was the TV or the cable box. The dislay on the box would show DVI when it turned off so I wasn't sure if there was a problem with connection, and there was nothing in the manual specificly covering the problem I was having. But today, on Christmas of all days, the TV went off and all the display lights came on (sure sign of the lamp going bad?) and I couldn't turn it back on. I left it sitting for a few hours and when I came home it came back on, but it only lasted about 10 minutes before it started acting up again. Needless to say, I am not very happy.

I have someone coming from Best Buy on Monday but now I'm wondering if this is even a problem that can be fixed in my existing TV, or is it just going to keep happening even if the bulb is replaced (or the whole TV for that matter). I love the TV and it fits perfectly in the new entertainment center that I bought at the same time, but would I be better off replacing it with a different model? It sounds like the HLP4674 doesn't have this problem, but I don't think that Best Buy carries that model and the price ($2550) and 18 month financing I got was a big reason I bought it there. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Klaus
Unregistered guest
Dan K:
I had a early model HLN437 from CC which had the issue that you spoke about. I had a problem the first night with the lamp turning on. Try following the directions for replacing the lamp and just reseat it. I now have the new HLP 4674 which I got at tweeter and it is great.

Unregistered guest
Klaus...
Thanks for the reply. The tech from BB was here today and ordered a new bulb and ballast. I've been reading everything that's been posted here, so I asked him if he'd seen a lot of problems with this TV. He said that 50% of the units that Samsung shipped had some kind of problem with the power supply. That may or may not be the case, but at least they are going to replace the parts. Hopefully it solves the problem.

Anonymous

I have a Samsung HL-P 4674W that will arrive from California on the 19th of January. My Son, who works for BB in Torrance, CA said it is an amazing machine. For my tired eyes it will be a welcome relief. Let you know how it is after it is up and running.

Anonymous

I have a Samsung HL-P 4674W that will arrive from California on the 19th of January. My Son, who works for BB in Torrance, CA said it is an amazing machine. For my tired eyes it will be a welcome relief. Let you know how it is after it is up and running.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us